Has Anyone Subbed for Prisoners?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by EZLN1, Oct 1, 2008.

1. EZLN1

EZLN1 Companion

Oct 1, 2008

So I was just looking at Craigslist, when I came across a posting looking for subs at this charter school who serves locked up adults. The pay is actually better than the rest of the district ($150 per day). I am very intrigued by this, and have just sent my resume in. I can't help but think that most subs aren't exactly thrilled at the idea of teaching prisoners, but I see it as a challenge and an opportunity to serve those with the greatest need for an education.
    Has anyone ever taught in such an environment? I would love to get feedback from first hand experience.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 1, 2008

I can't give you first hand experience, but I bet it'll be one of your easiest days subbing. Most of the time, those adults are better behaved than a normal setting because its either be in the classroom or in your cell.

4. JLW

JLW Rookie

Oct 4, 2008

I'd totally do it.

5. jemini99

jemini99 Rookie

Oct 8, 2008

When I first starting subbing I did a lot of work in a juvenile detention center. I have never had any major problems with the students. Most of the time they are very respectful and are hard workers. At times the staff may get a little unruly as a few of them are power hunger but the majority are helpful. Other than that you will have a peaceful day. One thing you should know is that you must keep your personal life personal. Don’t give out anything including your home city, number of children or anything like that. Don’t bring your purse in. They will need to know your name, I often only give them my last and that is it. Anyways, good luck.