Has anyone returned to teaching after quitting?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by Dr.Z, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Dr.Z

Dr.Z New Member

Jan 20, 2011

I taught middle school science for one year and it was a nightmare. I'm not sure if it was the grade level, the school, or the profession, but I vowed never to return to teaching. Now I'm working on a Phd in Microbiology, but I'm not sure a science career is for me either. I'm thinking of returning to the classroom after I get my PhD, but I'm worried that it will look bad that I only worked for one year. I'm also thinking about becoming certified to teach elementary instead of middle or high school. Has anyone returned to teaching or gotten a different type of certification? In interviews, should I be honest that I had a bad experience, but want to try again, or should I just say I wanted to pursue an advanced degree? Thanks!

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 20, 2011

Welcome to the boards. It sounds like you may be uncertain if teaching is the job for you, so I would recommend volunteering in classrooms before you make the financial and time commitment to pursue more education credentials. Maybe it would also be possible for you to shadow someone in the science career that you might be considering? If you decide you do want to return to the classroom, do you have someone who will give you a good reference regarding your year of teaching? It is perfectly acceptable to say you went back to school, but it would be more difficult to get a job with lousy references (not impossible, but just something you would have to creatively work around).
    Good luck with your decision!

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 20, 2011

I would say I wanted to pursue an advanced degree, which is true, because that's what you did. I agree with Swansong1. Maybe you can volunteer in elementary classes to see if you like that any better.

5. kab164

kab164 Companion

Jan 23, 2011

It probably depends on where you live. But where I am, an advanced degree works against you getting an elementary job because the school has to pay you more. Normally people don't even get masters here until they have tenure due to budget issues. I think volunteering is a good idea, elementary is a totally different world!