Has anyone relocated but then came back after a year?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ST13, Sep 6, 2015.

1. ST13

ST13 Companion

Sep 6, 2015

Many of you know my story so I'll spare the details.

I'm in the process of relocating for a job, it's been a long process but I am slowly making baby steps and will hopefully start soon.

Anyway, like I'm sure many people who relocate alone, I'm having a lot of second thoughts and feel very anxious about moving 6+ hours away and being away from family plus not knowing anyone in the new area.

I'm not going to let my anxiety make decisions for me so I keep telling myself to try it for a year and if I think it's really not for me I can move back home.

Has anyone ever done this? Was it hard to find a job closer to home even though you now had a year of teaching under your belt? Are schools and admin usually supportive of you leaving after only a year?

3. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Sep 6, 2015

My first two positions were a year each. One job I left to relocate to another state to be closer to family and the other job I left because it was part time and I was looking for a full time position. For both jobs the admins were understanding and gave me great references. In interviews, I generally was never even asked why I left those positions, but in the few instances where I was, I was honest. I think most admins understand how difficult the job market is for teaching and that a lot of candidates have to relocate or take part time/LTS positions to get experience under their belt.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 6, 2015

When I interviewed in NC, it was my first time in the state. Ever. I didn't know anyone within a 700 mile radius when I moved there (alone). I adapted and stayed there for six years. The first year I was flying back and forth a lot.

5. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Sep 6, 2015

I moved about 1200 miles for my first job. I'd never been in this state when I accepted the job (interviewed over the phone). Like you, I told myself if I hated it I could move back after a year. My first job was in a tiny, isolated area and I loved the job but really had no social life outside of work. My only friends were coworkers, and only one was my age and liked to go out on the weekends. I loved my school so much that I ended up staying two years, then looked for a new job both in my home state and in the largest city in my current state. As far as leaving after a year or two, it really depends on your admin. Mine was 100% supportive and said I needed to do the best thing for me. She understood that the location wasn't for everyone and I think she knew I wasn't happy there. She wrote me a letter of rec and contacted other principals that she knew for me. She also told me that I still had a job at her school if things didn't work out or I couldn't find anything and not to worry about resigning by a certain time. Others might not be so understanding. I think any new schools that you interview with in your hometown area would be very understanding, since moving closer to home is a good reason to be looking for a job.

The problem with my home state is that it's very common there for schools to not even start interviewing until the summer, while here interviews start in March. So I had a job lined up here in the city before I could really even apply back home. It all worked out okay though, because I absolutely love where I live now. I've been here for 3 years and have no intention of trying to move back home. At this point I have many more friends and connections here than my hometown and this is "home" for me now. I don't have a big family- it's just me and my parents- so that may have something to do with it. I was never the type to go home for weekends in college or anything like that, so although I'm farther away, it's honestly not that different. I do still fly out to see them four times per year. I know people that see their parents/extended family multiple times per week and I think those type of people would have a hard time doing what I've done.

Are you moving to a city or somewhat larger area? If so, try meetup.com. I've met most of my close friends from outside of work from there, and it's a good way to get out of the house when you first move somewhere and don't know anyone.

6. ST13

ST13 Companion

Sep 6, 2015

Yes the area where I'm moving is a suberb, so it's pretty close to a city....I'm sure once I get to know the area it will be easier for me to meet people and hopefully teachers in my school are around my age, I just wish I was a little closer to home so that if I wanted to go home for the weekend it wouldn't be so tiring or expensive.

I come from a huge family (25+ first cousins) We are the type of family that goes to grandmas every weekend. So not being able to be apart of that and missing out is I think what will bother me the most. I went away to school and was totally fine but for some reason this feels so much more permanent even though I know it doesn't HAVE to be.

I think what I need is the reassurance that if I want to move back home it won't be super tricky. The only reason I even considered moving out of state is because i tried so hard to find a job in my area and barely got any interviews let alone offers, so I want to have some experience under my belt and try again.

7. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Sep 6, 2015

I'm from a really teacher-saturated area so I have lots of friends who've moved for jobs, most pretty far away. (I moved for a job too but only 2.5 hours and still in the same state.) Some of them have come back after a few years of experience elsewhere, some of them have really built happy lives in the new place and have stayed put. I think it just all depends.

As far as how easy moving back is, I'm sure it depends on the area. I'd love to get back to the area we moved from in a few years, but for now, at least, it's so saturated and always has new applicants because of the number of teacher colleges in the area that I'm just not sure how easy it'll be. It's also an area still recovering from years of population loss so I don't know what the demand will be in 3-5 years.

All that said, I think if you do a year at the new place and decide you really, really want to go back, it's totally doable. The school might not be happy about losing you after a year but so what? You take care of you and do what makes you happy. Having made a big move previously, I would encourage you to consider committing for at least a couple of years to the new place though. It took me that long to really feel settled and then I couldn't imagine living anywhere else. It takes time.

8. ST13

ST13 Companion

Dec 29, 2015

Hello. It's me again!

So a few months have gone by and I LOVE my school. I'm not really sure how I feel about the position itself though since it is still pretty new to me.

Right now I really don't like being so far away from home. I feel like I would be so much happier if I just lived in the same area even if it's an hour away.

Of course things might change, but if I still feel this way by summer I'm thinking of applying to districts back home and seeing what happens.

How does this work with my current position? Obviously I wouldn't leave unless I landed a job but wouldn't they need references etc? I do not want to burn any bridges but I feel like if I am still feeling like the area is just too far for me I should at least TRY to find something closer. Right?

9. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Dec 31, 2015

Just be honest with your current admin. Tell them what you told us: you love your job but want to be closer to home. If they are good people (and presumably they are, since you love working for them so much), they will understand, and they will help you get another job closer to home by serving as references and writing letters of recommendation for you. If they aren't willing to do that, then they probably aren't people you want to be working for anyway.

10. ST13

ST13 Companion

Dec 31, 2015

But would that seem contradicting if I fill out that I am planning to stay in the letter we have to fill out towards the end of the year? The thing is, I do not want to just throw away this job without a guarantee that I will have a job back home.

11. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Dec 31, 2015

I would indicate that you intend to stay in the letter, but I would still be honest with your admin and let them know that you are looking back home and only intend to leave if you find a job there. Unless you know them to be uncaring people, it's very likely that they will be supportive of this.