Has anyone received a Supplemental Authorization in CA?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by CaliforniaGold, Oct 5, 2010.

1. CaliforniaGold

CaliforniaGold Rookie

Oct 5, 2010

I have a Bio degree and I am trying to obtain a Foundational Level Science Authorization, and I am all twisted in the paperwork.

I've been on the ctc.ca.gov website, called the info line, I don't want to make a mistake because sending in my application costs money and if I make a simple mistake, I would have to apply again...just want to avoid the extra cost.

Who has been successful in obtaining a Supplemental Authorization in CA . BTW, I am doing this on my own because I did not want to add on additional credentials while I was in the single subject credential program :)confused:).

Thanks!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 5, 2010

I'm not entirely sure that what you want is a Supplementary Authorization per se. You probably want a Subject-Matter Authorization, for which the rules are slightly different - but it will give you greater latitude in teaching. See http://www.ctc.ca.gov/credentials/CREDS/sup-subject-matter-auth.html.

In any case, your best bet is to go talk to a live person, at either (a) your county office of education, (b) the university from which you got your credential, or (c) the local CSU with a credential program - most of the CSU education schools have an Office of Student Services or something similarly named through which you can get good live counsel.

It's worth noting that the possession of a biology degree in itself may not qualify you for the subject matter authorization. The bio degree and the tools of thought you got along with it should make it fairly easy for you to pass CSET Science Subtests I and II, though.

4. KateL

KateL Habitué

Oct 5, 2010

I have a subject matter authorization in science added to my multiple subject credential. I got them both at the same time, though, so my university filed the paperwork for me. Still, I did have to check to see if I qualified. What is it that you want to know?

5. CaliforniaGold

CaliforniaGold Rookie

Oct 8, 2010

I guess I got frustrated with the process and needed to vent. I have spoken to someone from the University, they suggested I apply for the authorization because of my course work. I do qualify, I am sending my transcripts and the application. When you applied did you only pay for the 41-1 application or was there more (it says I have to pay for my live scan, but I already had it done...I am cleared with the state).?

Thanks