Has anyone read Love and Logic?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Schuyler, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Schuyler

Schuyler Comrade

Jun 25, 2007

I just finished this book and really love the ideas for classroom management. I will be teaching first grade next year, and would like to help the students learn how to act responsibly, make choices, and understand consequences.

I still think you need to have some basic rules, but would prefer not to give set consequences. For example, if a student says something hurtful to another student, I like the idea of conferencing with him/her to come up with a unique and logical consequence. At the same time, I know that parents like to know rules/consequences up front. I was thinking my consequences could be something like: 1) warning 2) fill out consequences sheet during recess 3) meeting with parents (or something along those lines). That way there are consequences, but there is more to it (if that makes sense) I'm just wondering how others deal with this situation.

3. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jun 25, 2007

I've read 2 of the books- one for parents, one for teachers. It is a good strategy in the classroom, you just have to figure out a way to do it properly because it takes time to train them. I would tell parents that you try to apply logical and reasonable consequences for misbehavior, such as, if your child is in centers playing a game and throws pieces of the game around, he can't play anymore. If the child has a toy at his desk, the toy gets put in jail till the end of the week. If the child fights at recess, he misses out on recess the next day, etc. You won't be able to cover everything. Some things you just have to deal with as they come up.

4. divey

divey Companion

Jun 25, 2007

Wonderful book! I used the strategies last year, and also struggled with the "consequence" part of the plan. By the 4th quarter of the year I had returned to writing their names under the number 5 (for 5 minutes time out) and giving checkmarks for "repeat offenders". It takes a LOT of time to conference with each child when they make poor choices. I had them fill out a "thinking log" and then I would conference with them when I had time (which usually meant taking part of my break time). I did find that my kids began thinking of alternate choices that they could make (without my help) very quickly, so taking the time for conferences was really very beneficial. I would be very interested to hear how others implemented the consequence part of the behavior plan in their lower elementary classrooms.
    (Even though I struggled with the consequences aspect...this book was a God-send for me! I had a boy with ODD and I know that using the strategies to help him talk to me calmly, and take responsibility for his own actions helped BOTH of us have a great year. In fact, I have already purchased a copy to give to his 3rd grade teacher!)

5. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Jun 25, 2007

The thing I like best about Love and Logic is giving the student the responsibility of choosing his actions by providing him with choice. "Johnny, you can choose to sit up and pay attention or stand behind your chair." I have basic rules posted in my room: Bring all materials, keep hands, feet and objects to self, do not leave seat when I'm teaching. These rules have a set consequence dealt with by flipping cards. However, all other undesirable behaviors are dealt with Love & Logic.

6. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Jun 25, 2007

I love love and logic. I don't know how to do a link here, but if you search the forum, you can find some other discussions about it. Also, there is a good forum at loveandlogicforum.com for people who use it and know all about it.

I agree that the consequences are probably the hardest part of the program. But, the whole idea is that the child is supposed to do the thinking - on YOUR time schedule. I often have my students who are doing something wrong 'go think about what you'll do' and tell them I'll be over soon. Sometimes it takes 20 minutes for me to get to them. No problem! They just wait. I usually make them do their 'thinking about the problem' at recess/fun times. ;)

7. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jun 25, 2007

I have the book, read bits and pieces of it and then put it away. So I am interested in reading it this summer and trying a new strategy with my new kids. I got a heads up that I will be getting a little girl with alot of behavior problems, likes to run out of the classroom, fall on the floor etc. So...I am desperate to find a way to get through to her. I just hope that this book can be beneficial for me. My patience sometimes run thin...:love:

8. wig

wig Devotee

Jun 25, 2007

We use it in our school and found it to be very successful. LOVE it.

9. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jun 26, 2007

There are videos available for schools. Maybe the school would be interested in using an inservice day for this. I do recommend you read the Parenting with Love and Logic book also, as it is more detailed and gives ideas of exact situations and consequences. I thought it made the Teaching book easier to understand. I used Love and Logic at home. One day I was doing my thing and said, "You are welcome to go to your friend's house as soon as your room is cleaned." My bright little 8 year old said, "Oh I hate it when you use that love and logic stuff on me!" :p

10. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 26, 2007

Saw the videos years ago and have been to at least 2 of seminars. I like most of it.

11. jeanie

jeanie Companion

Jun 26, 2007

Last year after reading the book, I went ahead and implemented the philosophy in the classroom. I did not identify it to parents as Love and Logic, but essentially it is the discipline method I feel suits me best. The only "consequence" that was consistently used was that every night I had a section on their homework page which reported their child's social behavior level for the day. I submitted this to parents so that they could have the opportunity to talk to their children about their expectations. The bottom line, though, was that it gave me a definitive way of describing appropriate expected behavior to the kids. It made clear my expectations, and also gave them a target to work for that they understood!
    I taught second and third graders in my split class the word "anarchy" on the first day of school.
    I used these terms to describe the level of social behavior and "scores":
    5... Delightful. Students do what they know is right with no reminders
    4...Cool. Students listen, practice and cooperate with some teacher guidance
    3...(I added this level) Training to be in the Top Two sometimes appropriate, sometimes correct, cooperates after teacher guidance. Perhaps an entire morning or afternoon was very good. Perhaps a brief period in the day needed frequent reminders. I added this level because sometimes kids just need something positive to work towards when they know they just really messed up.
    2....Bothersome Bossing, bothering or breaking the rules (Not appropriate or acceptable)
    1... Anarchy....Noisy, out of control, or unsafe behavior. No one is safe or happy

When kids misbehaved I would ask them to think about what level of behavior they were at right now. After the level was identified, we talked about how they could change that behavior. I found it very effective. I just didn't need any thing else.

12. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2007

I've read the book and attended a workshop.

Just a funny side note, I rode the school bus with the younger Dr. Fay.:p

13. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jun 26, 2007

It's a really neat book, and I have it. Since I have this plethora of free boredom time, I'll probably read it again. :)

I thought next year that a consequence can be writing an apology letter to the parents. I want them to realize that their actions affect their parents as well as them. I'll follow through with a phone call to make sure the parent receives the letter- most parents, even the ones who don't care, will acknowledge it, hopefully.

14. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 29, 2007

One of the things I like about L&L is the delayed consequences. I'm not sure what this would like like in first grade, but when a child does something in my class that is outside the realm of typical classroom problems (such as talking out) I tell them I'll have to do somehting about this but I need some time to think about it. I try to get back to them in the next couple days with a logical consequence. First grade might look more like 20-30 minutes later. the point is you don't need to have consequences to give out that very second.

15. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 29, 2007

Is anyone here going to the Wichita conference July 9-13?