Has anyone published a children's book?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by MuggleBug, Apr 19, 2011.

1. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Apr 19, 2011

Having a children's book published has always been a goal of mine. I'm planning to stay home with my kids for a few years and thought this would be a great time to work on that goal. I was just wondering if anyone had done this and could offer some pointers. :)

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 19, 2011

Many publishers will not even open unsolicited manuscripts, sadly.

That said, I have a friend who sent out to 40 publishers and did get accepted by one.

4. StudentTeach

StudentTeach Comrade

Apr 19, 2011

5. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Apr 19, 2011

Thanks for the links! I went to school with a guy that went to a 1-day workshop on how to publish a children's book and got hooked up that way. I'll have to see if there's anything like that near me sometime. We have a couple local teachers that are published children/young adult authors so maybe I can touch base with them as well.

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 19, 2011

It's on my list as well! :)

7. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Apr 19, 2011

Awesome! I think it will be fun.

8. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Apr 19, 2011

It's also one of my goals to write and publish a children's book. I have my idea for the book and have even started writing it out. The wall that I've hit is trying to simplify the wording for the age group I want to write for.

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 19, 2011

It's been kind of a pipe dream for me as well to write & publish a children's book or better yet, a series of books. I could write it & my BF, who's an artist could illustrate. Actually, I could be the illustrator too if I wanted to. :) Maybe I'll do it someday.

StudentTeach, thanks for the links.

Finding some kind of workshop sounds good too. I can definitely see myself going to one of those.

10. bros

bros Phenom

Apr 19, 2011

another guide to getting published is on the website of fantasy author Piers Anthony, www.hipiers.com

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 19, 2011

Thanks bros.

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 19, 2011

I was going to mention The Writer's Market. With that you can find out which publishers accept unsolicited manuscripts.

13. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Apr 21, 2011

It is on my dream list and I have a thousand ideas. I have several illustrators in mind. But, I heard that publishers want to choose the illustrators for you book, unless you are the illustrator yourself.

Maybe I will look into that this summer. Gotta find some great mind occupying things to do besides clean the closets! DD is going to S. America again, which puts me on edge, so I need to keep my mind occupied.

Thanks for the thought and the info everyone!

14. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Apr 22, 2011

Many years ago, I wrote a Kindergarten 'text' book for Scott, Foresman. It was exciting, hard work and a lot of fun and I did make some money. I thought about writing a children's book or two, since I have said a million times-"I could write better than that!", but if you have not actually sat down and tried, it is not as easy as it seems. Maybe when I retire????

15. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Apr 22, 2011

What helps me also, in any of my writing, is the Writers Digest forums. After you register (it's free), you can put your writing on the specific board to be critiqued by the other members. Here is the link: http://forum.writersdigest.com/category-view.asp

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 22, 2011

Chissteeena, on that site, is there something to prevent others from stealing/copying others' work?

17. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Apr 22, 2011

Ms.I, that I am not sure of. I don't think they've had any problems with people stealing/copying others' work. From what I've gathered, those who post their work for others to read, just want input on how to make it better. Those who read the work also post theirs. I think most of the people on there are published writers, some who are very close to being published and then those still in the beginning stages… I don't think they'd want their work stolen or copied.

Plus, and I looked it up on the U.S. Copyright Office website, just to be sure:

When is my work protected?

Your work is under copyright protection the moment it is created and fixed in a tangible form that it is perceptible either directly or with the aid of a machine or device.

Do I have to register with your office to be protected?

No. In general, registration is voluntary. Copyright exists from the moment the work is created. You will have to register, however, if you wish to bring a lawsuit for infringement of a U.S. work.

18. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Apr 24, 2011

Earlier in the year, I got an email from someone in my area looking for children's books written by students and adults. I usually do a children's story writing unit and so I chose the best ones and sent them in. Alas, several were chosen for publication. A very cool experience for the students, considering (as shown on this thread) some adults still have that on their wish list of things to accomplish. The books will not be for sale, but given to local children to promote literacy. However, 2000 copies or so if each book will be published with an isbn number and everything, so they will still be able to call themselves published children's authors!

19. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 24, 2011

How wonderful for your students, CanadianTeacher!

20. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Apr 25, 2011

That is so cool! Your students must be so proud.

21. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Apr 25, 2011

Yes,they are pretty excited. Also, this is a pretty low class, so it's nice for them to feel like they can do something worth noticing.

22. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 25, 2011

Chrissteeena, thanks for posting about copyrighting.

Cool, CanadianTeacher! I'd personally want to mk a little dough though, but that's fabulous for the kids! ;)