Has anyone pre-ordered the new Kindle?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pisces_Fish, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 7, 2013

I just sold my older Kindle (3 years old) the other day. I was planning to use those funds on a new Paperwhite but when I went to buy it, they were gone :( Turns out they're rolling out a new one that will start shipping 9/30. I haven't ordered mine yet...not sure what I'm waiting on, I know I want one! Has anyone pre-ordered it yet? I'll be getting the Paperwhite wifi version, the cheaper one with ads. My old Kindle was the ad-supported one and I didn't find the ads too intrusive at all.

Looking forward to the x-ray feature and Wikipedia integration, which lets you click on a character's name or a particular setting in the book for more information without losing your place in the book. :thumb:

3. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Sep 7, 2013

I LOVE my kindle. I have the basic one right now and it's several years old as well. I should probably order the Paperwhite because I have developed a bad habit of falling asleep with the light on while reading my kindle at bedtime. With the Paperwhite, I could have the light off while I read.

I do have a kindle fire, but I use it more as a tablet than for reading, because it doesn't have nearly the battery life of my regular kindle.

4. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Sep 7, 2013

I love my kindle. I have the paperwhite from last year (I didn't realize the new one was announced). I like mine and haven't had problems with it, so I won't upgrade. But I love my kindle so much that I would buy another one immediately if something happened to mine!

I never minded the ads, but I actually did pay to remove the ads on my paperwhite. I have an amazon case that turns it on automatically and without the ads it goes directly to your book. With the ads you have to swipe to turn the paperwhite on. It's not a big deal, but I like the convenience of going directly to the book. I think it cost me $15 to remove the ads.

5. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 8, 2013

I'm glad you mentioned that, I might need to consider that minor annoyance. I was also planning to protect my investment with an Amazon case. Those aren't cheap! But I think they're pretty essential so I can travel with my Kindle. Which color did you choose?

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 8, 2013

No. But since the tablet I got over the summer includes a Kindle, I'm planning to give my mom my old one.

It as a gazillion books already on it, so almost 85-year-old mom won't have to learn how to download books. And anytime I get the chance, I can go to amazon and download anything I think she'll like.

With winter coming, mom will have an endless supply of reading material on hand without having to brave the elements to pick up a book.

7. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Sep 8, 2013

I have the hot pink. I love it! They're definitely expensive, but they feel more protective than any other cases I've seen. I've dropped my kindle in the amazon case several times and it's always fine.

8. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Sep 8, 2013

And just in case you didn't know-you can order the kindle with the ads and then easily remove the ads right from your kindle if you decide you don't like them. It just charges your amazon account $15, similar to when you buy a book.