Has anyone passed the ec-4 test this month?

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by Tee-Jay, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Tee-Jay

Tee-Jay New Member

Aug 15, 2007

Is a 64/100 a passing score?

3. sckenny

sckenny Rookie

Aug 15, 2007

Im still awaiting my results don't get them back until the 24th...I'm so worried about finding a job that late though...u have a job yet? Think its to late to get a job...im in texas..in the spring/humble area...what area you in?

4. Tee-Jay

Tee-Jay New Member

Aug 15, 2007

I don't think it's too late to get a job. Look at private schools. They don't pay as much but its good experience and less stress. ( No taks testing) I have a job at a private school.

5. Tee-Jay

Tee-Jay New Member

Aug 16, 2007

I passed! I hope you do too. God Bless.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 16, 2007

Congratulations, Tee-Jay!

7. sckenny

sckenny Rookie

Aug 17, 2007

Congrats Tee Jay

8. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Aug 18, 2007

Congrats!:party:

9. sckenny

sckenny Rookie

Aug 27, 2007

Well just an update on my new test scores....I did not pass the EC-4 content...I got a 235 out of 240...I have no idea what I am doing wrong...I can take the practice test and score a excellent grade on them...? Computer retake will be Sep. 10, 2007..at least I will get the results back within the same week...still worried yet again about to late to get a job by then...WHAT AM I DOING WRONG..THIS WILL BE MY 3RD TEST..EACH TIME I GET CLOSE BUT NOT CLOSE ENOUGH..235, 238...PLEASE HELP ME

10. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Aug 28, 2007

I'm sorry that you didn't pass! :sorry:

Are there any reviews that you can take before September 10th? I know that some people coming from Universities have study groups and reviews. They usually have to take a practice test and pass before they will allow them to take the real thing. My local universities had review sessions that I didn't know about (they were open to the public) and then there was a professional company that had one (the day after I was taking the exam) That was going to be my strategy, if I didn't pass the first time.

Take care,

Sheri

11. sckenny

sckenny Rookie

Aug 28, 2007

Anyone ever went through a texes review session...they have one offered every saturday before the the ec-4 content exams are given through region 4 located off of tidwell..$105 a review session, supposed to be the only thing needed to study or pass the exam...wonder how it is...any clues?

12. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Aug 28, 2007

You are so close to passing! If it were me, I would sign up! It may give you the confidence that you need. Which section is giving you the trouble? I can't remember from before and I've only had about 6 hours sleep between the past few nights, so I'm too lazy to look.

Take care,

Sheri

13. sckenny

sckenny Rookie

Aug 29, 2007

WELL there are 7 sections that are giving me trouble compentency: 11, 13, 16, 21, 23, 25, 27....I did however sign up for the texes exam review for september 8 so hopefully it will help me out....i wonder what it is all all about....i can't waiy i am so read to teach and broke...lol

Shaneria

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 29, 2007

Pick a couple of those and tell me what they are, please, sckenny (or if you like you can list the lot).

15. sckenny

sckenny Rookie

Aug 29, 2007

You know...now that I look at the compentencies...its almost embrassing because I know the concept that they are asking...its basic...just the way the questions are put together I guess...

Competency 11: Assessment of Developing Literacy ....classroom testing

Competency 23: Earth and Space Science:
    I can remember that there is a question similar to what or how does pollen affect flowers"

The other ones I think I just need to really review them...they just seem so basic now that I look at them...

I can not wait to go to this texes review..any idea about how they are...it was $105 hopefully its worth it...

Im excited this time....i have a good feeling...i want this and I'm going to get it! lol

Shaneria...thanks for the help

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 29, 2007

If a question about flowers is under earth and space science, that would be pretty weird.

A good comprehensive kids' encyclopedia, especially one with Web links, might be an excellent choice for you for review. The DK Online Encyclopedia is a fine choice for overall subject review; there's also a DK Online Science Encyclopedia, which focuses in on (duh!) the sciences. "DK" stands for Dorling Kindersley, which also publishes the first-rate Eyewitness series. Usborne and Kingfisher are just as good. If you're near a big bookstore, go visit the kids' section - look under Reference and also under Science (or History, if that's an issue for you) - and see what looks engaging. With luck, you'll come up with something that will be a resource in your future classroom.

Do you get really nervous when you take a test?

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 29, 2007

If a question about flowers is under earth and space science, that would be pretty weird.

A good comprehensive kids' encyclopedia, especially one with Web links, might be an excellent choice for you for review. The DK Online Encyclopedia is a fine choice for overall subject review; there's also a DK Online Science Encyclopedia, which focuses in on (duh!) the sciences. "DK" stands for Dorling Kindersley, which also publishes the first-rate Eyewitness series. Usborne and Kingfisher are just as good. If you're near a big bookstore, go visit the kids' section - look under Reference and also under Science (or History, if that's an issue for you) - and see what looks engaging. With luck, you'll come up with something that will be a resource in your future classroom.

Do you get really nervous when you take a test?

18. yamaha_flutist

yamaha_flutist Rookie

Sep 16, 2007

don't worry

[F][F][F]Hi there,

Don't worry! You know John F. Kennedy Jr. failed the bar exam twice before he finally passed!

I just took the EC-4 this morning. I don't know if I passed yet, but my raw score is 81/100. I feel I did pretty well. I am in an alternative teaching program. Since my bachelor's degree is in Music, I knew I needed serious help to pass this test (especially since I took the Music TExES last week and failed it believe it or not). I picked up this very comprehensive study guide called "The Best Test Preparation for the TExES 101 Gen. EC-4." It is sold at Barnes & Noble and probably most other major book stores. I don't enjoy reading these types of books, but this one is pretty interesting and contains so much information in a very concise format. I read the entire book (about 200 pages) in about 2 days. I'm sure that, had I not read the book, I surely would have done much worse on the exam.

I browsed through 5 or 6 of the TExES EC-4 preparation books at Barnes & Noble. Some of them are more comprehensive than the book I chose, like the Cliffs Test Prep which is over 400 pages. I'd suggest to go to skim through the different ones and find one that is right for you.

Just remember to stay positive and know that you WILL pass the test in time!
    [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

19. sckenny

sckenny Rookie

Sep 16, 2007

You passed the exam! Congrats...most people pass the exam with 70% or better but you got 81 so I am positive that you passed the exam...I will be retaking mine in October. Until then I am working as a sub. at a private k-12 school in my area and hoping for employment with a school district in decemeber. But you surely passed..

20. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Sep 16, 2007

You passed! Congrats!!!!:party:

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 16, 2007

Congratulations, yamaha_flutist!

The advice to browse the offerings in prep materials before buying is spot on: for every test prep package worth buying there will be positive reviews from those for whom it was the right choice and negative reviews from those for whom some other approach might have worked better.

22. lc4

lc4 New Member

Sep 16, 2007

I just took my EC-4 Generalist and only got 66/100. I think I failed. Can anyone pass with that score?

23. nayelismom

nayelismom Rookie

Sep 19, 2007

sckenny

I don't know if my response will help you but one thing you can do is focus carefully on the questions. There were a few questions that when I re-read the question and really thought about it. I found a better answer. Also focus very carefully on each of the answers. Some answers could be misconstrued if you read it very quickly and one or two words can really change the meaning.

I used a book called "The Ultimate Guide to the EC-4 Generalist". Google it It's cheap and it was excellent! I highly recommend. Hope this helps!

24. sckenny

sckenny Rookie

Sep 19, 2007

Nayelismom thanks for the advice!

25. nayelismom

nayelismom Rookie

Sep 19, 2007

Not a prob. The other good thing about the book is it gives GREAT examples that can be applied into the classroom.

26. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 19, 2007

Interesting... Can someone remind me, please, just what it is that EC-4 Generalist is supposed to be for?

27. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Sep 19, 2007

It's the exam to teach early childhood through 4th grade in Texas. :)

28. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 19, 2007

So it's NCLB subject-area compliance for pre-K through fourth grade?

(I have an agenda: wondering whether the book nayelismom mentions might be useful elsewhere, and how far I should go out of my way to find out.)

29. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Sep 19, 2007

Yes. It's the content exam that determines whether or not you are considered HQ under NCLB for those grade levels.

I used the book for Texas, but I haven't taken other states' content exams. (It's also nicknamed the "yellow book") You may want to start a thread asking for advice from people who have taken exams here as well as other states. I know it seems like everyone that I run into "just moved to Texas." And I know several teachers who were certified in other states and had to take the Texas exams. But, if they were certified, they may not have even studied. Who knows? I know one teacher that didn't and passed easily and another person who was certified in Oklahoma and said that our exams were much easier. (Maybe because she had already went through the test process and wasn't nervous, etc.)

Take care.:)

30. TeachersRock

TeachersRock Rookie

Dec 8, 2007

What was your score I too got 64 out of 100 on the EC-4 content test.

31. sckenny

sckenny Rookie

Dec 9, 2007

It really is so hard to know if you passed or not because of the weight of the questions. Just because one person may get 67 out of the 100 they still may pass or another person may get the same score and fail. But I recently took the exam over and got 65 out of the 100 correct and got a passing score of 243. Usually it is said that a passing score is 70 or higher but look what I passed with...so you never know.

Good luck...and have faith!