Has anyone on here gotten a ticket for talking on their cellphone? Did your insurance

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Peachyness, May 24, 2010.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 24, 2010

So, last summer, I got a call from an old friend while I was out shopping. I got into my car and was driving out of the parking lot, getting ready to hang up the phone. Yes, stupid me, I should have sat in the car and then gotten off. So, rightly so, an officer saw me and gave me a ticket. I deserved it.

Now, I am wondering, should this cause my insurance to go up? I am asking because I received my insurance plan for next year and it was $140 more than last year. Every year it went down about $40. So, it was a shock to see that not only did it not go down, it shot up $140. I wouldn't think that one ticket would do that. I got a speeding ticket when I was 18 and that didn't make my insurance go up. So, I am confused. I have AAA.

I will go by AAA today and talk to them, I just wanted to see what your experience has been.

3. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 24, 2010

What can and can't cause your rates to go up varies by state, so your best bet is probably to ask your insurance company directly.

Here you wouldn't even get a ticket to talk on the phone in the car anyway.

4. bros

bros Phenom

May 24, 2010

My mom works for the town court.

Cell Phone = a traffic ticket. Therefore, insurance will go up.

You might want to call the insurance and tell them.

It shouldn't go up THAT much, since there tend to be no points attached to a cell phone ticket.

Could you perhaps take a defensive driving course to balance out the increased cost from the ticket?

5. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2010

Some insurance companies raise their rates regardless and you have to switch to get better rates. A few years back we switched to Allstate because they were the cheapest and they raised them so much (even with tickets or claims) we found a insurance co that would shop around for us. We ended up with Traveler's Insurance and are now paying about 1/2 of what we were paying before. :eek: My brother is in the insurance industry and he says that companies will lower their rates to draw people in and then raise them a few years later so you have to switch every so often.

Soooo.... it could have been the ticket, but it may just be regular rate raising. It might be worth shopping around for another quote.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 24, 2010

It hasn't happened to me & it never will. I put my cell on the speaker or put on my Bluetooth when I talk in the car. However, I must say that I'm a little surprised by how many people I still see driving & holding that cell to their ear. I guess they figure when they see a cop around, they'll put it down quick.

I agree.

7. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

May 24, 2010

I have heard that even if your phone is on speaker, if you are holding it, you can still get a ticket...

8. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

May 24, 2010

I use Jupiter Jack and a holder (windshield suction cup type) that lines up with the post so it is not blocking my view but close to my head.
    I use the GPS on my phone while driving (since I am visiting in Florida I have used it a lot) when I have to answer and talk longer a minute I pull over

My question is how many points did you get on the ticket?

9. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

May 24, 2010

Were you paying your insurance when you were 18, Peachyness? I only ask because I can almost guarantee the speeding ticket did make your insurance go up - and probably by a lot more than $140/year. Teen drivers are in the highest premium bracket to begin with (although females get slightly lower rates than teen males). Also, the car you drive can make your insurance higher. Driving a sports car instead of sedan will raise your premiums.

The speeding ticket was probably worth at least 2 points on your license and possibly more, depending on how fast you were going compared to the speed limit. Even if you take a defensive driving course to get points off your license, your insurance premiums usually stay at the higher rate for 3 years (My father was an insurance agent and I got a loooooong lecture on just what would happen if I ever got a ticket).

As for the cell phone, bros is correct - it is a traffic ticket, so your premium is going to go up. Even if the court or state doesn't put points on your license, the insurance company will often add points against your policy, causing your premium to go up the same as if you did get 1 point on your license.

The best approach would be to contact your insurance agent, ask them to explain exactly how the increase was calculated and see if there are any steps you can take to reduce the premium.

Be prepared to do all the legwork yourself. I once discovered my insurance company (Nationwide) had been charging me for a ticket I never received for more than three years. I had to do a LOT of documentation, but ended up getting credit for the extra premium I had been paying for those 3 years.

10. bros

bros Phenom

May 25, 2010

Also, you are lucky the cell phone ticket was only $140.

In my town, it's $210 and a mandatory court appearance if coupled with any other ticket (Such as driving without a seatbelt)

Whenever a person annoys a cop, they give them tickets for everything.

My mom got an unusual ticket in today.

Did you know that having ANYTHING on your rear view mirror is illegal (At least in New Jersey)?

It counts as obstructing your vision.

11. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

May 25, 2010

It's not illegal here to talk on your cell phone and drive. In July a new law will be enforced though...no texting and driving...and no teems can talk and drive.

12. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

May 25, 2010

I didn't know it was illegal in NC to talk on the phone, I thought it was only illegal to text!!

13. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

May 25, 2010

$180 here in California. My husband was absolutely shocked. He knew it was a violation to talk on the cellphone, but was under the impression the ticket was inexpensive and didn't effect insurance.

So, now he uses a hands free device.

14. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 25, 2010

The ticket wasn't $140. I barely paid $70.

My insurance went DOWN over the years since I was 18, even with the speeding ticket (I went to that drivers school and everything).

I guess my dear sweet hubby also got a ticket, so the increase was because of him, actually.

15. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

May 25, 2010

In CA you can't go to Traffic School for a cell phone ticket so it will affect your insurance rates.

Also, bros, it's illegal in CA to have anything hanging from your mirror also, but that's more of the type of ticket a cop will give if they are already giving you a ticket for something else, OR if they are just in a ticket giving mood.

16. bros

bros Phenom

May 25, 2010

Yeah.

Cops give that ticket out only when they are annoyed or you annoy them.

For example, a person who lives on my street got pulled over. He annoyed a cop by speeding.

He got charged with impersonation of a police vehicle (By having the flashing lights that a cop might keep in their car on his dashboard and turning them on at random so he could go through lights), speeding, obstructing view, and a couple other charges.

17. MissSkippyjonJones

May 25, 2010

Not to hijack this post, but that person who lives on your street should have gotten in trouble for that no matter if they annoyed the cop or not. :2cents:

18. bros

bros Phenom

May 25, 2010

Oh yeah, but he got to get extra tickets. Another one he got was for having the thing around his license plate (That says like the dealer he got the car at). Those obscure the license plate.

The cop even wrote on the ticket "CALL ME WITH TIMES FOR ALL COURT APPEARANCES. HAVE TO ATTEND"

19. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 25, 2010

Yup, no air freshners or college tassles!!! My aunt got a ticket for an airfreshner over 10 years ago and it was $80 back then! I remember her making a big deal about it.

You are also not supposed to put your GPS on the windshield bc they can give you a ticket for obstruction of view for that as well.

As for the cell phone law....its redundent because there is already a law that says you must drive with both hands on the wheel at all times...if you are holding your cell phone then both hands are not on the wheel....Then they say no texting, well to text you are using a phone which we already decided was illegal....I agree athat you shouldnt use a phone/text while driving but the constant addition of laws is ridiculous!

20. bros

bros Phenom

May 25, 2010

They have to cover all bases, because in the laws, it may state no TALKING on the phones. Not no TEXTING

21. MissSkippyjonJones

May 26, 2010

That's what happend here. They made it illegal to drive while talking on your cell unless it's hands-free. They forgot to mention texting so a few months later they created a new law that makes it illegal to text while driving.