Has anyone NOT claimed a year?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by McKennaL, Mar 26, 2011.

1. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 26, 2011

THIS will be a year I don't claim. (something that I NEVER in my life have EVER done) This school was a WRECK!

*Side note - Might I add here; driving home one of the first days of my work at this school, the standardized scores came out for the year before. It was a BIG news story! So as I am driving, I hear them announce on the radio (MIND YOU, this is in the Chicagoland area - so we are talking HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS of schools) -that OUR school was on a HUGE fail list! REALLY??? DIdn't the woman who hired me say that we excel? - and the faculty that I "would be working with makes [her] cry with happiness to think how LUCKY [she] is to work in this great school"?The annoucer (a MAJOR MAJOR news station) mentioned OUR SCHOOL to show that it's not just INNER CITY schools that are failing and near closing or major disciplinary/funding action due to poor scores, but ones in wonderful areas with WONDERFUL facilities as well. Back at the school, they were trying to kick it under the rug "It's because they have to average in the "special students" as well. Waaaa, it's not US! Seriously... WE excel" No, folks, it's YOU! And I THANK GOD!!!!!! that my special needs children - who DID have WONDERFUL teachers and schools in my home town district - did NOT have to be students HERE! Seriously folks... a madhouse! PERHAPS, if I HADN"T a full brain - and I was only a drone who would "yes sir" "no sir" and be happy to give the child what's on the next page in some CRAPPY, ILL-FITTING curriculum - rather than what they NEED where they ARE at the moment - maybe THEN I woud have fit in here. But heaven HELP the THINKING teacher!**

And though my student is progressing VERY WELL, *I* was treated like CRAP! I could go into it and into it...but safe to say every teacher who KNOWS my story says that they NEVER heard of anyone treated as POORLY as I have been.

I could never claim this year...ever! I will have to say it was a lost year of subbing.

I have become VERY discouraged. THough i KNOW i am an excellent teacher (how do you help your one on one progress to being one of the top scorers in a whole grade of special ed kids? Cheating? yeah, i have been accused of that - unbelievable. They have had my student retake tests lately because they don't BELIEVE she could do that well...and she STILL blows them out of the water. *She looks at me in front of them and says, "Didn't I do well the first time?"* She uses the vocabulary from a text that is WAY above her (she is mainstreamed into this class- and dealing with things that are at the GRADE level-not HER level. So it's TOUGH to bring her-not ONLY to a level of understanding, but to a level of REALLY working well with content that she probably shouldn't be given at this stage)- why? Because we LEARN the vocabulary - definitions, examples, synonyms, visualizations, etc., and then we USE it in the context of discusses about the book AND in normal conversation "hey, that was a magnificent shot you took in badmitton today. A star athelete couldn't get a whole in one into the dividing curtains like that even if they planned it. MAGNIFICENT!".. So how DARE she answer a question CORRECTLY!! WITH the proper vocabulary!!! "no one ELSE in the room did that (who work with your supervisor)... WHY HER???" Ummm, because she is with an aide who is an excellent teacher. - I feel like I should throw in a Charlie Sheen reference, "Duh, winning!" :rolleyes: ) - though i KNOW i am an excellent teacher, there is not one thing here I can claim. I was given an evaluation that...I don't even RECOGNIZE this person - it certainly was NOT the teacher who brought about THESE jumps in standardized grades and such. My highest score on the evaluation? The ONLY shining light? Get this... attendance. That I was warm and breathing. UNBELIEVABLE!!

It's so bad that ...now I am thinking of quitting right after spring break and just going out to sub. What harm will it do? EVERYONE that i know (teachers and confidants) are saying - "go. there is NOTHING for you for the rest of the year here- but aggravation and disrespect for all that you do.

But... asking... has anyone had a year that they don't "honestly" claim?

Proud of my work and my student! DARN DARN proud!! But with NOTHING to show for it. So with THAT - VERY disappointed. :(

*A last side note... I am the second aide in two years working with THIS child (an assignment that even those in the SCHOOL all say, "BLESS you for doing that- you must be a saint. *I* could NOT handle it!") who has been fired and told that the problem was HER! and HER inability to cooperate. I don't know of that last teacher - but i will say... THIS teacher was the best thing that THIS student had going for her (that INCLUDES the school AND the parents who would rather do her homework FOR her and ignore that this girl may at best *on the path that THEY have her going* be a bagger for the rest of her life- rather than DO SOMETHING to REALLY help her!) 2 for 2. Makes you question, huh?*

3. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Mar 26, 2011

What does that mean? "Not Claim a year?"

I've never hear that term and am curious.

4. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Mar 26, 2011

I am sorry you have had such a major disappointment. I think she means that that she is not claiming this year because it was and is a disaster...kinda like...it's a throw away. She needs a do over. I do know someone that has walked in your shoes and he is still trying to get over a similar situation. He was the teacher of 5 special needs students and was non renewed last year. I had a fast change in my admin 1 month ago and am experiencing (along with the staff) shock. Good luck.

5. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Mar 26, 2011

McKenna whatever you decide you know that we will be here for you.

6. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Mar 26, 2011

You mean on your resume? How would you explain that lapse in time?

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 27, 2011

Don't quit before the end of the year. This little girl will be devastated.

8. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Mar 27, 2011

I agree with Alice. This little girl will be devastated. I am hanging on by a thread myself and wanting to quit. Because of some teachers bullying students in my school (which I was unaware of) my admin was pulled last month and its been so bad that teachers like myself that were due for tenure have been placed on provisional for next year too.( I guess they are cleaning a house I did not know was dirty, so until you are proven innocent you are guilty) I am being treated like you are and want to walk.....but like you ,we know in our hearts we have to stay for the kids. Good luck sweetie...hugs and all.