Has anyone looped with a class?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by LMichele, Feb 1, 2014.

1. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Feb 1, 2014

I just found out that I'm picking up another teacher's class halfway into the loop, so I'll have 3rd grade starting in September. After that I will be doing a 2nd/3rd grade loop.

I'm at a loss of how to start planning and feeling very overwhelmed. I want to start planning 2nd as I plan 3rd so I will have an idea in my head of where I'm going in 3rd grade & how I'm getting there in 2nd.

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 1, 2014

I'm confused. You want to start planning now for next Sept.?

4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 1, 2014

So if I understand, there's a teacher that does a 2/3 loop. That teacher has a second grade class now, those children will be 3rd graders next year, and you'll have them. After that, those children will move to 4th grade, you'll get a group of second graders, and you'll then have them for two years. Is that right?

My advice to you for next year would be to worry about third grade. Don't try to plan the second grade year, too. Worry about that when you get there. Sit down with the 2/3 teacher who is moving on and see what resources and advice you can get from that person. One thing you'll discover in your second year is that children grow (in every imaginable way) immensely from the beginning of 2nd to the end of 3rd. Even going from end of year 3rd to beginning of year 3rd is always tough for me. I'm sure every classroom teacher says this about every grade level, but third graders grow and mature SO much in just a few months.

5. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Feb 1, 2014

I love looping! I've done it twice, and the second year with the group is always the best. You know exactly where they are, and they know exactly what to expect. You develop awesome relationships with the parents as well.

6. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Feb 2, 2014

I once did a 1st-2nd loop and it was the best year (the 2nd year) that I ever had.:) You know the kids - what they've had and what they need- and you hit the ground running on that first day in September.

7. teach1abc

teach1abc Rookie

Feb 8, 2014

I looped with 2 classes from first to second. I really liked it! The second year, you are off and running with the curruculum so much faster because you know the kids and basically where they are academically. I would do some general planning for next year but don't worry about the year after. Curriculum and ways of teaching things are always changing, so I would wait to plan for second grade.

8. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Feb 8, 2014

I hope to loop next year and I cannot wait! I am really enjoying my class this year but will wait to see how next year pans out before I start planning.

9. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Feb 8, 2014

I LOVED looping!!!!! I only did it once, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat! :thumb: There are so many benefits for the students and the teachers.

10. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Feb 8, 2014

Well I'm a first year teacher so no. I don't think I'd want to loop with my current class. For one thing, 5th grade seems intimidating to me. For another thing, while I love my kids, they can be quite annoying at times lol