Has Anyone Here Used PODS for a Move?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by RainStorm, Mar 13, 2010.

1. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Mar 13, 2010

I'm just wondering if you had a good experience. I only need to move 250 miles, but loading a rental truck in one day and then getting someone to drive it (my 76 year old father says he can do it -- but I don't want him too!) is just a bit beyond what I can managed. The big moving companies don't seem to be interested in a "small fry" like me (1 bedroom, moving less than 300 miles.) PODS seems like a good answer, but I'm just curious. If anyone has experience with them, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks in advance.

3. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Mar 13, 2010

My parents used them when they moved last summer, and they were very satisfied. It was nice that they could pack things up and clear out rooms as they went. They didn't move very far, either.

4. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Mar 13, 2010

Have you priced them out? I thought they were RIDICULOUSLY expensive when I was thinking about using them.

5. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Mar 13, 2010

I used ABF u-pack moving, it was less than PODS- we moved from CA to GA.

6. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Mar 13, 2010

We used PODS and they were fantastic. We sold our house and had to move out in less than a week. They had the 1st POD at out house the afternoon that I called them and were able to get it to the new house. The people were still moving out of our new house so we could not unpack it but were able to put in on the property. We had to get a 2nd POD and they charged us very little for it. We had 3 kids my hubby and myself and enough furniture to fill a 1600 sq ft house and it took almost 2 PODS. We were able to load and unload at our convenience which made it so much better than a U-Haul.

7. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Mar 13, 2010

I talked with AFB, but they said my move wasn't far enough, and suggested PODS.

8. janlee

janlee Devotee

Mar 14, 2010

If you are moving into a condo or apartment complex be sure to see if there are any restrictions about placing pods on the property and the length of time they can be left. My friend moved to an apartment and could only leave the pod for 24 hours and it had to be placed in her assigned parking space.

9. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Mar 14, 2010

Thanks for the heads up. I live in a house, but our area has a 15 day restriction for PODS and I have to get a delivery permit first.

10. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Mar 14, 2010

In previous years when my husband went to Iraq, he used PODS just for storage. He was pleased but I don't know how they are with moving.