Has anyone heard of "Your Baby Can Read"?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by minnie, May 3, 2009.

1. minnie

minnie Habitué

May 3, 2009

I have seen this infomercial on TV a couple of times and I am flabbergasted! There are two year old babies who are reading books with this program! Has anyone heard of this?

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 3, 2009

I saw it on TV too. I wonder if it really works!

4. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

May 3, 2009

I've seen it on television as well. My first thought was, "Well, that's certainly developmentally inappropriate!"

My guess is that it's more for the parents than the child. I'd be interested to see a longitudinal study of the children people have used it with and see what they're like when they're 5 or even 8, or 10 years old.

5. minnie

minnie Habitué

May 3, 2009

Yeah, it was on TV just a little bit ago and there was a two year old little boy reading about isosceles triangles and trapezoids! :eek: His parents were just beaming. But does he even know what he is reading? I don't think so. Then there was a little girl about the sam age reading Charlotte's Web!

I almost want to buy it and see what the catch is!

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 3, 2009

There are some kids who do read and comprehend at that age, and some I know of even did it pretty much on their own, but that doesn't constitute an excuse to expect that every kid should.

7. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

May 3, 2009

I have Vol.1 and 2 on VHS. They've been out a while now. They are ok. I think you would have to show it CONSTANTLY for it to do any good. Emily never would stay with it when she was smaller. She won't stay with it now at age 3. I thought it was a good idea when I bought them. I got them for my preschool Spe. Ed. class originally.

8. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 3, 2009

Wow, no kidding.

The thing is, most children who enter school higher, "level out" with their classmates by 3rd or 4th grade. Why rush things so much? I don't think children who can read at age 3 are really at a higher advantage than other children.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 3, 2009

Depends on the kid, DrivingPigeon, though in the case of kids who get pushed to be earlier readers, I think you're more often right than not.

10. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

May 3, 2009

I don't see the point, really.

And, yeah, developmentally inappropriate for sure.

My 3-year-old has some reading skills, and I've mentioned it here before, but I don't mention it to friends IRL.

11. Lotte

Lotte Companion

May 3, 2009

There are tons of videos on youtube showing the "Your baby can read" progress in children. And also about kindergartens in Australia where some have started using it and the kids learn to read fluently while still in kindergarten.
    I think it seems fascinating, but even the founder says to not show the child any videos or flashcards if they're not into it.

I have made some flashcards for my youngest son, age 4 months now. I just show him the pictures and how it's written, and he likes to study the pictures, especially the ones of our family members.

I just talk about the picture (mention what it is called several times) and then do the same with the backside where I have only the words written out in lowercase letters. If it's a body part, I show him the real thing too. I have used various fonts, like I saw in the program to help recognise and differentiate the words. I show him the cards -about 10 at a time - about 5-6 times a week.

I don't expect him to be a good reader by doing that, you would probably have to do it much more often -and have them watch the videos too, but I hope to stimulate his words and language. And if he's not into it then we'll do something else ;)
    And why not? I know that, I at least, am really good at reading books, pointing to pictures of things, but never think about pointing to the words and letters. Maybe he'll be able to recognise words better when he gets older? Time will show.

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 3, 2009

I knew of a couple who did Glenn Doman's early version of this, some decades ago, with all three kids - at various points, everything in the kids' rooms was labeled and the labels got read and discussed regularly. The parents, by the way, are multiply degreed and extremely intelligent, though whether either has ever had much to do with child psychology is not clear. The eldest learned to read quite young; I don't remember whether she went to college early, but she's gone to top-notch undergrad and grad schools and has had her PhD for some years. Her younger siblings, if memory serves, did not read as early; neither is en route to advanced degrees at the moment, though either is plenty bright, but it doesn't seem to be how they're bent. The point is that individual wiring plays a huge role here.

A toddler who just plain latches onto written language - and they do exist - shouldn't be prevented. A toddler who just isn't that into it yet - and there are lots more of them - shouldn't be forced.

13. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 3, 2009

Great discussion. I am a PK teacher, and find this baby can read not developmentally appropriate. Lotte, what you are doing is early brain development. Giving babies opportunities to look at visuals increases the synapses. This provides the opportunity to develop more intelligence. You don't have to use words, but any sharp contrast of colors will do the job.

My grandson was provided with lots of visual stimulation as a baby, and was studing books at one year. I don't know if he was reading, but he is 9 and can read anything.

14. Lotte

Lotte Companion

May 4, 2009

Ok. Thanks ;) I just took some elements from the program -but doing it all seems a bit much to me. Especially since I would have to translate everything to Norwegian anyway and that's just to big of a job for me.. :whistle:

15. MissR

MissR Comrade

May 5, 2009

Also, I don't think this program has any phonics...so if someone used only this program, I would be concerned about the child's ability to figure out an unknown word, which is a very important skill that translates to other parts of life I think.

16. becky

becky Enthusiast

May 5, 2009

When Jeannie was a baby, I got two books- Teach Your Baby Reading and Teach Your Baby Math.

With the reading book, you were to make up sets of cards with, I believe, at least 100 cards per set. At diaper changes, and frequently beyond that, you were to show your baby so many cards each day for so long.

I didn't do that, but I tried showing her alphabet cards frequently, to see if she'd recognize the letters if I asked her. Lol- honestly, I don't remember if she did or not. She reads like a champ, though. Probably NOT due to my dinky alphabet cards!

17. becky

becky Enthusiast

May 5, 2009

At first, I taught Jeannie to read with Hooked on Phonics. There's no real phonics in that, either, so you are absolutely right.

18. MissR

MissR Comrade

May 5, 2009

There's no phonics in Hooked on Phonics? Really? ha! What is it then?

19. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

May 5, 2009

I have seen this commercial!!! It's CRAZY!!

Every part of my early childhood background screams that this is incredibly inappropriate! Kids need to be kids...there is a time and place for these little guys learn to read!

I believe strongly in getting kids into preschool and working at home at an early age...but reading at the age of 2 is a little overboard!