Has anyone had to call in sick?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by rlbbas123, May 1, 2007.

1. rlbbas123

rlbbas123 Rookie

May 1, 2007

What do you do when your child is sick and you have already said you would come sub? Yesterday afternoon, the school secretary called and asked me to sub today. I didn't have any other obligations, so I said, yes. Then last night my daughter got up around 10:00 and said she didn't feel good. She is also has diabetes. After I checked her blood sugar which was fine, (she had a bed time snack), I told her to come lay down with me and within 5 minutes, she said I don't feel good, then started throwing up everywhere. Her Blood sugar started dropping, and she just could not keep anything down. I ended up on the phone with her doctor until midnight. Finally, her blood sugar stablized, and was able to keep some bread and dry cereal down. So we go onto bed. I get up this morning to get ready for work, and she is up sick again.
    I didn't know who to call(school) because it was 6:30 and I have never been given a contact number for cases like this. Finally, around 7:00 I get in touch with the principle. I really felt awful for cancelling like this, but I really didn't have another choice. My husband is active duty military, and he has to go to work, and my family is 2 hours away. (I can't leave my daughter with anyone due to her diabetes). Anyway, does schools administrators frown upon things like this.
    Anything thoughts?
    Thanks,
    rlbbas

3. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

May 1, 2007

I have called out when I was a day-to-day sub. (Once I did so one day at a time when I had the flu. "I'll be better tomorrow" "No, maybe one more day off..." This lasted a week!) I've also been called in when another sub canceled. From what I've seen, everyone is fine with whatever happens. As long as you're clear you didn't call off to go to the beach, every admin and assissant I've worked with has been very professional and understanding.

4. rlbbas123

rlbbas123 Rookie

May 1, 2007

Ms. Goatess,
    Thanks for your reponse, did your district or subfinder give you a contact number? I just hated not knowing who to call. This is the first time this has happened and I hate being so unprepared for emergancy situations.
    thanks,
    rlbbas

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 1, 2007

Ribbas,
    You should have a contact number...I would ask for one. I always had a number, for the just in case. I know our sub caller said to call as late as 10 or 10:30 pm and as early as I think 5 or 5:30 am. She also asked that you called her by 6 or 6:30am to get a sub for the day.
    I wouldn't think it was a big deal, maybe you helped the district to make sure you had a contact number in the future!!! I wouldn't really worry about it too much.
    As a sub I did call in a couple of times when I got sick!!! Like Goatess I was called for other subs whose own kids were sick..not a big deal!!!

HOPE SHE IS FEELING BETTER!!!

6. jd123

jd123 Cohort

May 2, 2007

I had an afternoon (1/2 day) job that I was set to go to. About an hour before I had to be there, my daughter's school called to tell me that her eye was very red, and I needed to take her home in case it was pink eye. I felt bad calling the sub coordinator, but what else could I do?