Has anyone had luck getting a job from sending out portfolios?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by shurweee, Apr 3, 2010.

1. shurweee

shurweee Rookie

Apr 3, 2010

The plan right now is to send out a portfolio with my resume, letter of intent, HQ scores, ACP admission letter, and a powerpoint with pictures of teaching experiences to schools that haven't explicitly posted jobs online.

Has anyone had luck getting a job that wasn't officially listed anywhere? Am I missing anything from my portfolio that is absolutely vital?

Thanks!!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 3, 2010

YES!!

I returned to work in 2005 after 5 years as a SAHM. I wasn't sure that my current school would find me a slot (I had quit in 2000, and fortunately they found me a spot :) . ) But, not being sure, I sent a cover letter and resume to several schools that had no openings listed.

I got 2 job offers before I contacted my current school. (They hired me on the spot, then later told me what I would be teaching.) I had to turn down one or 2 more interviews.

Cold calling is a great idea!!!

4. CD1980

CD1980 Rookie

Apr 3, 2010

Yes, I've had luck getting interviews with districts that haven't posted openings. If you're going to apply everywhere, though, sending that much stuff could get very expensive. (Is your portfolio digital or print?) Have you thought about putting it online?

5. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Apr 3, 2010

Yes. I also was able to get SPED interviews with districts that hadn't posted openings. Although, I had a portfolio, I never sent it with my required materials packets.

6. shurweee

shurweee Rookie

Apr 3, 2010

Yes, I've thought about making my portfolio digital, but I was afraid that they weren't going to take the time to pop in a CD with a Powerpoint. What did you guys send to the schools?

7. CD1980

CD1980 Rookie

Apr 4, 2010

For districts close to me or schools I really wanted to get in to, I sent my cover letter, resume, references, a few letters of recommendation, and a business-sized card with the address of my on-line portfolio. (For other districts, I left out the letters of rec.) Of course, this was for mass mailings. I tried to fill out an application when I could (you can usually print these), in which case I would also send my credentials (copy of cert., PRAXIS scores, background checks) because applications usually ask for those things.

I had a digital portfolio on CD for years, and you're right, most people don't bother to look at them. This year I switched to an on-line portfolio. (There are places you can set these up for free, though I built mine from scratch and my older brother hosted it for me, which cut down the cost.) I recently landed a job, so now my on-line portfolio doesn't serve much purpose (not that I'm complaining!), but when I interviewed most of the board said they had been to my website, so I guess it did its job!

8. texjess2010

texjess2010 Companion

Apr 4, 2010

Good question -- I was wondering the same. I am putting things together for the large job fair and it is definately getting expensive to have a full, bound, professional portfolio. I just put together a website (I got most of my stuff from www.vistaprint.com - lots of free items!!) that I am putting on my resume/business cards. After allllll of this, I hope someone calls back!

Let us know how this works for you and I'll do the same. Good luck!

9. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Apr 4, 2010

I haven't sent out any portfolios, but I'd like to know about how yours are doing.
    Rebel1

10. shurweee

shurweee Rookie

Apr 4, 2010

Thanks for all your input! I haven't decided between a brochure (some here on atoz suggested it) or a website just yet. I will let you all know how everything goes in the next month as I put it all together!

11. Miss Snix

Miss Snix Companion

Apr 4, 2010

Have seen a few people on here talking about portfolio websites they have made...where/how are you making these?

12. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Apr 5, 2010

Anyone want to share their online portfolios? On here or privately?

I did a brochure which did get me a few interviews last summer....I wound up with a leave replacement.

This year my goal was to add an online portfolio into the picture and write the address of my website on a business card that I could send with my cover letter/ resume/ brochure or add it to my brochure and also add it to my cover letter for the schools that require you to apply electronically...I feel like if all they have to do is click on it, they will!

Anyway my goal was to get it done over Easter break, and as we go back to school tomorrow, its not complete :/

13. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Apr 5, 2010

I'm using weebly.com to do it, its free and really easy to use.

14. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Apr 5, 2010

I've sent out about 30 portfolios and have not had one call yet. Of course, no counties around me are hiring either. :mad:

15. Miss Snix

Miss Snix Companion

Apr 6, 2010

I'd love to see some other (or sample) online portfolios too.

16. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Apr 6, 2010

17. Miss Snix

Miss Snix Companion

Apr 6, 2010

Thanks for sharing :)

18. Mrs Ski

Mrs Ski Companion

Apr 7, 2010

I believe my online portfolio was well worth the time. I believe it landed me my interview and lead to being hired at a first interview. The P and VP said they felt like they knew me, and basically the interview was to make sure I lived up to the expectations.

I am not sure if i can post the link because I am new, and i don't think i can send PMs, but if you would like to see it I can find a way.

19. Mrs Ski

Mrs Ski Companion

Apr 7, 2010

also just to let you know this was required from my school to graduate, so that is why I did it in this manner, my original intention was to create a website, and format it the way I wanted, but I got a job first.