Has anyone had Invisalign?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms.Holyoke, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Feb 25, 2017

I had Invisalign put in yesterday and so far I like it. I need to keep them in for a year, so I will have them in throughout my masters degree where I will be in a classroom full time. You need to take the trays out before eating or drinking anything except water and brush your teeth right after. I know this is hard for a teacher considering that we can't just leave the classroom. Do you think this will be difficult as a teacher? Does anyone have any experiences? Thanks so much.

3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2017

I just got my retainer sets this week! I have had Invisalign braces for over a year, and they've worked nicely. They recommend keeping them in 22 hours a day, but I often cheat and leave them out longer, and it's been fine. It takes a bit of getting used to--they give me a little whistle-y "S"--but you adapt. One hint: check the edges of a new set before you put them in, and if there are rough spots, smooth them with a fine glass nail file. I have a tiny one that works very well. (BTW, I'm in my 60s. They work at any age.)

4. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Feb 25, 2017

Thanks Mrs.K! Was your first week or so tough? I'm still getting used to the feeling in my mouth. I took it to my ortho to smooth it out today since it was hurting my tongue yesterday. Was the constant removal/brushing hard to fit into your lifestyle?

5. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2017

I was good about brushing after lunch at first, keeping a small kit in my desk, but most of the time now I chew sugarless gum and wait until I get home to brush. The biggest problem for me has been forgetting to put them back in and leaving them in my desk drawer overnight! I was pretty miserable the first few days, as I recall; I used brace wax on the first few sets, but eventually didn't need it.

6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Feb 25, 2017

Are they noticeable at all? I had braces as a teen, so I'm just asking out of curiosity.

7. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Feb 26, 2017

They're crystal clear, so they're barely noticeable. Staining can be a problem, but you're using a fresh set every two weeks.

8. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Feb 26, 2017

They are mostly not noticeable unless you are staring at the person's teeth. You also need attachments on your teeth that can be noticeable from a foot or so away.