Has anyone had early job fair success?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by pommom, Feb 22, 2018.

1. pommom

pommom Comrade

Feb 22, 2018

Has anyone been offered a position from a job fair that was held in March or April? Are they most likely just taking applications? They wouldnt offer a position that early because schools still do not know who is staying or leaving yet, right?

3. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Feb 23, 2018

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  4. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Feb 23, 2018

When I was in grad school, I was offered a position at a March job fair. It was a big, growing, suburban district on the East Coast. I made the choice to move to the West Coast and take a job at a small, struggling, poor inner-city school. I sometimes wonder where I would be now if I had taken that first job offer!

Anyways, to answer your question, some districts do already have an idea of who is retiring (or getting pink-slipped), if their population is growing, etc., so it's possible they may be actively hiring in March.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  5. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Feb 23, 2018

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  6. pommom

pommom Comrade

Feb 27, 2018

Thanks for replies. I am going to one this Saturday.
    If I was given an offer anywhere before this school year ends, would the new school still call my current principal? My school admin doesn't know my plans yet, and I would rather them not call.

7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Feb 27, 2018

They’d more than likely call your current supervisor. Most applications in my area require that reference.

8. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Feb 27, 2018

I think it depends on the area. I've never heard of jobs being offered at job fairs in my area. The largest districts are typically just doing "meet and greets" and promoting their district, which is a waste of time for the candidates, IMO. The smaller districts often do interviews, depending on which job fair it is, but those are screening interviews. When they have specific openings at the school, then you get called for a "real" interview at the school.

Last time I was job searching, I went to a job fair at the beginning of April and did screening interviews with 7-8 districts. Every one of them called me for a "real" interview later, so I definitely think the job fair helped. Prior to that, I'd been to a job fair in March that was a complete waste of time as it was "meet and greets" only and districts were just telling people to apply online and giving out information about their district.

In my area, no school will hire you without talking to your current/most recent P first. However, some did ask me in interviews if I was okay with my P being called or if I wanted them to wait until "the final step" and only call if necessary (i.e. they had picked me and just needed the reference to clear). On the other hand, some schools did reference checks prior to even scheduling the interview.

9. pommom

pommom Comrade

Feb 27, 2018

The job fairs where a bunch of districts are there are the meet n greets.
    I am just going to the individual district ones. The one this weekend is a charter school. Hopefully they will be serious about hiring right then and there...

10. kt_bug

kt_bug Rookie

Mar 4, 2018

From everything I've heard, many people in my area walk out of job fairs with offers in March/April. My program hosted a job fair two weeks ago at which they said people would be getting offers (that people last year were being hounded with contracts) and as far as I can tell that didn't happen, except for maybe with the one or two least desirable districts. Everyone I and my classmates spoke to said that they didn't have openings set in stone yet. I think February was a bit too early. But most secondary English people in my program had jobs by April/May last year, so I would say it's definitely happening.

11. pommom

pommom Comrade

Mar 5, 2018

So I went to a job fair over the weekend. I was told to come back that day for an interview. The interview was the best I have ever had. She even said she knows I will be a great asset to the team. She said she doesn't know which and how many positions will be open.

Well, yeah it's early. This is why I hesitate going to too early job fairs.

12. kt_bug

kt_bug Rookie

Mar 5, 2018

Updated answer: A classmate of mine was offered a contract at a job fair on February 21 for the district she is currently student teaching in.