Has anyone had any experience with WGU to get their masters?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by joeschmoe, Oct 10, 2013.

1. joeschmoe

joeschmoe Companion

Oct 10, 2013

Thinking about a quick way to get a substantial pay increase. WGU seems like it can give me a masters in 1 year. Please share your experience. :)

P.S. Thinking of a Masters in Math Ed.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 10, 2013

Depends on your district. Online programs are not particularly favored in my area.

4. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Oct 10, 2013

I have considered this for myself. I suggest talking to someone at your district office. I was very suspect, called, and they were quick to tell me it is 100% accepted in our district. Several teachers have used it and I would have no issues with it.

5. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Oct 10, 2013

I got mine last year through WGU. I finished in just under 9 months which my academic advisor said was the quickest any of her students had ever done it. I definitely worked for those 9 months to do it in that time but it was well worth it.

6. joeschmoe

joeschmoe Companion

Oct 11, 2013

How many of the credits you attempted were ones where you could take the assessment? The masters in math Ed. has 34 units but I'm curious if very many of those units can even be attempted via an assessment.

7. eternalsaudade

eternalsaudade Companion

Oct 11, 2013

I am not sure which you are considering, but here are the program guides for each version of the Math Ed program. Here you can find information on the type of assessments.

K-6: http://www.wgu.edu/wgu/prog_guide/MAED_MAEL.pdf
    5-9: http://www.wgu.edu/wgu/prog_guide/MAED_MAMS.pdf
    5-12: http://www.wgu.edu/wgu/prog_guide/MAED_MAHS.pdf

After a quick look, K-6 has 2 objective exams, 8 performance assessments, and 2 oral defenses. 5-9 has 5 objective exams (including 1 praxis test), 9 performance assessments, and 1 oral defense. 5-12 has 4 objective exams (including 1 praxis), 10 performance assessments, and 1 oral defense. Hope that helps!

I got my BA through WGU and it was a good experience. They are regionally accredited as well as NCATE accredited so they are legit and although it is self-paced, you will be working hard.

8. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Oct 11, 2013

They are all assessment based. Some assessments are multiple choice tests, some were written essays but all are competency based, not based on time spent "in" class. I'd say it was roughly 40-60 in terms of balance with most of the first half being MC and most of the second written.

I was in the masters ed curriculum design and technology program though so I can't speak to math. I do know they are all competency based, however, unless something has changed in the last year.

9. joeschmoe

joeschmoe Companion

Oct 11, 2013

I'm interested in the MA in Math Ed. 5-12th. I see most of the classes are performance assessment. Are these classes I'm able to just take the tests for? I also see some that are "proctored subjective assessment". How is that different from the performance assessment?

10. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Oct 12, 2013

I looked into getting my masters through them. I decided against it because for the programs I was interested in they required extremely long practicums/field experiences. I can't afford to take so much time off work to complete the hours and I think it's a little ridiculous given that I'm already teaching. I had the same problem with a lot of programs I looked at. I'm happy to try new ideas/do research with my own students, but I don't think I should have to go into another teacher's classroom and take time off from the job I'm supposed to be doing. I chose another online program that doesn't have field experience requirements. I was a little nervous about it being online, but my district has a form that you can submit detailing your courses and they'll let you know if it's an "approved" program for moving up on the pay scale. I have all of my documentation now saying that they approved it so that made me feel a lot better.

I didn't think I would like online classes but I actually really like my program. I like that I can do everything on my own time whenever it works best for me rather than having to work around actually going to classes. I also don't feel like I need the social outlet like I did in undergrad...now that I have a teaching job and friends outside of school.

11. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 12, 2013

Whether it's warranted or not, there is a stigma against online programs, so be careful.

12. joeschmoe

joeschmoe Companion

Oct 12, 2013

I wouldn't go to WGU to land a job. I'd do it just to move up the payscale after getting a job so the stigma doesn't scare me as much. I will have no qualms about telling people I bought my masters. lol.

13. eternalsaudade

eternalsaudade Companion

Oct 12, 2013

A "performance assessment" is a written assignment of some sort. An "objective assessment" (not subjective) is a proctored exam. So in the 5-12 program, you will take 3 proctored exams through WGU, 1 praxis exam, 10 sets of written assignments (the number of assignments per course varies, some only have 1 and some have quite a few), and 1 oral defense.

14. Barbd

Barbd Rookie

Oct 12, 2013

As long as it is accredited with your state, it really doesn't matter much once you have your degree. Most states have +credit hours, which probably won't work with WGU's system and their credits (like many online courses) don't transfer well, so I wouldn't suggest starting and not finishing.

If it is an accepted degree (most Masters choices are basically the same) by your state/district, then I'd say go for it.