Has anyone had an administrator or formal observation and....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by newteacher6, Apr 26, 2012.

1. newteacher6

newteacher6 Rookie

Apr 26, 2012

Has anyone had a terrible formal observation or something happen in your class when an administrator happened to walk in at that exact moment and you wanted to die??? Did a formal observation go terribly wrong but they still gave you a satisfactory or passing score...

Im interested in hearing your experiences

3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Apr 27, 2012

Not personally, but I haven't had a whole bunch of observations yet. However, it has happened plenty of times. Administrators know that you cannot control every second of every day in your classroom. If a student acts out, they are more concerned with how you handle the situation than anything else.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 27, 2012

I have had observations where students where off task or acting out, but I still got an excellent evaluation. Why? Because the principal focused on how I reacted, not on the student behavior.

5. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Apr 27, 2012

I tripped over a child's sweater and fell. I wanted to fall into a hole. She helped me up, helped me bandaid my knee, we laughed about it with the kids, and then I finished the lesson. Everything was fine! :)

6. TeacherTori

TeacherTori Rookie

Apr 27, 2012

I teach special ed. And things are always happening. I used to get really upset about it, One time after the observation. When the admin and I were discussing it she asked me how I thought I did, I said awful so and so ate the eraser, destroyed the puzzle and ran around the room. She reminded me she was not judging me based on what my students did or other uncontrollable circumstances but rather how I reacted to what they did.

7. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Apr 27, 2012

As a long term sub I requested that my principal observe me when I heard her announce in the staff meeting that she wanted to start final observations because I wanted to impress her in case any positions became available.

Right before the demo lesson there was another class in my room that always gave there specials teacher a hard time. To mess with her, they brought spoiled milk in the room they had hidden in a locker and hid it in a corner. By the time I got in the room the smell was awful. Luckily the principal was delayed a few minutes and by the time she arrived the maintenance man already located and removed the milk so it was slightly better. Obviously it was a lot more stress than I wanted right before the observation.

In the end it all worked out. The lesson was very successful and when we sat down to discuss it a few days later she offered me a position on the spot for next year.

8. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Apr 27, 2012

I had a major tooth ache and ended up leaving just after my observation to go to the dentist...two cracked teeth and a cavity!

9. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Apr 28, 2012

In the UK we are observed to death. Sometimes weekly and in some schools daily!

However the one I remember most was a few years back. I have a reputation as a practical joker and had caught out several colleagues over time. They decided to get some payback.

I received a letter from one of the Local Authority inspectors to say that he would be calling into one of my lessons to observe me! This is quite unusual! However he told me which lesson it would be and I had a week to prepare something whizzy for him.

The day arrived and he sat down at the back of the room with his clipboard. I have the class doing several activities in a circus type roster. 10 minutes in and one of the vice principals walks in and says that he needs 5 students and takes them off!!! a few more minutes go by and another VP walks in and without speaking proceeds to walk round the room searching in all the cupboards crashing the doors closed after each search. Eventually she left! A few more minutes go by and the 5 students return noisily! Again another interuption and this time it is the Principal to ask me for some trivial bit of information. The lesson carried on like this for the full 70 minutes with a succession of people coming in and out. Eventually the lesson ended, class were dismissed and I waited for my feedback. As the inspector and I left the room all the school managment and my line manager were standing outside the room and as I walked out they applauded. They had all been in on it!! I did get my revenge on several of them over the coming years.

10. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Apr 28, 2012

If you want some horror stories about inspections in the UK take a look at this thread.

OFSTED are our Government inspectors and their job is to check we are doing our job. They grade lessons into 4 categories. Excellent, Good, Satisfactory (which is about to be renamed required to improve) and unsatisfactory. OFSTED inspections are the most stressful thing that can happen. We havehad many Principals have nervous breakdowns during these and there have even been suicides of teachers because of them!

What makes it worse is most of the inspectors are people who couldn't hack it in the classroom and would run a mile if a student spoke back to them and yet get some sort of pleasure out of bullying good teachers.

http://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/568049.aspx?PageIndex=1

11. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 28, 2012

My principal walked in as I was upset with a ("problem") student who had just purposefully shared the surprise ending of the book to the entire class. He enjoyed himself, too. I responded, upset, something along the lines of, "Really? REALLY?! You really just said that?"

I've never been marked down for anything on an evaluation. My principal never mentioned this.