Has anyone had a snake for a class pet?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Blkjacq, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Blkjacq

Blkjacq Companion

Jul 22, 2010

A friend of mine is offering to give me her snake and I'm not sure. I've never had a class pet and I know nothing about snakes, although I'm sure she'd tell me all about it.

Advice? Pros or cons to having one in the classroom? I mean, besides the obvious fear of it getting out.....

3. SashaBear

SashaBear Companion

Jul 22, 2010

EWWW!

4. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Jul 22, 2010

Our science department tried to have a snake last year (a student donated it), but our admin was TERRIFIED of it, so they weren't allowed to keep it.

I don't like snakes, so this was good news for me!

5. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 22, 2010

We have a teacher that has tons of creepy crawlies (and cutsey wootsies) that he brings to school quite often. He'll keep them in the classroom for a few days and offer to send them around to the other 2nd grade classrooms. Last year he wanted to bring one of his larger snakes (10 ft?) to live. Our principal told him he had to ask our superintendent. He said no. Always ask before bringing them in. He did have a shorter snake that lived in a tank in the classroom. It was important to have a lid on the tank. He had to put something heavy on the lid at night because the snake liked to wander if he could get out.

6. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Jul 22, 2010

NO! I'm scared of snakes and I would imagine some of your students would be as well.

7. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 22, 2010

Yuck! I don't think I'd be able to function in that classroom! :) What if the snake got out :eek:

8. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Jul 22, 2010

I have a four foot Ball Python, and it is great. She eats two live mice once a month. She likes being handled, and has never bitten anyone. The kids love her, well, most of them, and she is low maintenance and simple as pets go.

9. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 22, 2010

The closest I get is inviting a guest speaker in with a snake during our environment/adaptations unit. :)

10. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2010

Just as a point to think on.....

I can't imagine a better way to perpetuate or engender a fear of snakes than for the teachers to have such a visceral reaction.

Well, okay, I can imagine one. But I mean ethically.

11. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jul 22, 2010

I have had a snake, white rats, mice, and gerbils in the classroom.

12. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 22, 2010

I'm not scared of snakes but I am scared of the responsibility of a class pet, so no.

13. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2010

I love snakes and would love one for a class pet. Right now I am looking for a tarantula.

14. MissMeliss

MissMeliss Rookie

Jul 22, 2010

re

My husband loves snakes and we've had them as pets. When I was working at an after school program, he brought one of them in to show the 5th graders and it was a hit. Many of the kids were afraid of snakes before this event but they were all very interested- they asked a lot of questions and many of them asked to hold or touch the snake. My husband taught them the proper way to behave around a reptile, many facts about them etc, and after he left many of them asked if he would be coming back.

I am pretty neutral about snakes, I don't love them but they don't bother me and I think it is important for kids to learn about all animals. I think that having a snake as a class pet could be a good way to teach students that they are to be respected but not feared. I also think it would make an easy pet- they only eat once every 1-3 weeks depending on the animal and don't make much of a mess. Of course you would want a good sturdy cage, and you'd want to learn more about the particular snake and its species first. Some snakes (like ball pythons, someone mentioned above) would be great class pets and others would not.

15. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 22, 2010

If I was to ever get a class pet, I would be on the lookout for the incredibly deadly viper. I've often thought that would make a great class pet! Especially as we read "The Reptile Room" in Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events!

16. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 22, 2010

NO with a capital N-O!

I'm with Pisces, I just can't bring myself to have a pet. I just don't want the responsibility. The closest I've come to a pet was a Venus Fly Trap one year. That was cool. Even cooler because it died before the end of the year, so I didn't have to take it home.

17. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Jul 22, 2010

Word of caution....I don't know if you will have to have a heat lamp for the snake but be careful with heat lamps. One of our middle schools had a fire this last school year caused by a heat lamp. It caused a lot of damage to the classroom and the building.

Other than that, my class has a pet hamster, and the kids love the fact we have a class pet. They are pretty good with him. If you don't mind cleaning cages and making sure they have food, I say go for it.

18. BCPMWK

BCPMWK Companion

Jul 22, 2010

I've heard the corn snakes make good class pets, but I wouldn't want one myself. We had an escaped snake last year (Monty the python), and half of us were terrified...not that we thought we'd be attacked :) just that we'd open a drawer or something and find it. He reappeared several weeks later in another classroom. I'm just glad it wasn't mine!

19. wrice

wrice Habitué

Jul 22, 2010

IMHO reptiles make excellent classroom pets. I have over a dozen different species of freshwater turtles, a 4 foot rat snake and a tiny garter snake. Compared to hamsters and fish, snakes and turtles require less attention and care. With lower metabolisms, feedings can be more infrequent, and leaving them for a weekend isn't an issue. Their cages don't smell, and provided an electric hot-rock it doesn't matter what the temperature is in the classroom. If its a long weekend I'll by the turtles some goldfish and the snakes some bigger mice and they'll be just fine. Yes, you'll need a good cover. Mine is bungee corded on.

As for a fear of snakes, I'd read "There's a Hair in My Dirt" by Gary Larson. The character, a fair maiden, sees a snake coiled around a mouse. She bonks the snake and saves the mouse. Then the maiden dies from a plague she got from the mouse. Teach respect for animals. You don't have to like them, but you do have to understand the role they play in an ecosystem and what could happen if parts of that ecosystem are removed.

20. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 22, 2010

I hate snakes! As a student I would not have been able to concentrate knowing there was one in the room. As a teacher I will never allow it!!