Has anyone gone to an online college for initial teaching certificate?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by amethyst, Apr 5, 2009.

1. amethyst

amethyst Companion

Apr 5, 2009

I'm considering doing it, but I'm really nervous that somehow I won't be able to get certified in my own state or that it'll be a huge to-do to do it.

3. seduflow

seduflow Companion

Apr 5, 2009

you are better off doing that in your own state! it will be easier

4. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Apr 5, 2009

I don't know how it looks on your resume, but personally I would rather get the in-class education... I think your field-based classes help tremendously, but that's JMO.

5. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Apr 5, 2009

I agree with Mrs. Q. At my school online degrees aren't considered as preparing as regular classes. And teachers with certificates from colleges with a traditional program are usually considered better applicants. That being said, if you do go the online route, you need to get a ton of experience with kids. Being a para, or before and after school leader, and summer camp employee will make you a better candidate.

6. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Apr 5, 2009

Good online programs have you in classrooms just like a traditional program. All of your actual classes are online but the work for them must be done in a real classroom.

I have my initial BA / with license prep from WGU. I really really hated/did not learn from a traditional classroom set up, but I had a wonderful experience with WGU. Right now I'm doing a LTS position with the school I student taught in.

7. time2teach

time2teach Companion

Apr 5, 2009

Another WGU student here, its been great for me! We are on temp. military orders and there is no way I could go to a brick and mortar school right now. I will be starting my in class experiences this fall, in addition to demonstration/student teaching after that.

8. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Apr 5, 2009

Doesn't the state require in-class training hours. I know pre-student teaching, I had to complete 90 hours of observations in all and then as a student teacher, I spent 6 months in the classroom.

9. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Apr 5, 2009

My state does not require anything except that you went through a program, passed the praxis and did 12 weeks of student teaching. My school requires much more for the program.

10. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Apr 5, 2009

hmm...some of those requirements may have been my school as well. But it prepared me well. I passed all three tests the first time around and had a job lined up before I even graduated. I just don't know how prepared you can be for an interactive job if you receive online training.

11. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Apr 6, 2009

Even online classes require an interactive portion with actual students, I just didn't have to sit in a classroom bored out of my skull with lectures.

12. time2teach

time2teach Companion

Apr 6, 2009

Yes, my state required 12 weeks of "student teaching". WGU coordinates with each states standards. We actually do several hours of in class experience BEFORE we student teach. WGU is NCATE accredited, not all "regular" college can claim that even.

You have to be very disciplined to do an online program, it can get easy to slack off if you aren't careful. Its a great alternative for those of us who absolutely can't do a set schedule college program and especially for career changers.

13. time2teach

time2teach Companion

Apr 6, 2009

You can be as prepared or more prepared than those who go to a "traditional" school. We spend more time in the classroom than the states require, and have to pass all the same tests and sometimes more than "traditional" schools. And we don't have to sit in class and go the pace of the slower students nor deal with classmates that are fresh out of high school and that could care less and goof off the whole time and are just there to party. (I know not all young college kids are this way, but my daughter is in college, she tells me all kinds of stories of the attitude of her classmates).