Has anyone from out of state been hired in Minnesota?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by zoerba, Mar 16, 2012.

1. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Mar 16, 2012

Hi everyone. :) Next summer DH and I are planning on moving to Minnesota from Alaska. I have started looking into what it will take to get a MN license, and it seems like there are a LOT of hoops to jump through! I will have to retake tests because they don't use Praxis, and also take a ton of extra classes - or at least this is how I'm interpreting it. It seems like a lot and I think there may be more requirements. It's scaring me! So, if you relocated to MN, what was your experience like?

Also, if you currently teach in MN - how is the job market? Do you have any insights into the education system there, or the competitiveness of the job market? Or, even any good areas to apply to would be a help.

I think I am freaking myself out, haha. :haha:

THANKS!

3. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Mar 16, 2012

The job market here is tight. What is your licensure? It probably depends on where you are moving and how far you are willing to commute. I have been teaching 7 years, but have had a different job every year, even having a contract doesn't matter because without tenure you can be let go every spring. (I'm sorry, I don't mean to scare you!) You will have an easier time getting a job if you have a foreign language cert., math, or special ed. RtI is huge right now as is differentiation and ESL (at least in the Twin Cities area). If you are willing to work in a high-poverty school you will probably have more luck than in the suburbs. Also know that you can get a waiver or variance for a few years while you work on finalizing your license.

4. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Mar 16, 2012

I appreciate your honesty, although YES, it does scare me, haha! I am certified K-6 and have a masters in educational technology. I'm currently in my 6th year of teaching and haven't had any worries about job security. Taking this move is a big risk, but worth it I think.

RTI is huge here too, so at least I've got that under my belt. We were kind of thinking about southeastern MN, maybe the Rochester area? I don't know if we can afford to be picky about the area though.

As far as a poverty school - I currently work in a Title I school, so that might work. But I'm also in a medium sized town without a lot of crime. I'm assuming those schools might not be in the best areas?

Also, it's good to know about the waiver. It seems like it will take me a while to get the extra classes under my belt.