Has anyone every moved from elementary to intermediate?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mrsleapfrog, Feb 17, 2011.

1. mrsleapfrog

mrsleapfrog Companion

Feb 17, 2011

I have taught 5 yrs in 3rd grade, 1 year in 4th grade and this is my 2nd year in 2nd grade. I have been trying to get back to 3rd grade but principal is determined to keep me in 2nd . I am seriously considering getting my certifiction to teach 5th or 6th grade. Has anyone moved up and away from elementary? I am would love to teach math!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 18, 2011

I've moved all over the board. What do you not like about teaching 2nd that you loved about 3rd?

4. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Feb 18, 2011

I student taught Kinder, did 6 months as a LTS for 6th grade and am now in my third year at my high school. I'm el ed certified with an add on cert in FACS. I enjoy high school but would like to eventually switch to middle school. I liked my 6th graders but prefer teaching FACS to elementary so a middle school FACS job would be my preference. But until that opportunity comes along, I'm happier as a high school FACS teacher than an el ed teacher. I really enjoy teaching just one general subject which for me is foods classes. I still get variety as I teach Intro to Foods, Nutrition, and Baking & Confections.

Even though my certification is in el ed and my FACS is an "add on" I got several interviews the summer I was job searching. If you think math would be a better fit for you I say take the Praxis and try to move up to middle school.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 18, 2011

I student taught in kinder and 4th grade. My first job was in kinder. I have taught 2nd grade, tutored 4th/5th graders, and subbed from k-8. I was an aide for 2 years in middle school, and now teach high school. This after saying I would never go above 4th grade in my program. I would eventually like to move back down to the middle school level.

6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Feb 18, 2011

Your credential doesn't cover 5th and 6th grades?

Mine is valid for teaching K-8.

7. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Feb 18, 2011

I moved from 3rd to 6th last year. While there are definite benefits to teaching the older children, I would love to move back down to the early years.