Has anyone ever...

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Teaching Grace, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Apr 18, 2007

Has anyone ever worked with a tutoring company? Such as Sylvan possibly? I'm going to be moving to the Athens, Georgia area this summer and (depending on whether I get a job that needs me to teach summer school or not) I need to get some sort of job for just the summer. I was thinking about trying a tutoring company. However, I'm not sure how to go about applying for any positions for tutors. Or, do you think that I should go from school to school and do like a buisness card for being a tutor?

3. SenoritaL

SenoritaL Rookie

Apr 18, 2007

I work with Kaplan in D.C. afterschool. I really enjoy it- they run their school programs well. The program is at the school I teach at, (Title I program pays for it, for students who need remediation) however I am with a class who I do not teach. The coordinators are on site during tutoring times, and get you set up with everything you need. I would suggest working with them! hope this helps!

4. ms_chandler

ms_chandler Comrade

Apr 18, 2007

I have heard that Sylvan only hired certified teachers part-time. Since students are in school all day, the teacher at Sylvan work in the evenings, of course. I know that they have full-time positions for directors.

Good luck!

5. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Apr 18, 2007

Sylvan has summer hours which can be up to 8 hours a day. During the school year, the hours start at 3:00 and end at 8:00; they are also open Saturday from 9:00 to 2:00. (That's here in CA, but probably about the same across America. I worked there for a year-and-a-half and I enjoyed working with the students in small groups. (You do not have only one child at your table, like in the commercials!) It's a great way to experience working with learning difficulties and helping students to overcome them. To get the job, I dropped off my resume with a cover letter and interviewed with one of the directors later.

6. Mldouglas

Mldouglas Comrade

Apr 19, 2007

I work at Sylvan Learning Center!!!!

I am a substitute teacher and I am also currently working as a tutor at Sylvan Learning Center. The amount of hours you work generally depends on a great many factors, such as student enrollment, your availability and the programs you are trained to teach. The hours are generally higher in the summer since kids are out of school.

Marci D.