Has anyone ever worked at an Islamic school?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Kangaroo22, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 9, 2010

I have an interview next week for an Islamic school and I was wondering if anyone had ever worked or interviewed at one. What kinds of questions do you think they'll ask? The school is PK-8 and I think there are a few positions available, but I'm not sure what (I'm certified all grades PK-6 and math 7-12, but I know that private schools have more leeway in terms of certification). Any help would be great! Thanks!

3. Baliboy74

Baliboy74 Rookie

Jun 9, 2010

they'll probably ask if you're willing to fly planes into buildings and kill thousands of innocent Americans

NOWAY would i work in one of those brainwashing places

4. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jun 9, 2010

There is a charter school here that aligns with Islamic education and tradition. I know they focus a lot of multi-cultural education and community involvement. They may ask if you are willing, no matter your religious preference, if you are comfortable upholding Islamic teachings etc....while in the classroom or school functions. that is common question for many religiously affiliated schools, so I could see the same type of question coming up here too.

5. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 9, 2010

Thanks for the advice, Mommyserenity.

6. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 9, 2010

I helped teachers adapt their program for a student with special needs. I absolutely loved them, but I was only able to understand half of the class b/c the second half of their day was in Islamic. I did cover my hair (a parent lent me a hajib(spelling?). I enjoyed it and the teachers and families were great. It was one of my favorite programs to visit.

7. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Jun 10, 2010

It's called a hijab (hee-job). You probably mean "2nd half of their day was in Arabic, right?

8. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jun 10, 2010

I interviewed at an Islamic school recently. They stressed community, caring for the environment and stewardship. they said I did not have to follow their beliefs as long as I could teach the content and work with everyone. I also did not have to cover my head. They explained the christian teachers were not expected to do so. The main focus was on learning language at the school. The teachers there were pretty diverse. The main things they asked were about getting along with team mates, and being involved in students lives.

9. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 10, 2010

Thanks, Proud and JackTrader!

Thanks for telling me about your interview, Julie in GA! It's really helpful to know some of the things that were focused on in your interview.

10. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jun 10, 2010

I would expect that most of the questions would be exactly the type of questions you'd be asked in any other school setting. They are hiring you to teach academics, not religion. I am a Christian but interviewed in a Jewish school. Besides explaining to me the schedule and that my students would go to a religion class (taught by someone else) every afternoon, everything else focused on the academics I'd be teaching and my qualifications. They did take me to meet the rabbi, which I took as a good sign.

11. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 10, 2010

Thanks, sevenplus! I'm thinking that most of the questions asked will be the ones that I'm used to (hopefully, because I've worked out answers to most of them!).

12. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2010

My interview was today, but at the end they said the pay was only $18,000. I expected the pay to be low, but I thought it would at least be in the low 20s and I think that I said that was on the low end of what I'd be able to do (because he asked if I that salary would be okay), but I think my surprise of the salary definitely showed and may hurt my chances.