Has anyone ever started their own tutoring company?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by swansong1, Jul 30, 2014.

1. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2014

Now that I am retired, I would still like to work with children. I enjoy tutoring, but would like some advice getting started on my own. I'm not sure how reliable advertising on Craigslist would be.

3. mrsteach

mrsteach Rookie

Jul 31, 2014

I have not started my own tutoring company, but one suggestion I have is to contact your local Children's Division (or whatever it might be called in your area) to let them know you offer tutoring services.

We had a foster child who was placed with us at the end of school year of his kindergarten year. The school was going to pass him on to first grade. However, after being with us only a very short time, I discovered he couldn't even recognize most of the alphabet (only the letters in his name). The case worker approved to pay for a private tutor over the summer to try to get him up to speed for first grade. She even had a list of tutors to choose from. (While he LOVED the tutor and learned a lot, he was not ready for 1st grade and we had him repeat kindergarten). But there are many foster children who are behind and could use help, so that is one "market" for students.

You might also send information or a flyer to local mom's groups in your area if there are any. That is another group that would possibly employ your services.

Also set up a Google Business Page. It's free and when someone does a search for tutoring services in your area, you could be listed with your address and phone number.

Good Luck!

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2014

Company? No, But I tutor a lot...this summer I'm doing 6 hours at between $60-70 per hour. During the school year I might do between 6-8 hours per week. Most of my kids are in- district and I know the families.
    You might want To set yourself up as a LLC since you don't know the families who will be contacting you. Get business cards made (Vistaprint!) and drop them off/pin up on bulletin boards at library, children's clothing stores, community boards etc. personally I'd stay away from Craigslist.. you might check with local schools and ask to be put on their tutr lists. Rates vary geographically so fish. Around and see what the going rate is.
    Good luck!

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2014

Thanks for the advice!

6. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2014

Keep in mind that MANY community centers are in need of good volunteers to tutor or even teach children and adult programs. You may even be able to start your own program with them if you have services to offer that they need. I've found that few places will turn down a teacher or former teacher as a volunteer. OF course there's no monetary pay but it's really good for the heart!:love:

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 31, 2014

You can also list yourself on WyZant. They take a percentage which they get directly from the parent. You can advertise on there and promote your services, set your own price, etc. I still have one student I got on there over 2 years ago.

8. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 31, 2014

My husband's aunt was a retired teacher when she started tutoring. She converted her basement into a space to work with students. Her business grew so much that she ended up actually hiring teachers to work for her so basically she provided the space and managed the families looking for tutors and collect the total amount of money from them and she would then pay the tutor 70% of that amount.

9. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Aug 1, 2014

:thumb: Thank you for sharing that resource. Even though I am still teaching full time, I would like to make a little extra money over the summer and during the school year without being completely tied down to an inflexible schedule. I have a couple friends who work at tutoring centers and they liked the money, but not the hours.

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 1, 2014

I never liked those chain agency hours - like 3:30 to 7:00 or something - that I see advertised. Also, their pay was low. I work for an independent, privately owned agency and there aren't those kinds of restrictions.