Has anyone ever moved to another state... Need advice

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by mrpro, Jan 17, 2013.

1. mrpro

mrpro Guest

Jan 17, 2013

I currently live in NJ, but I want to move after the 2013-2014 school year. PA is an option, and would be easiest, since I could easily drive to interviews. But other states are also options, and driving to an interview would not be an possibility. I would have to fly out.

Has anyone here ever made a long distance move. How did you go about getting a job? I'm in the situation where I could not move without first having a job (even with a decent savings). Are schools in other states receptive to new residents?

Thanks in advance for any info and advice.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 17, 2013

I moved from the Upper Midwest to the Southwest. I did my interviews over the phone. It wasn't a problem, especially since I was able to get all my licensure paperwork for the new state in right away.

4. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jan 17, 2013

PA isn't the easiest place to find a teaching job. Be open to other places.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jan 17, 2013

I moved from Michigan to North Carolina. I did a few phone interviews in Florida. I came down twice for interviews. Teachers were in-demand here when I moved, so I just sent out hundreds of resumes and cover letters. Once I'd get 1 interview lined up, I'd send emails saying that I'd be in town on certain dates and I'd line up even more.

6. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jan 17, 2013

I applied to two random districts in the state I currently teach in. I moved 1400 miles. It was late July and the hiring season in my home state was pretty much over. I had remembered someone sending an e-mail out from my college telling us her school had openings. At the time, I ignored it figuring I'd never move out here. I looked up the e-mail and applied to her district as well as another district that happened to be posted right next to it on a 3 am whim. I got a call from the other district within 2 days asking for an interview and was hired over the phone. The original district also called, but at that point I'd already been hired by the other one.

You should get the other state's license. I'd tried to look into other states but wasn't having any luck- I found out later it was because I didn't have thier teaching license in hand even though I was eligbile for it. I also later found out that my previous principal only hired me b/c she just assumed I already had this state's license.

After working at that school for 2 years I decided I wanted to live in the city and applied to a couple of districts in one very specific location. I was hired in April from the first interview I did and got calls throughout the summer even though I'd only applied for a couple of weeks very early on. It really is amazing how much the job market varies by location.

7. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 17, 2013

I moved then found a job. It sucked for a few months, but it was worth it.

8. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jan 18, 2013

A friend of mine is moving to Atlanta for husband's job, and already has interviews set up for spring break.

9. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Jan 18, 2013

I moved 2000 miles. I figured out the general area I wanted to move to. I applied for teaching license (this was costly) I was called, did skype interview. (used this site for tips on how to use skype) was hired, flew down to have fingerprints and sign my contract in person.Parts of the country are hiring and parts aren't. Some parts of the South have job openings. Mostly, lower paying and non union. The West Utah, Arizona, Nevada often have job openings too. Nebraska in the midwest has job openings last time I looked. I have a friend that's moving to Memphis. She says the pay is close to the pay in Texas. Texas and Louisiana have higher pay than Mississippi.
    You have a lot to think about . Moving is a great adventure.

10. DisLauraT

DisLauraT Rookie

Jan 20, 2013

I've been wanting to move to the Orlando area for a while, but haven't had any luck. What do you include in your cover letters to make yourself stand out? I live in Illinois and I have family in Orlando, but I don't know if that's appropriate to put in my CL.

Opinions? I tried last year and it didn't happen. I am seriously hoping that this year is my year to land a job in FL and move!

11. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 20, 2013

One thing to add: most of the time when I've been called to interview, it's for the next day or so. It's important to be available.

12. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jan 21, 2013

What I would do is send out your resume for a particular state, explain your situation (ie: I am from Iowa, but I'm going to be in Chicago for three days for interviews) and try to arrange as many interviews as you can during that time.

SIDEBAR:
    Unless you speak Spanish, i would not recommend Texas because they classified people as "bi-lingual" and "monolingual" (a term I never heard until I moved to Texas) on the applications. A lot of P's don't look if you are monolingual.

Actually, even if you DO speak Spanish, I wouldn't recommend Texas because when I was there, the way they hired teachers was you entered your resume in this huge, online teacher data base which principals look through and wait until they contacted you. I waited over three months and never got called. I went to different elementary school, hand carrying my resume. Still nothing. I talked to HR, explained I was desperate for a job. They said they might be able to help me, but I had to wait until all the displaced teachers were placed, which would be completed around October.

That's why I came to the East Coast.

13. wsuteacher

wsuteacher Rookie

Jan 29, 2013

Hi, I just moved from Kansas to Connecticut last May. I did not have a job before I moved here, but I had several Skype interviews beforehand. Part of the problem was that I was not certified when I was start looking and the other part of the problem was that teaching jobs in Connecticut are scarce. I finally found a job in the middle of August.

Although it was challenging, my advice is go where you feel is right -- whether that is moving or staying right where you are!

14. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Jan 29, 2013

DisL,

Did you check the FLDOE site for jobs/job fairs? You may not get Orlando, but perhaps a close county. There are jobs here-unless they change the class-size amendment!!! Hope it works out for you.