Has anyone ever made anything they've seen from those TV chefs?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, May 14, 2009.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

May 14, 2009

I'm watching Rachel Ray right now and have only made 1 of her recipes (oven baked chicken nuggets with all-spice and other ingredients = delicious!)

She and the other chefs make cooking look so easy but they don't show all of the behind-the-scenes things like the shopper and any other person to make everything look perfect :)

Does anyone else on here cook like the TV chefs on the Food Channel? If so, does it take a long time at the store to find everything you need?

3. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

May 14, 2009

I make stuff from tv chefs all the time. I think I have a little bit better stocked pantry/spice cabinet than most people and that gives me a head start. I am also the type of cook that I feel comfortable leaving things out that I know I don't like the flavor of or know it will be too hard to find or replace it with something. When I am looking for a recipe I often start on Food Network or Rachel Ray's spice.

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 14, 2009

I made a pasta mushroom dish w/ this white sauce once for a Thanksgiving side dish that I saw on Nigella Bites. It was pretty good!

I wish I had the money to buy all the wonderful ingredient to duplicate a lot of dishes from Giada DeLaurentis & Ina from the Barefoot Contessa.

5. AMK

AMK Aficionado

May 14, 2009

I have made a few of Ellie Kriegers from the FN. They were good and easy

6. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

May 14, 2009

We've tried making stuff after seeing it on the Food Network and then going to the website to get the recipe. But so many of the recipes seem to have so many little things that we don't have sitting around at home.

I subscribed to Rachael Ray's "Everyday" magazine, and it has a lot of good recipes in it and they don't require 30 ingredients like on the Food Network website. Everything we have made, we love! (I say we cuz my husband does most of the cooking, I help, and then do the cleaning!) :)

7. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

May 14, 2009

I love the Barefoot Contessa's recipes. I use to get Rachel's magazine but the only thing I ever made from it was horrible. Sorry to the above poster!:) Paula Deen's are good too.

8. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

May 14, 2009

I make a lot of Rachel Ray's recipes, several regularly. My favorites are the the Vodka cream pasta sauce and "No Mystery" Pork/Beef/Portebello mushroom marinade.

I make a lot of Mexican Food from the "Two Hot Tamales"- Susan Feniger and Mary Sue Milliken. I love the Tostadas, Bread Salad, and Skirt Steak recipes. I don't think they are not on TV anymore, but I have their cookbooks and attended a cooking class at their restaurant.

I made a delicious breakfast by Paula Dean last month It was good and easy

Once I used one of Emeril's recipes. It was a lot of work, ingredients, and supplies. The taste of the food wasn't worth the time and clean up. :dizzy:

9. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 14, 2009

I have been experimenting with recipes since I was laid off. I agree, many of them take ingredients I don't have. I am slowly building up my spice cabinet. I watch the food network to pick up ideas and skills, as I create a lot of dishes.

10. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

May 14, 2009

Cooks say spices expire after 6 months. I have a few bottles that are 2-3 years old! I buy a bottle and use so little at a time.

11. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

May 15, 2009

I've made stuff from the chefs on Food Network, but always went to the website and printed the recipe first because I can't remember exact amounts of ingredients. All the recipes I have tried were good and I've made them more than once. Like Tashas, I also have a well stocked pantry, refrigerator, spice rack (I think the only spice I don't have is curry) and freezer. I love to cook gourmet like foods, so I'm more prepared than most. I also add or subtract ingredients based on our likes and dislikes. The one thing I wish the shows on Food Network would do is make the chefs cut and prepare their own ingredients (Rachel Ray is the only one who does). It would give viewers more of an accurate idea of how long the dish actually takes to prepare. I also wish they would use more dried spices (like basil, oregano, thyme, etc) because it is expensive and hard to find the fresh ingredients some times.

12. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 15, 2009

We regularly cook from Good Eats recipes and follow Alton Brown's advice from his show regarded products and other methods, as well as recipes. That's how we learned to make sushi - his suggestions made it super easy.

I also do quite a few Paula Deen recipes. If I am looking for something downhome or something I know my parents will like, I always start with her.

13. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 15, 2009

I just wish Paule Deen wouldn't lick her fingers all the time. I rarely watch the Food Network during the school year, but when I saw her on some morning show a while back she was just licking away at her fingers. In your own kitchen, maybe; on national tv..no way.