Has anyone ever made a comeback from burnout?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by whollyconsumed, Apr 11, 2013.

1. whollyconsumed

whollyconsumed Companion

Apr 11, 2013

In the middle of my sixth year of teaching I decided to quit. I felt like I needed to be medicated to go to work everyday and I couldn't bear to put my students through dealing with me in this state. So with MUCH reluctance and hesitation I made the leap. Now I have been out of work for a month and half. I have had time to rest and somewhat recharge even though I have a lot of fears regarding failures. I have explored the thoughts of other careers, but I live in a locale with limited job opportunities. Common professions in this area are nursing, vocational trades such as machining, and sales positions. I have been applying for quite a few of these with no luck oddly enough, but recently I have been entertaining the idea of going back into teaching. However, I have read all of these articles regarding others quitting teaching and have yet to find info on teachers who have taken a break just to take a break!
    The last four years I taught was in a neighborhood with high crime rates and poverty and lots of challenges. I guess I just need some advice. Others say I was a good teacher, but it was really hard for me to believe that because my test scores were not up to par. :help:

3. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Apr 11, 2013

Don't fall into the trap of judging yourself, or your kids, by test scores - especially if you were working in a high poverty, inner city school.
    How about a Montessori school or another private school? If I were a bit younger I would have gone for the training.

Best of luck,
    Steve

4. MissApple

MissApple Companion

Apr 11, 2013

Yes, do NOT let test scores dictate your opinion of your teaching abilities. I work with students who will likely never pass our state exams but I can see improvement through other means.

5. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Apr 11, 2013

Perhaps you could look into private schools where the classroom size might be smaller?

6. whollyconsumed

whollyconsumed Companion

Apr 11, 2013

Thank you so much guys! I desperately need the encouragement!

7. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 11, 2013

Regarding test scores:

We have five 2nd grade classes at my site. One teacher was handed a devastatingly low class this year. I'm not sure how/why she was given a handful of students on IEPs while the rest of us don't have any. Most of her kiddos are emerging readers and considered Tier III. Are her test scores going to be low? Most likely. Does this mean she's a bad teacher? Absolutely not. She's doing the very best she can with what she was given. She has doubted her teaching this year, but we've all remineded her of all the successful years she has had in the past.

8. whollyconsumed

whollyconsumed Companion

Apr 18, 2013

Most of her kiddos are emerging readers and considered Tier III. Are her test scores going to be low? Most likely. Does this mean she's a bad teacher? Absolutely not. She's doing the very best she can with what she was given. She has doubted her teaching this year, but we've all remineded her of all the successful years she has had in the past.[/QUOTE]

I can totally relate to her. I have had a lot of those Tier III students especially in the last three years.