Has anyone ever... (kind of personal)

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Teaching Grace, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Apr 7, 2009

experienced a miscarriage? A week ago I had 2 positive pregnancy tests and was late for my period. On Sunday I was out of town and out at a zoo walking. By the end of the day I had started to bleed. The doctor said that so long as I don't have any pain I should be okay by the time I go on Thursday. I haven't had any pain but I also haven't stopped bleeding. It has definitely gotten lighter but it's very much like a period. I took two pregnancy tests Sunday night and they were both negative. Any thoughts from anyone? The Dr. (who is not my favorite at this practice by any means) told me I'd be fine till Thursday so long as there wasn't any pain. Is it possible that I just miscarried or do you think that maybe I was never pregnant to begin with?:confused:

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 7, 2009

Hi.

I had something very similar a long time ago. I tested positive, even got a blood test to confirm that I was pregnant.

Then, with no rhyme or reason, I miscarried.

I think the doctor's point is that at this point, there's nothing you can do that will effect the outcome one way or the other.

Call and make an appointment with the doctor you DO like. In the meantime, you'll be in my prayers.

4. TeachOnTheBeach

TeachOnTheBeach Rookie

Apr 7, 2009

I experienced the same thing but I didn't miscarry right away. I bled for a while and then when it was over I started to hurt so bad. I ended up miscarrying. I am sorry this is happening to me. It was the worst time for me, I have had several more since then. I will be praying for you and your baby. I am so sorry.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 7, 2009

I had what I thought was a period while pregnant. I've never experienced a miscarriage before though. But what would concern me would be the negative tests. If you did miscarry, I would think you would still have enough hormones in your body to read positive. It could be that you had negative positives. Let us know what the doc says.

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 7, 2009

The concentration of HCG in early pregnancy can drop with shocking speed. As a matter of fact, there's thousands of "suspected" miscaraiges every year because by the time the woman gets to the hospital or dr's office she's already testing negative, so there's no way to know for certain.

tn2...I'm so sorry to hear of this. I know how excited you were. Make an appointment with a dr. you do like and make sure everything is either back to normal or that the pregnancy is still progressing. Unfortunately, the dr's bedisde manner sounds like it needs a little work, but he's right in that unless there's some other factor, like uncontrollable bleeding or fever, there's really nothing you can do except allow nature to take its course. It's awful and emotionally gut wrenching, and the fact that it's common does nothing to ease your pain, but at least the dr could have been a little more sensitive.

:hugs:

7. time2teach

time2teach Companion

Apr 7, 2009

I miscarried once, no pain whatsoever. I was early in my pregnancy like you-hadn't even been to the ob/gyn for my first appt.. I can't believe the dr. said to wait. Take if very easy. Maybe it will all be ok.

8. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Apr 7, 2009

I have miscarried several times. Early there was no pain, just like you said a positive test, period, negitive test. Second time there was more time pregnant....and more pain. Third time (and they were all in a row) made it 6 weeks from end and lost baby. Next two times all was well, and I have 3 wonderful children today.

Sadly the doc was referring to the lack of anyway to counteract the actions your body was taking. Sad, but honest. My doctors said it more nicely-but they really said the same thing.

Take it easy, and when you are ready to move past the dark----there can be a wonderful baby waiting for you at the other end. My two after the troubles are really happy we kept trying. And they are worth the wait.

Sorry.

9. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Apr 7, 2009

In urine this is true, but not necessarily with blood. To determine if a miscarriage happened the doctor would call for a series of Quantitative HCG (not to be confused with qualitative) tests over a period of time which can then let you know if you truly miscarried or not. Single HCG levels do not give much information considering everyone's hcg levels are different and vary from person to person, even with having a "normal range" for the test. HCG levels double within each 48-72 hour period during a normal pregnancy, so the elevated HCG levels in the blood will not disapear within a few days.

Is this fool proof? No, nothing is, but it's a good indicator if you really want to know.

If you really want a solid answer though, do not sit and wait for weeks, or else your HCG level will be significantly lower and not detectable of a miscarriage. You have to go to the doc within a few days! Plus, any good doc will squeeze you in to do the testing because if a miscarriage is evident, then you will be more closely monitored next time you are pregnant and be considered more high risk if a pattern persists. It's important to know you miscarried!

Can you tell I work in a lab?:haha:

10. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Apr 7, 2009

I'm sure your doctor will sort it all out for you, but be careful and get all required tests. You might have miscarried but you might NOT have also.

I had a strange period 8 years ago, then tested positive for pregnancy the very next month. Turns out my baby ended up being SEVERELY overdue and I was actually pregnant during that strange period, without knowing it (a month prior).

By the time she was born just 3 days after my "due date", it was estimated that she was actually 25 days overdue (almost a month!). The doctors took her straight to ICU and expected major issues but....nah, that little girl was and still is one tough cookie!

11. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Apr 7, 2009

Wow! Tiffany, it's like that show on TV now. "I didn't know I was pregnant". I'm glad all is well with your little girl.