Has anyone ever had to switch schools?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Iris1001, Jun 10, 2021.

1. Iris1001

Iris1001 Rookie

Jun 10, 2021

Hi, everyone!
    I hope you’ll forgive me, perhaps I’m just freaking myself out. I got a new job last week, and I’ll be starting at a new high school this August. For the 2020-2021 school year, I was a long-term sub at a different district, covering for a teacher on leave. Let me tell you my story.
    I got my teaching license through alternate route. From 2015-2017, I did my alternate route at district #1. Then, the teacher on leave returned, so I got a job at district #2. I worked at district #2 for two years before getting a full-time college teaching gig. I taught college full-time for a year, but I realized I missed high school so much. So, I became a long-term sub at district #3.
    Now, I’ll be going to district #4, but I have a really bad feeling about it. I’m going to be a traveling teacher with no classroom. The school is HUGE and I feel so lost. I think I will try to suck it up and teach there for a year, since I have no other prospects, but would it be terrible to go to a district #5 in the future?
    I’m so sorry, maybe I’m just paranoid. Maybe this school will be good. I just don’t feel comfortable being a traveling teacher. I’m terrified of history repeating itself.
    Has anyone ever had to switch schools more than once? Please share your stories! ❤️

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 10, 2021

A traveling teacher is actually a teacher who travels to different schools not different classrooms in the same school. There are lots of schools that have teachers who go to different rooms to teach. Find out how many rooms you will be going to and maybe get a file cabinet or something small to leave in each room so you could store a few things. If you have office space to put your personal things it's not like you have to carry everything you own on your back all day long. It sounds like you're making this more of a problem that it probably will be and you haven't even started yet.

Iris1001 likes this.
  4. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jun 10, 2021

We call teachers that move from room to room "traveling" as well. I was traveling my first year teaching at a big high school, five sections of Biology in four different rooms. That was a one year position, so I then moved to a middle school job where I was for seven years. I had issues with admin, so I decided to move, the original school has a math spot, and they hire me. I am told later one of the reasons is because they remembered how good-humored I was when I had been there before, even though I had been traveling.

Iris1001 likes this.
  5. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jun 10, 2021

OP, don't look for problems. If none are there, you will end up making some.

Iris1001 likes this.
  6. Iris1001

Iris1001 Rookie

Jun 11, 2021

Thanks so much, everyone. Forgive me, I truly think I'm just being paranoid. I'm so nervous, but I have to hope for the best. :heart:

7. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 13, 2021

I did 2 years at my first school. I loved working there, but I absolutely hated where I was living and I had no life at all outside of school. I moved to the city and ended up in a dumpster fire of a school, which I only lasted 1 year in. So my 4th year of teaching I was on my 3rd school. I just finished my 8th year there so I've stayed put! I did actually interview in other districts a few years ago, more because I was seeking a different type of position than really wanting to leave my district. I was offered a position, but I didn't love the answers they gave to my questions so I decided to stay. That ended up being the best possible move, because I'm sure that position didn't survive the pandemic (one of the answers that made me wary was that they said the position was "year to year" and totally dependent on funding).

I wouldn't like being a "travelling teacher" but I would presume that rooms are assigned based on seniority? So eventually, you won't be the newest and you won't be the one doing the travelling anymore. Go into it with an open mind. If you're going in planning to leave at the end of the year, you're probably not going to have a good year.

Iris1001 likes this.