Has anyone ever gone for a teaching certificate and then a PhD?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by pinkcupcake90, Aug 21, 2015.

1. pinkcupcake90

pinkcupcake90 Companion

Aug 21, 2015

Hi, everybody.

Hope everything is going well. I'd love to ask you for some advice. :)

I have a big dream of teaching. I love it so much and I want to spend the rest of my life talking about books.

I actually got an MA in English Lit, but I'm now going for a post-bacc certificate in teaching with endorsement for children with special needs. I want to teach high school English for a little while.

But there is also a big chance that I will try applying for graduate school again. I want to obtain my PhD in English Literature and possibly move to undergrad teaching later in my life.

Please forgive me, these might be silly questions, but it would mean the world to me if you could help me out:

1- Have you went back to get your PhD after teaching elementary or secondary ed for a while?

2- I went to a top 10 school for my MA. If I go to a lesser-known college for my post-bacc certificate program, would this hurt my chances of getting into a PhD program?

3- What are the pros and cons of getting a PhD after teaching elementary and secondary ed?

Thank you so much, everybody! Be blessed. <3

3. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Aug 21, 2015

What if you just went straight for your PhD and then did alternate route? You may find yourself more marketable for the AR program and a highly advanced degree. You would also qualify to work in a university, which would open up more job opportunities for you. Are you able to afford all of the schooling that will be required with a post-bacc and a PhD? However, if your heart is set on teaching K-12 and you do the post-bacc and wait to do the PhD, your school may cover a portion of it.
    Most teachers I would say with a PhD teach at the HS levels as opposed to the younger levels because of the opportunity to teach AP or very advanced/higher level classes and putting to full use their education. A PhD would probably not be as necessary for the younger levels due to the content that is taught.

4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 21, 2015

1. I haven't done it yet, but I actually just started seriously looking into it over the past couple of days. I would like to go into education policy, so I'm looking at getting a PhD after another year or two of teaching, in addition to the five I already have.

2. I have no idea. I wouldn't think so, assuming you can still get good letters of recommendation, but maybe it depends on what school you are wanting to go to for your PhD.

3. I think the biggest pro is having real-world practical experience in the field that you'd be teaching undergrads about. You students might take you more seriously. The cons that I can think of would be that, in order to get that practical experience, you have to wait longer to get your PhD, so you'll be older and possibly more tied down while you're trying to earn it.

5. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 21, 2015

What would you be getting your PhD in?

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 21, 2015

Around here it is rare for someone to have their PhD unless they plan on becoming a superintendent (few superintendents do go this far) or working for the Michigan Department of Education.
    I've never heard of a teacher with a PhD in my area.

My best friend plans on getting her PhD, but her ultimate career goal is writing curriculum.

7. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Aug 21, 2015

I think it's really hard to get one's PhD after starting work because it is a LOT of work on top of teaching and takes many years. I have found that the teachers I know who have their PhD obtained it before teaching (and getting their teaching cert). Some of them are AR too.

8. pinkcupcake90

pinkcupcake90 Companion

Aug 21, 2015

I would love to get my PhD in English Literature. :love:

9. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Aug 21, 2015

It's funny you should post this, because I'm thinking of getting my PhD, too. I'll be watching this thread.

10. The Fonz

The Fonz Math teacher (for now...)

Aug 21, 2015

I am in a similar boat.

I have a Bachelors in Mathematics, but my Masters is in Education from Columbia University Teachers College...that's a top 5 school in education.

This year will be my seventh year teaching and I am currently finishing up my second masters degree in Administration from a local university...nowhere near the recognition of Columbia.

I plan on getting a PhD. once I start working in administration...I sure hope I get accepted into a program!