Has anyone ever bought their own laser copier?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pisces_Fish, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 22, 2012

From what I can gather, laser copiers give you more bang for the buck when compared to ink jets. I worked with a student teacher this year who received one as a gift right before she started at my school. She made a LOT of copies off just one toner cartridge and never ran out. Out of curiosity, I scoped out Staples, and you can get one for less that $200. Has anyone done this? I hate that teachers even feel the need to go this route, but nothing is going to change anytime soon, so I'm exploring my options.

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2012

I have one and I love it. I have even looked into getting a color laser printer but the cartridges cost too much.
    I can print so much more than with my inkjet printer (which I use for color copies). It is tough to get copies in school because everything has to be approved by the P and then sent to be copied by someone who doesn't work every day.

4. Sunflower883

Sunflower883 Rookie

Jul 22, 2012

5. bison

bison Habitué

Jul 22, 2012

I have my own laser printer, not copier. It's DEFINITELY better and more efficient than my previous inkjet printer. I bought it over a year ago and still haven't replaced the toner despite having done quite a bit of printing. It's super fast and I love that it prints two sided docs on its own without me having to do anything. I didn't buy one that does color because I don't really need it. Mine was also on sale, for around $90 I think. It's this model: http://www.brother-usa.com/printer/modeldetail.aspx?PRODUCTID=HL2270DW#.UAw9SUTu1fQ

ETA: I ordered mine from Office Depot and had it delivered. They had the best price and free delivery!

6. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 22, 2012

I have a Laser Printer, Copier, Fax. It is made by Brother and I love it. Black and White only though because color would have been another hundred dollars or so and they print slower. Very crisp printing in Black and White and works very well. Got mine on sale at staples for 99.99 down from 199.99.

7. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 22, 2012

Have one and love it. Mine is a Canon and I got it for $99 online at Office Depot and they delivered it free. It's AWESOME :)

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2012

I have a laser printer, but not copier. But I really love my printer!

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 22, 2012

I don't have a laser printer, just a wi-fi HP OfficeJet 6500 4-in-1 machine, but I sure love printing with it using laser paper. It's so thick & smooth.

If I can print that much more with a laser printer, it's worth looking into. How much does black & color ink normally cost?

10. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 22, 2012

Woah, that has my mind made up!! I go through inkjet cartridges like water. It's sick. Do most laser printers come with your first toner, or is it extra?

11. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 22, 2012

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 22, 2012

Same here. My current machine uses 4 cartridges & will total about $75, unless I want to get them from Costco. But, to save money, I've tried the store brand before (& not the printer brand) & I've had to return them because they were defective & didn't work.

13. bison

bison Habitué

Jul 22, 2012

They usually come with a cartridge, but the first one supposedly doesn't have as much ink as the ones you'd replace it with later. I'm still on the first one though, so I can't confirm that part. :)

14. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2012

I have had mine for a few years and have yet to replace the cartridge. I don't use the heck out of it, obviously. When we first bought it we also got a second cartridge thinking we'd need it soon enough. Not so. I think the second one was fifty dollars...but I could be way off.

15. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Jul 23, 2012

Urgh.....now I'm considering buying one off Amazon. I don't think my school has any limits or anything, but I feel bad since I usually do 1 page per student per day (I like to give my students a handout to take notes on each day...) so if I can offset that just a little bit....

Maybe I'll wait and get a feel for it first.

16. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 23, 2012

The 1st toner is usually very limited. I got about 100 pages out of it. Keep in mind, in laser printers you also have to replace the Drum after a while.