Has Anyone Ever Been to a Talk Show?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by jenngugs, Aug 27, 2008.

1. jenngugs

jenngugs Companion

Aug 27, 2008

I'm going to the Rachael Ray show in NYC on Friday and I'm super-excited!! Although, I have no idea what to expect. The email I got just told me when and where to show up, and included some very strict and specific dress code regulations.

Has anyone ever been to a talk show before?? Which one and what was it like?

3. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Aug 27, 2008

I haven't been to a talk show, but I am very jealous! How exciting to go!!!!! Have a great time!!! :)

4. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Aug 27, 2008

Ohh nice Rachel Ray - she gives out free snacks!!!! I wonder who will be there - you'll have to tell us how it is.

I know they have a dress code because they usually don't want logos on screen.

Sounds like a lot of fun.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 27, 2008

That's great! I haven't been on one, but I'd to be in the audience of Oprah's Christmas episode. She gives out a lot of nice things. All that aside, I like Oprah.

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 27, 2008

I went to a taping of Politically Incorrect about a dozen years ago. Bill Maher is surprisingly down to earth.

7. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 27, 2008

I went to 2 tapings of Oprah (she did 2 shows in 1 day). I was kind of an Oprah fan before I went to the show (I was with a group, actually a teaching conference in Chicago, and our hotel got us the tickets). Anyway, after standing within 5 feet of Oprah I was awe-struck. I don't feel these things, ever, but with her I felt such an impresive aura ... maybe I was star struck.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2008

I went to Emeril Live and Martha Stewart. How did you get the Racheal tix?

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 28, 2008

My sister and I got tickets to the Rachael Ray show. They told us to show up at a certain time and we got there an hour early. The line was already VERY long. We waited there for half and hour and they told us they were FULL. They only take a certain amount of people. Most of the people they let in were VIP people. They either won tickets somehow or had shown up before and didnt' get in. If you don't get in the first time they let you get tickets for a NEW date with VIP status and then you will get in. Sadly, I was not able to go with my sister on the 2nd date (it was 2 months later!). She said it was fun though. I think it's a lot of trouble to go down there then have them tell you that they are full. I would make sure you get there WAY in advance and if you are one of the first people in line then you'll have a chance. Good luck!

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 28, 2008

You can just go to the show's website and request them.

11. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Aug 28, 2008

My cousin went to the Racheal Ray show....I do remember her talking about the waiting in line and all that too...I don't remember what happened (as far as if they got in that day or had to go back...) but I do know that my uncle was able to get a still shot on his computer and emailed it to her...then she emailed it to everyone to prove she was on tv LOL

12. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Aug 28, 2008

Fun! I've always wanted to go to Oprah because it would only be a short drive to go to the taping. It's impossible to get tickets though.

What is the strict dress code?

I always think it's funny how everyone in the audience is dressed to the 9's. Everyone looks good in Oprah's audience. I swear they do their make up for them.

13. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 28, 2008

The hotel we stayed at in Chicago gets the overflow tickets. Our names were the first on the list. We found out the night before that we had tickets ... let's just say that the entire lobby area knew something good had happened for our group!

We were asked not to wear black or white because of studio lighting. Once inside before we were seated, people were chosen to sit in the seats that get a lot of camera action, I think based on what they were wearing (that was the rumor that spread around as we were all waiting). The colors these people were wearing complimented the set.

I don't know what it was, but Oprah has a VERY powerful presence. I actually teared up when I saw her (and I wasn't a huge fan).

14. jenngugs

jenngugs Companion

Aug 30, 2008

Rachael Ray was so much fun! My two friends and I went yesterday. We got there around 9:45 and there was already a pretty decent line (we were told to be there at 10:15) Soon after we got there, we were pulled out of line and sent inside...I think because we were one of a few people in line who had actually followed the dress code. Once we were inside, we had to wait a long time for security, and then we were ushered into another room to wait for an hour before the show would begin taping. At least we were fed in that room :)
    When we went into the studo we were sat in the FRONT ROW!! The taping set-up was odd...Rachael didn't make a grand entrance to a cheering crowd as it looks on TV. She just kind of showed up with no introduction, said welcome, and sat down on the couch right in front of me sipping some coffee. We watched her have a live radio conversation, tape a commercial, promo, and then she brought out her guest- Valerie Bertinelli. She didn't actually cook, just chopped up a few things. Her team cooked during the off camera time and then Rachael stirred on camera. We got the snack of the day- a chocolate chip and nut cookie bar. We also got gifted with Spanx, a Rachael Ray magazine, and samples of her new line of dog food as we were leaving.

All in all, Rachael came across very nice to her audience..she even answered some questions in between takes. She is actually much smaller and prettier in person!

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 30, 2008

Sounds like fun! As they say, the camera adds 10 pounds.

16. becky

becky Enthusiast

Aug 30, 2008

I think her choice of clothing style makes her look heavy. Any time I catch her show,30 Minute Meals, she's always wearing hip huggers and very clingy, tight looking shirts. I like my clothes baggy!