Has anyone else seen......?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by scholarteacher, Dec 5, 2011.

1. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Dec 5, 2011

I got some wonderful responses to my appeal to help find our runaway gingerbread men. Has anyone else seen them? My kindergarteners and I appreciate your help! (You know, you respond with something like, "I saw them at the CN Tower in Toronto" or "I saw them at the Statue of Liberty in New York" and so on.)

3. bnwteach

bnwteach Rookie

Dec 5, 2011

I saw them ringing the Liberty Bell in Philadelphia!! I think they were eating cheesesteaks, too!!

4. scholarteacher

Dec 5, 2011

Yum! Thank you!

5. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Dec 5, 2011

I saw them at the Big Ten Championship game at Lucas Oil Stadium on Indianapolis. That is where the Super Bowl will be played this year. Some of them were disappointed that there was nothing going on at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Maybe they'll come back in May to see the Indy 500!

6. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 5, 2011

I saw them at Mt. Bachelor. They were having a great time skiing down the mountain. I bought them some hot chocolate. They told me they were going to Crater Lake after they were done skiing. For the holidays they hope to go to the coast and whale watch.

7. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 5, 2011

I look forward to this every year. This is one of my new Christmas traditions.

Will you let us know some of the reactions?

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 5, 2011

They were at Jones Beach on Long Island on Saturday.

It was kind of chilly, so I'm glad our friends bundled up. But the boardwalk stretches on along the ocean, and you can hear the waves crashing against the sand. Even in December you can find people walking the boardwalk, enjoying the majesty of the ocean.

I'm guessing they were a little homesick, and the sight of the ocean made them feel like they were back in North Carolina.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 5, 2011

Oh, and did I catch a glimpse of them at the tree lighting at Rockefeller Center last week??? The crowds were huge, of course, so it's hard to be sure. Thousands of people crowd into the area, all waiting. Some are lucky enough to be close, and see the skaters and the whole pre-show.

But at one point, we begin the countdown: 10, 9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1.... and thousands of people from blocks away cheer as the magnificent tree lights up,and New York celebrates Christmas.

10. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Dec 5, 2011

I was in central Pennsylvania in the Big Valley on Saturday and I'm pretty sure I saw him riding in the back of an Amish buggy. There were 3 children facing out the rear of the buggy. The 2 girls were wearing their white bonnets and the boy had on his broad brimmed black wool hat. That's where I saw the little fella - right up there on the brim of the hat waving at the slow line of cars following the buggy. He sure was seeing the world at a slow pace!

11. Pacificpastime

Pacificpastime Companion

Dec 5, 2011

I am confident I saw them gazing at the wonder of Niagara Falls. Later, I saw them on "Lady of the Mist" wanting to get even closer the majesty of the falls. They had to wear their gingerbread ponchos, so that their frosting did not wear away!

12. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Dec 5, 2011

They must really like it here in PA. I saw some at Valley Forge Park this weekend running away from the deer. They ran as fast as they could and were able to hide in General Washington's Headquarters. I'm so glad they got away and weren't eaten up!

13. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Dec 5, 2011

Well they must be magic because now they're down here in Texas. I swear I saw some over on a pump jack in Midland right when it started to snow for the first time this year!

14. scholarteacher

Dec 6, 2011

Thanks for asking! We have received about 25 replies from A to Z and about 35 from my facebook friends. The A to Z sightings have been from as far away as Japan, Dubai, 2 Canadian provinces, and about 10 states. My kindergarteners are doing lots of reading, compare/contrast (different gingerbread books), math (how many states have we heard from, how many gingerbread men have returned to us, etc.), Social Studies (states, oceans, landmarks, countries, cultural traditions, etc.), Science (climate, weather), and Writing (letters to their gingerbread, news bulletins, "Missing Children" posters, cloze stories, etc.). It is truly our favorite cross-curricular project. Thanks, everyone! Keep those responses coming! :hugs:

15. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Dec 6, 2011

They're having fun here in Louisiana! They were headed up the Red River to Shreveport. They wanted to see the Municipal Auditorium where Elvis got his start on the Louisiana Hayride. I hope they don't get lost on the Terry Bradshaw Passway and that they find their way back out here to the country where it is safe!

16. scholarteacher

Dec 6, 2011

Are there any sly foxes out there in that country? We know about them! LOL!

17. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Dec 6, 2011

After they were done in Midland, they scooted on down to Fort Stockton where they saw the world's largest roadrunner, Piasono Pete. Who by the way is all decorated for Christmas.