Has anyone else had a flash drive go boom?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Jerseygirlteach, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jul 2, 2013

Okay, so I am freaking out right now. Our computers at school are not able to save anything. I know there's a legitimate reason for this but I can't accurately articulate it. So, all your stuff has to go on a flash drive that you carry back and forth and pray that you don't lose. I was really good about backing up my data to my home computer in the beginning. I did it at least once a week. A few months ago, I got a little complacent. Since then, I've only backed up once (at least 3 months ago).

Well, I just plugged in my flash drive this morning and it's unreadable. :woot: I have two computers at home and neither one can recognize it. :dizzy: So, several months of lesson plans, records, worksheets and tests (that I've made), Smartboard games, unit plans, etc - not accessible. Eek!!

I just brought it to Office Depot and they're going to look at it - hopefully by end of day tomorrow. I'm going to lose it if all my files are gone forever. :(

Anyone ever experienced this?

By the way, please no lectures. I've learned my lesson, I promise. And a warning for everyone else, apparently things like this happen all the time and flash drives have a "high failure rate." Wish I'd known that...:|

3. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 2, 2013

I've heard of backing up your hard drive but not your flash drive. How do you back up a flash drive?

4. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jul 2, 2013

When I say "back up", I just mean save the files somewhere else so if one piece of technology stops working, the files are copied somewhere else. So, I "back up" my flash drive by copying my files to my computer and then saving everything on my computer to an external hard drive.

5. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 2, 2013

Oh, I should remember to do that too.

I hope everything work out for you. It has happened to me at school before and my IT guy was able to figure it out. He was able to save all of my files in a folder on my desktop but he told me to throw out my flash drive and to get a new one.

6. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Jul 2, 2013

Yes, this has happened to me also. I had an entire unit on the drive. The good news is that there is usually a way to retrieve the data. However, it also made me aware of the need to have multiple copies of important work.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2013

It's happened to several students and to a couple of students this year. I hope that your data can be retrieved, and thanks for the reminder that I need to put the stuff from my drives onto my laptop.

8. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2013

Yes, it has happened to me. Twice.

I do now back up my flash drive on the external hard drive we have at home.

Unfortunately, I didn't back up the internal hard drive of our home computer and it just went kaput. Lost 8 years worth of pictures and all of the videos of ds. Fortunately a friend was able to recover the pictures.

When I have a big project (like a presentation) I always save it and then email myself a copy. I need a better routine for daily files, though.

I always think I'm going to use Evernote or Dropbox or Google, but I never do. Or maybe I at least need a scheduled, regular routine of backing up my data.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2013

I use Dropbox quite a bit, but not as often as I should.

On a related, but funny, note--my ads at the top of the page are now for flashdrives (and I haven't searched for them at all).

10. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 2, 2013

My biggest fear. Shouldn't be true but kinda is. I'm keeping a good thought for you.

11. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2013

Thanks for the reminder!

12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 2, 2013

Yep . . . several times.

I always have two flash drives with the same stuff on them, and I also put it on my external hard drive.

13. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Rookie

Jul 3, 2013

Are your computers running antivirus software? There's a virus that does this.

14. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2013

Mine didn't go kaput of its own accord - there was an incident with a vacuum cleaner. Nothing could be salvaged.

Since then, I back up to my computer at home and a spare flash drive, though I'm thinking I would be wise to use Dropbox or Google docs or something online, as well.

15. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jul 3, 2013

They couldn't get the data off of it in the store. :( I can have it sent to the "lab", but that costs $380. :wow:

I went back and looked at my files and I haven't backed up since January.

Should I live with losing a 1/2 a year's worth of data or spend the money? :help:

16. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 3, 2013

It is not worth spending the money on a flash drive in my opinion.

Flash drives are very volatile.

To be honest, you would have more luck if you opened up the flash drive yourself and did a hail mary to try to fix it - http://www.wikihow.com/Repair-a-USB-Flash-Drive

17. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jul 3, 2013

I couldn't care less about the flash drive - only the data that's on it.

Thank you for the link, but the chances that I'd be able to do a DIY circuit repair are roughly the same as my odds of becoming an Olympic gold medalist. ;)

18. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Jul 3, 2013

Just an idea- I have a mac and my coworker had a pc. Her flash drive did this. I plugged it into my computer and I was able to access the files. I saved them for her. It might be worth trying on a different type of computer (I know you said you tried on two, but don't know which kinds). Hope it helps.

19. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 3, 2013

I basically did a quick browse over it and it seems more like it requires dextrous movements, like snipping a tiny wire

20. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jul 3, 2013

I wouldn't spend the money. They were going to charge us $700 to try to recover our hard drive. Even though all of my photos were on there, I wouldn't do it.