Has anyone else ever been sterotyped because you're a teacher?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Teacher_Lyn, Dec 28, 2008.

1. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 29, 2008

Do you have DSW near you? They are having their annual sale- I had a gift card last year and almost hyperventilated at the sale...so many shoes...so little closet space...

http://www.dsw.com/dsw_shoes/catalog/index.jsp

2. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 29, 2008

Ohhhhh, there's one a few minutes north of me....I think I can get another hanging rack in my closet....

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 29, 2008

Seriously- last year I had a $50 DSW gift card from a student...my first time at the sale- I was sitting with shoe boxes piled up next to me over my head...some of the shoes are 80% off!! EEK! I bought 3 pairs of black shoes alone- strappy sexy ones, pretty ones for dress up, and a patent leather pair of RALPH LAUREN tee-strap pumps== the Ralph ones were $20 (80% off...)..plus a fun pair of blue patent leather pumps (why not?) and a pair of snakeskin looking flats...I spent just a little more than the gift card...;)

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 29, 2008

Yes! That is so annoying. My mother does it. :mad:

5. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Dec 29, 2008

I'm not that great at math. I get comments from my mom about how it's a good thing I only teach Kindergarten...funny...I taught HS physics a few years back.

6. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Companion

Jun 5, 2019

Hey if that's what you like, go you! But I don't understand it. Why shoes? I have 4 pairs of shoes- sneakers, a dress sandal, a casual sandal and dress shoes. I guess slippers count too, so that's five. I can't imagine. I would rather buy a book or go see a movie than buy a new pair of shoes.

7. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Jun 5, 2019

We're feeding Rosso! Just like when you are about to have glass of milk, CHECK THAT DATE!

futuremathsprof likes this.
  8. Michelle

Michelle Rookie

Jun 5, 2019

As an assistant / paraprofessional, we are stereotyped more than anyone.

9. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jun 6, 2019

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019 at 8:39 AM
  10. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Jun 6, 2019

The thread is 11 years old...!

czacza likes this.
  11. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Jun 26, 2019

Yes, though I admit I'm a bit curious now how mmswm's kid turned out! Was the budding ballet/ice skater/shoe lover gay, or did he end up with a harem of "super cute" girls following him around?

I guess he'd be college-aged now.

12. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 21, 2019

I don't know about stereotyped, but when people find out I teach ELL students their first question is always, "Really? So how many languages do you speak?" Um, one. I speak one language.

13. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 21, 2019

:p Me too!

14. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Jul 21, 2019

Since everyone else is chiming in still, I get stereotyped by people during dinner outings or on vacation occasionally. They will ask what I do for a living and when I used to tell them that I am a high-school math teacher and private tutor, they would usually state something like, “Thank you for all you do. I couldn’t do it because I would make too little money.” Or, they say something like, “How do you survive on such a salary?”

To which I smile widely and reply, “Well, I work at a well-to-do private school and so we have an overabundance of funding. I get a $7,000/year raise and get ~4 months off per year (federal holidays plus Easter Break, Thanksgiving Break, Christmas Break, Summer Break). Plus, I have three- and four-day weekends with how the school calendar works out and I make six figures. I also make sure to let them know I’m completely debt free and only have about $1,400 in bills each month. This immediately stops them in their tracks regarding the “meager” earnings comments and then I follow up with, “So how much vacation time, in weeks, do you get?” They respond with, “Two. Weeks.” or something like that. And I say, “ONLY two weeks?! I don’t know how you do it?!” :D

Jammy likes this.
  15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 22, 2019

Yes, they say I must have a lot of patience and I must love kids. I love teaching kids but that doesn't mean I would love to have a dozen of them running around my house. I have patience to a degree but I don't think any more than a lot of regular people.

futuremathsprof likes this.