Has anyone else ever been sterotyped because you're a teacher?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Teacher_Lyn, Dec 28, 2008.

1. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2019

Yes, though I admit I'm a bit curious now how mmswm's kid turned out! Was the budding ballet/ice skater/shoe lover gay, or did he end up with a harem of "super cute" girls following him around?

I guess he'd be college-aged now.

2. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 21, 2019

I don't know about stereotyped, but when people find out I teach ELL students their first question is always, "Really? So how many languages do you speak?" Um, one. I speak one language.

3. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 21, 2019

:p Me too!

4. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Jul 21, 2019

Since everyone else is chiming in still, I get stereotyped by people during dinner outings or on vacation occasionally. They will ask what I do for a living and when I used to tell them that I am a high-school math teacher and private tutor, they would usually state something like, “Thank you for all you do. I couldn’t do it because I would make too little money.” Or, they say something like, “How do you survive on such a salary?”

To which I smile widely and reply, “Well, I work at a well-to-do private school and so we have an overabundance of funding. I get a $7,000/year raise and get ~4 months off per year (federal holidays plus Easter Break, Thanksgiving Break, Christmas Break, Summer Break). Plus, I have three- and four-day weekends with how the school calendar works out and I make six figures. I also make sure to let them know I’m completely debt free and only have about $1,400 in bills each month. This immediately stops them in their tracks regarding the “meager” earnings comments and then I follow up with, “So how much vacation time, in weeks, do you get?” They respond with, “Two. Weeks.” or something like that. And I say, “ONLY two weeks?! I don’t know how you do it?!” :D

Jammy likes this.
  5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 22, 2019

Yes, they say I must have a lot of patience and I must love kids. I love teaching kids but that doesn't mean I would love to have a dozen of them running around my house. I have patience to a degree but I don't think any more than a lot of regular people.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 22, 2019

People always say that they don't know how I do what I do.

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 22, 2019

Right. Just like I would say that to a rocket scientist or a doctor or anything that seems difficult to me but they are doing just fine at.

8. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Cohort

Aug 1, 2019

9. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Cohort

Aug 1, 2019

A long time ago, my daughter was taking a state history class. I did not grow up in that state. I had no clue what the answer was to a question she asked me. She was shocked when I did not know the answer. She innocently looked at me and replied, "Wow! ….and they LET you be a teacher!" She looked bewildered. So, yeah! :) Even kids stereotype teachers.
    I was lucky though because the place we lived then had a very positive opinion of teachers. It helped me out a lot when I needed to cash 3rd party checks, buy property, or get a loan. They just assumed that since I was a teacher that I was responsible and honest.
    Time and place have changed for me now though. I am so different than a stereotypical teacher is here. It can be frustrating at times.

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 5, 2019

That's funny. A friend of mine on Facebook posted about a certain town in her state (about 5 states away from where I live). I asked her if that town was nearby where we vacationed. She said, "No! You should know that. YOu're a teacher"! How would I know that when I do not live there??? Teachers don't memorize maps of every state LOL

Tired Teacher likes this.
  11. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Aug 5, 2019

I always get the "you must be so patient!" Comment.

I also had a 4th grade student last year ask me how old I was and she said, "wow, 30 seems young to be a teacher", and I was like, "... You do know there are teachers in this school younger than me" :toofunny:

12. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2019

I sometimes get the "how fun!" when I tell people I'm a teacher. I am HOPING that it will be fun soon but last year was mostly not fun for me haha.