Has anyone done the Book It! program?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by allaphoristic, Oct 1, 2017.

1. allaphoristic

allaphoristic Companion

Oct 1, 2017

I grew up getting free personal pan pizzas through Book It and loved it, but as a teacher, I'm a bit worried that it's just another stressor around reading for my students. I have quite a few reluctant readers this year and I don't know that I want to add anything on top of Accelerated Reader (mandatory at my school).

Has anyone done Book It? If so, was it beneficial in your classroom? How did you have students track their progress towards their monthly goal?

3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 2, 2017

Could you make it optional? Let them know it's possible to earn pizza by reading, and then just keep a chart in the back or the room somewhere with how many books they've read?

4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Oct 7, 2017

I'm not doing Book It, but our local NHL team has a similar program where kids can earn hockey tickets. I'm not requiring that everyone participate, but I'm encouraging it. Some kids are super excited about it and are reading a whole lot more. To track progress, students just record their book and number of minutes on the log provided by the program.

5. zoltar

zoltar New Member

Oct 7, 2017

The Book it program is really flexible. You, as the teacher, set the goals for your class and decide who has met them. You can set different goals for different kids and even count class or homework reading.

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Oct 7, 2017

Wow, that is a blast from the past! My son LOVED the Book It! program, and to this day love Pizza Hut pizza above all others. He is brand loyal, but I never cared then or now. You have to meet these reluctant readers on terms that matter to them. If it is pizza, tickets, or anything else, it only works if the students buy in. I think that if the goals are flexible, start where they can find success, and build from there. Honestly, even reluctant readers can find appropriate materials that qualify, and maybe an added incentive will make reading more palatable. (Yes, pun intended.) Best of luck.

7. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Oct 7, 2017

If you are a low income school, use it! Those kids need any positive opportunity and food they can get.

8. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Oct 7, 2017

My approach to all of these types of programs (never done this one, but promoted many similar) is to tell the kids that they're already going to be reading tons, so why not get free stuff for doing what you're already doing? :)

bella84 likes this.
  9. autumnbrooks

autumnbrooks Rookie

Oct 7, 2017

Book it! Back to my childhood right there...

I agree with others that I don't think it would be stressful. It's just one more reason to encourage readers :) Make it optional but make sure your students are aware of it.

10. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Oct 7, 2017

We used to do it, but there are no longer any Pizza Huts in our area.