Has anyone been a rater for the CAASPP, Pearson, or ETS tests during the past year?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by miatorres, May 24, 2018.

1. miatorres

miatorres Comrade

May 24, 2018

About 1-2 years ago, there was a forum discussion on what it was like to be a rater for the CAASPP (California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress), Pearson, and Educational Testing Services (ETS) standardized tests. I didn't have the time to apply to be a rater during the past few years, but I am interested in applying during the fall.

If you have been a rater for any of these tests during this past year, did you enjoy the experience? What are the pros and cons of being a rater?

3. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

May 24, 2018

I was a rater, I think through ETS -- it was for the Gates Teacher Effectiveness study. I was a rater and then a scoring lead for the mathematics teaching one. So - not tests, but actual videos of teaching.

I enjoyed it enough since I was a sub at that time, and so my schedule was a lot more flexible. It paid well, given that I literally could get up out of bed and be at my computer in a second (it was $24/hr, I think, with completely paid training and breaks and such. I loved that it also somewhat acted as professional development for me, too.

The downside was the fact that it took a while to get going, and then was off/on with the scheduling, not to mention short term.

miatorres likes this.
  4. miatorres

miatorres Comrade

May 24, 2018

mathmagic, This sounds like the Gates Teacher Effectiveness rating project would be a great experience! How many months of rating did you complete before you became a scoring lead?

5. pommom

pommom Comrade

May 24, 2018

I did for Pearson in TX. I graded essays. It was nice to meet and talk to other people. The job was boring and repetitive, but it was a job and down the street from me.

miatorres likes this.
  6. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

May 24, 2018

Any tips for getting one of these jobs? Are scoring jobs online or at an office?

7. miatorres

miatorres Comrade

May 25, 2018

I heard that ETS has scoring jobs available throughout the year that teachers can perform in an online setting.

The following is the link for information on the current ETS online scoring jobs that are available:

https://www.ets.org/scoring_opportunities/

I haven't applied to be a rater yet, but I'm hoping to do so in the fall.

8. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

May 25, 2018

Hard to remember, as it was about 6-7 years ago, but it was probably just a month or two -- I think it was a mix of quality of ratings (in the quality checks) and that I could speak to the ratings really well when talking to my scoring lead at the time, that led to it.

(The weirdest part was then being a scoring lead for such a diverse group of people, from teachers, to professors with PhDs, etc...)

miatorres likes this.
  9. miatorres

miatorres Comrade

May 25, 2018

Thank you for this information! I heard that when grading the TOEFL, there is also a diverse group of test-takers, ranging from high school seniors who are applying to U. S. universities, to professionals such as pharmacists and medical doctors who are seeking to transfer their licenses to the U. S.

10. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

May 25, 2018

I haven't done those, but I have done ACCESS for ESL. The job wasn't that bad. The work itself is pretty dull and repetitive, but the people were interesting. The company I worked for was really nice and my hours were very flexible. As long as I worked close to the same number of hours, they didn't care when I did them. Depending on the number of items you score, it's mind-numbingly boring. Imagine grading the same worksheet thousands of times. That said, if my company hadn't lost their contract, I'd be back every summer.

miatorres likes this.