Has anybody read any of these books?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by vannapk, Jan 24, 2009.

1. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jan 24, 2009

Has anybody read any of the following books?
    • Transforming Literacy Practices in Preschool: Research-Based Practices That Give All Children the Opportunity to Reach Their Potential as Learners by Lea McGee
    • Achieving Excellence in Preschool Literacy Instruction (Solving Problems in the Teaching of Literacy) by Teale
    • Developing Literacy in Preschool (Tools for Teaching Literacy) by Mandel-Morrow
    If you have read any of the above can you please give me your opinion? I'm trying to decide on which one to buy first and possibly use for a pre-k teacher book study.
    TIA

3. imat

imat Rookie

Jan 24, 2009

I have not read any of those books, but I just got back from CPIN training on Producing strong language and literacy outcomes for the young. The lady that present was Dr. Theresa A. Roberts and she was dynamic. She is right on the same line as you are with the language and literacy going on in your classroom that I see on your web page. She wrote a book called No Limits to Literacy for Preschool English Learners and it is all researched based. I purchased her book and have just started reading it and it is wonderful. She talks about building early literacy skills by teaching the alphabetic principle, phonological awareness, and vocabulary. Encourage family involvement and nurture the home-school alliance. It is a good read but more like a text book.

4. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jan 24, 2009

Thank you for the info, it looks perfect. Do you have the paperback or hardcover edition? Where did you purchase it from? At Amazon they say the paperback won't be released until Feb 19th ...

5. imat

imat Rookie

Jan 24, 2009

I purchased it at the workshop(paper back). She had just recieved a shipment. Our director purchased them as well for other staff members. She is going to have us read it and have a book discussion out our staff meetings.

6. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 24, 2009

NAEYC sells books, you might check that site for books.