Has anybody heard of/used edmodo?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mathrulz, Sep 4, 2011.

1. mathrulz

mathrulz Rookie

Sep 4, 2011

I just heard about edmodo which is a social network specifically for teachers, parents, and students. I could not get too much info from their website.

I was wondering if anyone knows any info about this. If you use edmodo, what do you use it for? Are students receptive in using this site?

Thanks.

3. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Sep 4, 2011

I used Edmodo for 2 years.

It really is a great service.

It is free.

I used it to share assignments and communicate with students. It worked pretty well. All of my students have a laptop, we are a 1:1 school. If your students do not have daily access to computers, it might not be terribly useful.

It is a very safe platform and the creators are always available for support.

I am not using it this year because I went back to having a class website.

One of the favorite features for students was the text messaging option.

4. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Sep 5, 2011

Edmodo is wonderful for classrooms! I use it to assign work and students submit work on Edmodo. I grade those assignments and communicate with individuals. Edmodo has a gradebook for all assignments. Students can comment on each other's work and work from any internet connected tool. It really cuts down on paper. Also, makes the entire management of work pretty easy! We use it with our 2nd graders and up throughout the school. Looks and feels like Facebook so kids are very comfortable and familiar with it. Best of all, no student emails are needed and the entire classroom group is private. You can create many different groups and each gets assigned a code. the code is all the kids need to get access. Very simple. You can sign up as a teacher and get set up within a few minutes. Play around with it. Whatever you initially set up can be changed by you so there's no harm in trying it out.

5. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Sep 5, 2011

I'm also in a 1:1 school, and several of us used edmodo for a few years, but then our district "discouraged" it and made us use the one they PAY for us to have. :banghead:

Those teachers who used it on campus never had any issues with it!

6. mathrulz

mathrulz Rookie

Sep 5, 2011

Thanks for the replies.

Windycitygal606, good idea - I think I will try playing around with the site.

7. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Sep 5, 2011

Yes, I used it for two years in Utah. The kids would have to be in the computer lab. One of the activities was listeneding to The Outsides on a CD (we were halfway through the book) and the kids were posting their predictions, thoughts, etc in real time. We also used it to post homework. We don't have the technology where I am now. In fact I joke I'm teaching with a stick and rice in a tub:) The school district I work in received SPED money and I was told Thursday I am getting a smart board, laptop, and projector...I can hardly believe it....back to the quesiton...Edmodo was fun but it wasn't something I had to have.

8. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

Sep 5, 2011

So... if I join Edmodo, can I see other teachers' Edmodo pages??

9. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Sep 5, 2011

I saw another teacher's edmodo page. I can't remember for sure, but I think the primary teacher has you link to his/her site.

10. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Sep 5, 2011

Yes, like friending in FB.

11. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

Sep 11, 2011

Huh. I can't seem to find my daughter's teacher or my daughter on Edmodo. I'm on it. But I haven't done anything with it b/c I'm just perusing it for now.

12. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Sep 11, 2011

Can you explain the text messaging option? Does this mean that you can "tweet" on Edmodo and instantly the students receive text updates?

13. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Sep 11, 2011

OP, I love Edmodo. I am a first-year user but have really grown accustomed to it. I post all my assignments and class PowerPoints on there for students to access. They haven't exactly taken initiative, but I've taken these first three weeks to get fully acquainted with everything...and now this week will begin posting assignments for them to do strictly online. Good luck!

14. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Sep 13, 2011

I just started using Edmodo this year, too. My honors class is divided into teams for the year, so I was able to create small group chats on Edmodo for off-site collaboration.

I also use the site for announcements and posting powerpoints. I want my students to use it as a collaborative homework help site. I haven't tried using it to collect homework.

15. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Sep 17, 2011

I really love edmodo. All of my students have internet access after school and it is a great communication device. It has been wonderful to watch the kids forming support networks to help each other!

16. SJU_MAN

SJU_MAN Rookie

Sep 17, 2011

I'm completely new to edmodo, could someone tell me how it compares to the use of a wiki? Also, is there a limit as to how much data I can post on my page?

17. dibba

dibba Rookie

Sep 19, 2011

So why/how is it free? Are there ads, or a premium pay version?