harry wong's quieting technique.. WHEN I HOLD UP MY HAND!

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by traeh, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 21, 2007

It's like getting them to do anything else, you're got to TEACH them how to do it and practice, practice, practice.

2. Mr.G

Mr.G Rookie

Sep 27, 2007

I use the quiet coyote. It means mouth shut...ears up

I have 6th graders and it works amazingly, like an 11/10 (or for the math folk a 1 1/10)

I learned the idea from a 9th grade teacher @ a rough school, so I think it works just fine. I actually couldn't think of another way to get the kids queit.

Don't use noise to get silence...

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 27, 2007

I went to a small workshop the other day and the presenter used this technique to get our attention. Ugh. We were a group of thirty adults - all she had to do was say, "If I could have your attention please..."

4. ebrillblaiddes

ebrillblaiddes Companion

Sep 28, 2007

Gotta say, I've got the same problem. My last class of the day can be good; I know, I've seen them do it a few times. So they know what to do. They just, usually, don't care. When a vocal and socially significant portion of the class doesn't value school, doesn't value being good, doesn't value math, etc., I'm at a loss for what to do. When they talk on quizzes, I've started taking the quiz away and giving them a 0 because I can't tell if they're cheating. It doesn't bother them.

I think we sometimes forget, in all the psychological research-based positive problem-prevention behavior management system programs, that the kids do in fact have free will.

5. Momm23

Momm23 Rookie

Sep 30, 2007

Harry Wong

I am not sure what grade he taught but his technique doesn't work for highschoolers. I have tried too many times.