Harry Potter

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by DizneeTeachR, Jun 19, 2003.

1. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 19, 2003

I was wondering how many of you or your children are awaiting the arrival of the 5th book of Harry Potter. I cannot wait to see what happens in this one. I have read all 4 and own both movies... I usually try to reread the book that will be the movie before the movie comes out, but I don't know if I'll get to it this year (My husband bought me The Guardian by Nicholas Sparks), plus I'll probably get the new HP and those books take a little while to read.

I was just curious!!!

3. Cindy

Cindy Companion

Jun 19, 2003

We will be getting our copy on Saturday, we can hardly wait. I heard on TV last night that someone dies in this book, I'm wondering how kids will take this news.

4. Shilo

Shilo Rookie

Jun 19, 2003

I'm wondering how many of you were allowed to use Harry Potter in your classroom? I teach very young kids so it was never an issue for me, but the teachers of older children were told they could not use it in the classroom. The practicing of witchcraft and wizardry was found offensive by some parents (religious reasons). The books were not removed from our library or anything like that, they were allowed as silent reading books by children and sold at the book fair, they were just banned from being used as teaching material or read alouds. This is a public school. ...just curious on what other schools thought...

5. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jun 19, 2003

You know, if these places are going to ban stories about witch craft and wizardry, then they'll have to ban just about every fairytale out there... fairies, witches, wizards, magic spells... Think about it... Cinderella - a fairy godmother turns a pumpkin into a coach with a flick of her wand and magic words... Sleeping Beauty... witch casts a spell on her and then there are the 3 fairies that do their own little tricks... The Sword in the Stone... Merlin was a wizard... Snow White... magic potions... Peter Pan... Tinkerbell and her dust and let's throw in all the violence in those movies, too... LOL sword fights, death/deep sleeps. Anyway... just throwing some humor into this. :D

Lori

6. Shilo

Shilo Rookie

Jun 19, 2003

This was the argument the teachers used...teachers of young children could use fairytales as tewaching ,material and read alouds so why not Harry Potter?...they lost the arguement :rolleyes:

7. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jun 19, 2003

Oh well, life goes on... as long as there are books there will be banned ones.

At least kids are reading. I hated reading once I hit 4th or 5th grade. If you were to hand me that big thick Harry Potter book back then, I would have laughed at you. I still don't like big thick books. When I read those Chicken Soup for the Soul books, I get the figits if it is over 4 pages... LOL. I have a short attention span at times with books.

I liked the first Harry Potter movie. I haven't seen the 2nd one yet.

Lori

8. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jun 19, 2003

I can't wait until it comes out, but figure that since my name isn't already on the waiting list at the library to borrow it, I won't get my hands on it for a while... don't spoil it for me. ;)
    I'd buy it, but that would ruin my perfect paperback collection. :)

9. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 19, 2003

Shilo,
    The school I'll start work at in the fall has a couple of teachers who read the books. One time a subbed for one of those teachers and she told me if I didn't feel comfortable reading it then I didn't have to. I told her I had read it and it wouldn't bother me.

Clarnet,
    I'm the opposite I need the hard cover so it doesn't ruin my collection!!! ha ha ;)

10. hillsidefogo

hillsidefogo Companion

Jun 20, 2003

My whole family loves Harry Potter! I'm not one to go for books that everyone says you just have to read but when someone gave my daughter the first one for Christmas she loved it so much that I deciced to read it- and then my husband, who ususlly doesn't read fiction read it. When we got the 2nd book all three of us were sneaking it from each other lol. When the 1st movie was coming out I started to read it aloud every night to my son (my daughter listened in too) and he just wanted to stay up reading. Over the next year I read them all aloud(no mean feat with all the unusual words). Now I've preordered my copy of the new one and plan on reading it aloud to my children on a very long(8 hours)Plane trip we'll take in July. I just hope I don't drive my fellow passengers crazy!

we are allowed to use the books for lessons- I think the main lesson of the book is that there is evil out threr but good and love pervails.
    Happy reading!

11. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 22, 2003

I got my copy yesterday at Sam's Club for $15.72... at a local store it was 22.99. I just got started... I did see someone at Sam's turn to the last page to see what was happening!!! I thought, boy that takes all the fun out of reading it.

12. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 27, 2003

I was at Books A Million first thing Saturday morning and then went into hiding for the weekend. Now I'm through with it.:( So...how long do you reckon we'll have to wait for year 6? :D

Christy

13. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 27, 2003

Our school hasn't taken an official stand. When the first movie came out one of our teachers bombarded the rest of us with emails and such on what a horrible book it was. I taught her daughter that year and had the book on my shelf. She tried to force me to pull it. I told her if she didn't want her child to read it then tell her not to, but until I was told officially wasn't removing it from my shelf. Then I asked her if she had read the book and she spit and sputtered for a while and said "No." I find that a lot of people who are claiming how evil the book is are in that same position. I don't understand how they can claim how evil it is if they have never read it. I now have all of them in my library at school and the kids read them all the time. I've never had another comment or complaint from any parent. (Of course I also have 3 or 4 copies of the Bible in my library and no one has suggested I remove them...not that I would.)

Christy

14. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jun 28, 2003

I liked the movie... as for reading the book... I don't have the attention span for a book that large.

BUT here is my 2 cents worth...

Those that have a problem with the witchcraft and wizardry must believe in witches and wizards. I don't have a problem with it... I don't believe in witches and wizards there for the book doesn't bother me... it is just that... a book... a story to involk (sp?) out imagination! Look at it this way... Sleeping Beauty... can a witch REALLY put a spell on a spinning wheel needle putting her in a deep death sleep and make everyone in the kingdom go to sleep? NO! Cinderella... can a fairy godmother turn a pumkpin into a coach, NO. Sword in the stone... can Merlin turn him and the boy into all those animals? NO. Little Mermaid's Ursella the Octopus lady... need I say ANYTHING ABOUT an octopus lady and a mermaid? Think of all the witches and ghosts in the Scooby Doo cartoons from the 70's!!! Do they have a problem with them? If you have a problem with witches and wizards... what about little green men from mars or wherever on the Flintstones... it is imaginary.

ANYWAY.. getting off my soap box and tossing another penny or 2.. I think I went over my 2 cents worth... LOL

Lori

15. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Jun 28, 2003

all over the town

i saw publix grocery store has a table with harry potter books for 21$
    Walmart has them for 17$
    I am not looking for the lowest price but when i saw how assessible they are i decided not to jump at it. We watch the chamber of secrets OVER AND OVER again (car DVD player) and its my kids favorite movie.ruth

16. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jun 28, 2003

Ruth... KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE ROAD! LOL

Lori

17. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 28, 2003

My daughter has been in her bedroom reading it all day.

18. Bookworm

Bookworm Companion

Jun 29, 2003

I don't plan on reading the 5th Harry Potter soon, but want to know who dies. Can someone who has read the book email with the scoop.

Thanks
    rmskeel@msn.com

19. alleykitten

alleykitten Rookie

Jun 29, 2003

HP - and other books you may like

I absolutely LOVE the Harry Potter books. I love them for a few resons:

1. Wonderful plot, characters, etc. It's FUN to read.

2. Oh MY GOD! My husband reads them! This is a man that considers reading to be "to hard to be entertaining." They got my husband to READ! H.P. is a GODSEND!

3. My neice loves them! At eight years old she BEGGED for Order of the Pheonix. Who in their right mind would deprive a child of reading a book?

Now, if you like Harry Potter you might also what to get your nose into these books:

Artemis Fowl by Eion Colfier (this is a series...currently up to three books) - 11 year old criminal mastermind plans to con LEPrecons out of their gold.

A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket (A series currently at book 10) - No happy endings here. If it's bad it's going to happen...sarcastically funny.