Harry Potter Party-Ideas?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Jem, May 1, 2011.

1. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 1, 2011

Soooo.... I need to practice using a ticket-creation website, so I had to think of an event to create and sell tickets. Not an easy feat when all my parties are free.

Then I thought about how I wanted to have a really great final hurrah party for the last Harry Potter movie in July. I could 'sell' tickets for the event that would cover the movie ticket and a few dollars for the food.

I need help brainstorming ideas. This website that is created will be seen by a potential boss, so I want it to reflect my ability to brainstorm, think outside of the box, customize, etc.

First and foremost, I need a really clever name for the event. 'The Last Potter Party' and 'Potter Palooza' were both vetoed by dh. I apparently suck at this.

I'm also trying to think of really clever details for the party. I'm going to have our sidebar covered in jars of candy and call it Honeydukes-people can fill bags for the movie theatre. We'll project the movie of the first half of the book on a screen outside by the fire pit. I'm going to make a lot of dishes from the books for a buffet (I have a cookbook). I thought maybe a wand decorating center. I'm going to get this gauze to hang on the walls and turn the house into a castle. But I need to list really clever details on the site.

Ready, set, go! :woot:

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 1, 2011

Jem, I SOOO wish I lived closer to you! :c I don't think any of my friends here are into Harry Potter.

I am sooo not creative, so I don't have much to contribute to this discussion. Sorry! Let me mull over this.... :)

4. ally06

ally06 Companion

May 1, 2011

Sorry Jem, I don't have any creative ideas at the moment, but...I want to come!!

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 1, 2011

You're all invited! I'll post the link for the invite when it's finished in case any of you locals want to come. ;) Peachy-come up for the evening! Stay at our place and drive back down the next day!

6. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

May 2, 2011

Do you have the cookbook from Mugglenet?

7. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

May 2, 2011

I'm already planning my (last, sob!) movie shirt. I have to get it made. It will say:
    We did it, we bashed 'em, wee Potters the One, and Voldy's gone moldy, so now let's have fun!" it's the line from Peeves at the end.
    You could do something where people create a name badge or something from one of the Houses. Or have an old hat as the Sorting Hat and they have to pick their "house" out of the hat. Such fun!!

8. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 2, 2011

Dh just vetoed 'Harry's Hoedown'. It's going downhill fast. ;)

Great ideas, Kat! I'm having four tickets available-each one is a different house. They are all the same, really, but I thought it would add a twist to the tickets. I like the sorting hat idea. I want a golden snitch cake. I'm researching candy for the Honeydukes area right now.

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 2, 2011

:) You know, I MAY have to talk my hubby into it, but if he says yes, then I am SOOOO gonna take you up on it. :)

10. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 2, 2011

When we did our last party, we made wands and T-shirts to wear to the movie. We also made time turners. Then we drank butter beer and other Harry Potter themed foods and drinks.The wands turned out really cute, and so did the shirts.

11. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 2, 2011

How did you make the time turners, MissCelia?

I came up with the name as I was falling asleep-Harry's Last Hurrah.

I'll post all my ideas as I finalize them in case anyone else wants to use them.

Kat-I have the unofficial cookbook from Barnes and Noble, although I'm finding a lot of recipes online, too.

Here's something else I need help with- there are four types of tickets available and each is named after a house from Hogwarts. I originally had them named Gryffindor Ticket, Ravenclaw Ticket, ect, but that sounds super dumb. Any ideas how I can name the tickets?

12. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

May 2, 2011

Aww, but I LOVED Potter Palooza!

I threw a Harry Potter party once. I had a trivia contest and gave little dollar-store prizes to the winners (chess set, plastic snakes, etc.). I also had four tables that were themed for different houses (so each table had the colors of a different Hogwarts house).

Maybe you could name the tickets after different Quidditch teams? Or maybe the animals that represent each of the four houses?

13. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 2, 2011

Hee hee-I may have to pull out Potter Palooza in a few years, when I'm going through book and movie release party withdrawal. ;)

I like the idea of Quidditch teams... but how to phrase them for tickets? When you look at the order form, it's a little weird to just see the name of the a Hogwarts house or a Quidditch team. It needs a noun at the end or something to clarify that yes, this is a ticket. And something to tie them all together so it's clear that they are the same ticket for the same event, just different names for fun.

I know it will come to me, I just have to stew on it for a while....

14. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 2, 2011

OOH OOH! Make the ticket a portkey!

Or you could make them all different magical modes of transportation - a Knight's Bus Ticket to Gryffindor, floo powder, a vanishing cabinet, etc.

15. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 2, 2011

OMG-Silverspoon! That's GENIUS! (I don't use 'OMG' ever, so you know it's SUPER genius!!!)

Ok. So I have:
    Knight's Bus Ticket to Gryffindor
    Floo Powder to Ravenclaw
    Vanishing Cabinet to Slytherin
    Portkey to Hufflepuff

SCORE!!!!!!!!!!

16. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 2, 2011

I love it! :)

17. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 2, 2011

Which one are you going to choose, Peachy? ;)

Here is our Honeydukes spread. I'm going to have to make the mold for the Sugarquills (hard candy with a sucker stick in it), as I cannot find a feather candy mold ANYWHERE. An alternative to purchasing the Acid Pops is to roll Blow Pops in Pop Rocks, but I'm using Pop Rocks as our Fizzing Whizbees so I'm just going to order the Acid Pops. The Jelly Belly Flops are purchased at their outlet and come in a huge bag for something like $7. They are mostly normal, but some of them are slightly deformed-good enough for this party. ;)

I'm going to hunt down a Home Goods store and get the jars from there, as the last time I was at one in Michigan, they had an incredible selection of really cool glass display jars. I'll set out clear plastic bags and metal 'scoopers' so people can fill the bags and take them to the theatre with them.

I'll start making the candy a few weeks in advance (hard candy) so that there isn't as much work to do the week of.

Honeydukes Spread

Chocolate Frogs: http://www.amazon.com/FROG-Animal-C...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B000EBMUNU

Chocolate Frog Packaging: http://www.etsy.com/listing/73061760/harry-potter-chocolate-frog-boxes

Acid Pops: http://hqj2v.tqbn6.servertrust.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SCK100

Bertie Botts Every Flavor Beans: Jelly Belly Flops
    Cockroach Clusters: Peanut clusters
    Crystallized Pineapple
    Fizzing Whizzbees: http://www.orientaltrading.com/ui/b...tafeed&sku=/K289&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=/K289

Fudge Flies: http://store.offbeattreats.com/merc...Code=O&Product_Code=FUDGEFLIES&Category_Code=

Jelly Slugs: Gummy worms
    Liquorice Wands: Twizzlers
    Sugar Quills http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VspcE56J3UE
    Treacle Fudge: http://www.mugglenet.com/misc/rosmertas/treaclefudge.shtml

Chocolate Wands: http://us.ebid.net/for-sale/star-fa...candy-mold-molds-41925549.htm?from=googlebase

And for good measure: http://www.silverenchantments.com/wiccanchocolatemolds_toolsofthecraft.html

Next up.... REAL food!

18. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

19. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 2, 2011

The Floo Powder!!! :)

And the food so far sounds amazing!

20. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 2, 2011

Miss Celia-that time turner is amazing! And that is the exact site I was thinking of with the wands. I'm going to have to set up 'centers' for the crafts. ;)

21. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 2, 2011

MissCelia, thanks for those websites!!! I bookmarked them for later when I'll have more time to work on those projects. :)

22. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 2, 2011

I love all your ideas. I want a Harry Potter Party!

23. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 2, 2011

I added a Thestral Ride for Children, as when I called the movie theatre I found out their ticket price is a lot lower.

I have officially launched the ticket page, but I realized it has my home address on it so I won't post the link here. But if you are in the area and want to come, let me know!! I'll send it to you in a PM. Or if you even just want to see it.

I'll keep posting my ideas for food, decorations, etc. here for anyone who wants to throw their own party.

Text on the invite:

Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much. They were the last people you'd expect to be involved in anything strange or mysterious, because they just didn't hold with such nonsense.

Luckily, we love the strange and mysterious! Come celebrate the bittersweet release of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part II, with us as it is shown in theatres at midnight on July 13th.

Visit the Jem residence beforehand and experience it's transformation into Hogwarts. Surround yourself with stone castle walls and flickering torch light. Mingle with other muggles as you feast upon a Potter-inspired buffet of dishes straight from the books. Fill a goodie bag with treats from a Honeydukes spread to munch on at the theatre (watch out for the earwax Every Flavor Beans!). Whip up a little magic while creating a wand or time turner. Watch the first half of the last epic novel on a big screen outside by the fire pit as you roast marshmallows.

As the clock strikes midnight, we will head over to the nearby movie theatre to say farewell to our beloved hero. Out of town guests are welcome to stay the night/weekend at our place after the movie.

Your ticket price includes admission to the movie as well as food, drinks (Butterbeer, anyone?), Honeydukes candy and prizes throughout the evening. Costumes are encouraged and rewarded!

Friends and children are welcome-just make sure you summon your tickets with a confident Accio! before June 13th, as all movie tickets will be purchased the morning of June 14th when they are released!

24. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 2, 2011

I'm a bit confused...are you really having a party, or are you creating a website for potential employers to see ( in which case, why not direct them to your Sprout and Realclassroom sites?) sorry if I'm not understanding...all the HP talk seems like a foreign language to me...

25. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 2, 2011

I saw the invite on facebook. It's really cute!

26. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 2, 2011

Yes, I saw it on FB too. Cute.

Czacza, this is for a personal party for her friends and family that she's throwing. :) I used to live a bit closer to Jem. Now I moved 3.5 hours further away. I am going to see if my hubby will let me go (he will want to go too, :) )

27. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 2, 2011

Yep, personal party. But if anyone here is close and wants to come, let me know! I know there are several A-Z friends in the Bay area!

And if you want to use the ideas for your own party, go for it!