Harry Potter Fans?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by ms.irene, Dec 20, 2014.

1. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Dec 20, 2014

So my husband and I are going to Florida for Christmas, and while we're there, we are going to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal (wheeee!). I am so incredibly, nerdily excited! I am just wondering if any of you have been and if so, do you have any tips/suggestions?

Oh....and um, does anyone dress up there? Because I am currently planning on wearing my MA graduation gown and my Hufflepuff scarf...but I don't want to be the only grown-up wearing a costume :blush:

3. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Dec 20, 2014

I am the biggest Harry Potter nerd! I read the books every summer. It looks like next summer we'll be in London. I'm so excited!!

Have fun and report back!

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 20, 2014

Number one...you won't be the only one wearing a costume!

Be prepared for long lines. You will need a 2 park pass to take the Hogwarts Express. Personally, I think the new ride in Diagon Alley is much better than the ride at Islands of Adventure. It isn't quite as stomach turning.

There is an ice cream store in Diagon Alley that is really good.

If you are staying on property you can get in earlier than everyone else. That will help with the lines.

If you choose to pay extra for the Express Line privilege, be aware that you can't use it for any of the Potter rides.

You will have a great time. The place is tremendous!! Have a wonderful time.

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 21, 2014

My mom went this summer & lines were HUGE!!! She said worst part standing in line like "underground" & no air movement...she said it was unbearably HOT!!!

6. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Dec 22, 2014

I am so terribly jealous, I told my husband that if I get my bonus this year, I am going to take myself.....just hop in the car and drive down.....

I'm green, green with envy!

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 22, 2014

I'm jealous too!! Have a great time!

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 22, 2014

One of the perks of living in Central Florida :haha:

9. WarriorPrncss

WarriorPrncss Companion

Dec 23, 2014

As a California Slytherin that has only been out of state once in her life. (To Nevada). I am highly envious! No advice, but have fun! I'm excited for you!

10. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jan 3, 2015

Do report back please! I would love to go someday.

11. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Jan 4, 2015

I am back from our trip, and we had a wonderful time! Even my husband who is not a huge Harry Potter fan had a good time and was really impressed by the park and its attention to detail. If you are a HP fan, and if you ever have the chance, absolutely go! In my opinion, it was totally worth it.

I got most of my information ahead of time from this site which was very helpful: Orlando Informer

The best advice I got was definitely to stay in a member hotel that also gave you early admission to the park -- ours wasn't on-site but since we booked it through Univeral, we got early admission both days we were there. The crowds were light both mornings, and the second day we got in extra early and were practically the only ones there for the first hour! Considering this was high season, it was a great deal, and the hotel itself was pretty cheap (at least by CA metro-area standards).

I don't want to give too much away, but having read and re-read the books, I was absolutely amazed by the level of detail in both parts of the park. We went to Diagon Alley first and honestly, walking through the entrance into this other world was incredible. Even the staff was wonderful, with every park member in costume and in character and willing to engage me in conversations during which my dear husband just looked on, mildly amused.

For me, it really wasn't about the rides -- I mostly just wanted to taste butterbeer and pumpkin juice, walk around Diagon Alley and tour Hogwarts. But I have to say that the rides were also spectacular. Neither my husband nor I had been to a theme park in over 15 years, and needless to say, the technology has...advanced since then. (I still remember Space Tours and Captain E-O from Disney in the 80's, and those were the last "cutting-edge" theme park experiences I remember!) The Escape From Gringotts ride in particular combined 3-D imagery, motion, and multi-sensory details into a completely new (to me, anyway) kind of experience. We went on it twice despite the long wait just since it was unlike anything we had ever done.

As for the waits, yep, they got long. The website I linked to (above) seems to be totally right, though, that the morning and evenings are the best times to be there since the place fills up in the afternoons. It was never completely unbearable, though -- we just took breaks at the busiest times. There were plenty of adults there without kids, too, and lots of people in costume -- I was happy to be representing Hufflepuff and got lots of comments from the park members who were happy to see house representation.

Long story short -- if you are lucky enough to have the chance, go! I was impressed and had a wonderful experience.