Harry Potter Classroom (Advice from all my HP fans)

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Jordan, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Jordan

Jordan New Member

Apr 7, 2017

So next year I am changing my name so I am wanting to change my theme. I have many ideas, but one (and it's a strong favorite) is Harry Potter. There is SO much you can do with that. My only concern is I know that Harry Potter can be a touchy book. Only due to some parents disliking witchcraft and some of the content. What grades from the youngest possible to oldest would you think would be appropriate? Why even dream about the room if it would not be possible. Happy Friday!

3. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Apr 7, 2017

I've not seen a HP theme in anything younger than 5th grade. It's an AWESOME theme idea but, like you said, it is a very touch book and I'd be cautious of how you implement the theme. Things like houses and points I think would be fun, and a few character things, but very very light on the magic side of the story. And definitely not below 4th or 5th grade, since the books are written at that level anyway and most kids younger than that can't read it (the youngest kid I've seen reading it was a 2nd grader but he was a very high reader whose family was incredibly encouraging of his education). Otherwise late 3rd is when kids mostly start picking up the first few books.

4. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Apr 7, 2017

I've heard of the theme in as low as 3rd grade before. You need to know your community and school environment for sure! I am HP obsessed though! If I was craftier, I'd do it in my HS classroom :)

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 7, 2017

I fully support a HP-themed classroom.

ms.irene likes this.
  6. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Apr 7, 2017

Same... I'd teach upper elementary JUST to have a HP theme.
    Or third grade, because they're awesome. But still. Harry Potter themed rooms are the best.

7. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Apr 7, 2017

Honestly, I'd ask your admin first. My sister once tried that theme, (5th grade), and a parent complained after the first day of school, and her P made her change her room.

8. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Apr 11, 2017

Might do this for my corner of the room. I have 4th grade language arts.