Harry Potter books

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Miss W, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Nov 7, 2005

I just got book #4 and am beginning to read it. My kids want me to read it to them in class, but I need to know a little more about it. I haven't read any of the other books, so I'm at a loss here. Who has read the book and has imput? If you do have imput, have any ideas on how to use it? Remember I'm with 2nd grade. If I do read it, it will be with my high kids.

3. smileyd

smileyd Comrade

Nov 7, 2005

I love the series, but I think that this particular book is not appropriate for second graders. You should read the first three books first, and then decide if you think YOU want to read then this one, but I don't think you'll decide to read it. THis book is beginning to get FAR to dark for lower elementary grade kids. It has several deaths in it, including a murder of a character the kids would have really gotten to like by that point in the book. The kids will love the Quidditch game near the start of the book, and most parts of the Triwizard tournament, but there are still many parts of the book I would not consider reading for that grade.

4. SportsFanTr

SportsFanTr Companion

Nov 7, 2005

There will be spoilers about book 4 in this thread so you are forewarned. The Goblet of Fire is the fourth book in the series. I honestly don't think it is appropriate for second graders, but I'll give you some details and let you decide. I assume that you and the kids you would be reading it with have all read the first 3 books, if not then I definitely wouldn't read it.

BEGIN SPOILERS

The book starts out with the Quidditch world tournament. During this, the Dark Mark appears and everyone goes crazy because death eaters are back. Nothing too greusome or bad in this part.

Then they go to Hogwarts. Most of the story is about the Twiwizard tournament while they are at Hogwarts. One student from each school is picked (3 schools), but Harry somehow gets placed in and gets picked although he is underage.

There are several events to this including dragons, and an underwater thingy. None of this is too bad for second graders still, although it might be a difficult read depending on how advanced these students are.

During the last event, its a large spectacle and it comes down to Cedric and Harry (both from Hogwarts). When they touch the cup it is a portkey that takes them to a place where Voldemort is (the real Voldemort back in his body). This part is very creepy, and might scare second graders; they would need to be emotionally advanced for their age, not just able to read at a high level I would say. Basically, Voldemort doesn't want Cedric, and kills him instantly. A big showdown between Voldemort and Harry occurs in which Harry barely escapes and gets Cedric's body and takes it out with him.

At the end of the book, no one knows what happened, the Ministry wont' believe Voldemort is back, and everyone thinks Harry is crazy in a nutshell.

END SPOILERS

Overall, this was a great book and my second favorite next to book 6, but I just don't feel its quite appropriate for second graders. I recommend you read the book completley through, which shouldnt take that long. This way you know exactly what is in the book, and if you did read it with your students, you would be prepared for what is about to come.

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Nov 7, 2005

I would not read it to your class. And if ever do teach a high grade level I would write home to parents before reading it. I have a friend that is extremely religous and would have a fit if she found out her children's teachers read them the book. I personally love the books and think it silly of her. But it is her choice not mine.

6. Bitsy Griffin

Bitsy Griffin Companion

Nov 7, 2005

I agree with the others, I'd not read it in class. I have friends who would also have fits over reading it at the secondary level. There is so much good out there, I'm not sure this is worth it.

Although, I've read them all and really enjoyed them.

7. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Nov 7, 2005

I loved all of the books to. And the new movie is coming out in two weeks!

8. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Nov 7, 2005

Thank you so much! That's exactly what I needed to know. Some of my enrichment kids are actually reading these books during their free time (they checked them out from the school library). That's why I wanted to know if it would be okay or not. I know the 3rd graders are into the books. I think it's worth 25 AR points per book. The group I would read it to are those kids, during recess time. We do a book club and if they decide they want to miss recess they come in. It's up to the kids.
    So many of the kids have read/seen the 1st three books/movies. They've been begging me, but I wanted to check with you guys 1st. I didn't want to get into reading the book and come across something.
    Mrs.Hodge-thanks for the pre-warning. I skipped over your spoilers. I want to read it myself and see what happens.

9. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Nov 7, 2005

And I will probably read it by the end of the week. I'm bad about books. Those and this site: my downfall. I have a plastic tub full of books I want to read when I get to it. I love historical fiction. I can finish one usually in a night. I tend to stay up until I'm finished with it. Novels will take me about 3-6 days, depending on how well written it is. Sometimes I can even be caught reading 2-3 books at a time.

10. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Nov 7, 2005

What are some authors of the historical fiction you like?

11. hatima

hatima Devotee

Nov 7, 2005

About reading Harry Potter to second grade, I agree some might become scared by some of the violence in the books. However older than that (at least 4th to 5th) personally I have no problem. Several Christians in my family have read the books and dismiss arguments surrounding the controversy. I love the books. A teacher advised me to have a list of all the books I have available for my students to read. Send home the list, (parent night or registration is best) with all the books I have. Then inform the parents if there are books you do not wish for your child to read let them know. The responsibility will be the child's not the teachers. (this is for upper elementary and higher). I would add a clause that books might change throughout the year if I buy more for the class.

12. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Nov 7, 2005

I know a lot of kids at this age level that love the books, but I would worry about parents being upset. My sister's mom didn't want her reading Harry Potter because of the whole witchcraft idea. And the 4th book is pretty dark. On the other hand, last year the Harry Potter books were some of the first chapter books my 8 year old brother really enjoyed.

13. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Nov 7, 2005

I love the Harry Potter books, but I would really hesitate to read them to second graders. Of course you know your kids, once you read the book (book 1, though, start at the beginning) you will better be able to judge. Also, the first book is the shortest. Even with my 5th graders, I don't read for more than 15 minutes at a time, they just arent' able to sit and focus on the book for longer than that. At 15 minutes a pop, you most likely wouldn't be able to finish the book. The BFG (Roald Dahl) is a really good fantasy book that they might enjoy.

14. jenniatek

jenniatek Companion

Nov 7, 2005

My son is in 3rd grade this year and has really become excited about the Harry Potter books. He's on the second one now. I've told him that he will have to wait to read the third one when he's a little older. I think it's too much for that grade level. I've read all but the sixth (it's sitting on my book shelf!) and I do think that as Harry gets older in the series, the events get scarier and more violent...so my son will have to wait a little while...

15. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Nov 8, 2005

That makes sense. Like I said, alot of my kids are already reading these books by themselves in the classrooms. By law we actually can't tell the parents what their child is reading. Rights for the kids. The kids I would have read it with are my enrichment kids. They choose to come in and miss their recess and be read to. We'll be finishing up "The Time Warp Trio: Knights of the Kitchen Table" today. These kids also are really into the "Spiderwick" series and "A Series of Unfortunate Events".
    I read the first 7 chapters of #4 last night. And really enjoyed it. I'll probably read around 10 chapters each night when it's time to go to bed. I have a hard time putting books down, so I have to limit myself.

16. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Nov 9, 2005

Wow. If we have that law in place, I've never heard it (about telling the parents what their child is reading). I don't know that it has ever really come up, though. Now you've got me wondering!

17. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Nov 9, 2005

Last year our Librarian really stressed it on us. She's not even supposed to tell us what the student has checked out. I asked her "Well what if we need to look for the book and the child can't remember what it's called? Or what if it's overdue, or lost?" That kind of got her to stop stressing it. I understand for older kids, but for the younger ones?

18. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Nov 9, 2005

What if it gets Lost? How does she send a notice home asking parents to look for it?

19. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Nov 9, 2005

I asked the same thing. She ended up printing out the books that the kids had overdue to send home. Talk about contradicting yourself. Good thing our new Librarian isn't like that.

20. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Nov 9, 2005

I really don't understand the law. Doesn't a parent have a right to decide what their child reads?

21. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Nov 9, 2005

It could be a state thing. Remember, my state is the same one that passed the law that no food rewards could be given in school. Not even snacks (except kindergarten if their lunch is late).

22. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Nov 9, 2005

Oh yeah you live in the silly state.

23. Houston Mom

Houston Mom Rookie

Nov 9, 2005

Is there any particular reason why you read the books yourself and not use audiobooks on cassettes or CDs? The person that reads the Harry Potter series is phenomenal! He emulates all of the various British accents perfectly and keeps it very interesting with his unwavering voice. My son and I read this when he was in the 2nd grade, but the dementors really spooked him for a while. They are all great books and it's certainly best to read them in order since they are continuations of the previous year at Hogwarts, but I am not sure that I do this as a 2nd grade class. Maybe a shorter alternative would be some of the RL Stine books, which are also available on audiotape free of charge at your local library. Even some of these can be scary, but my son LOVES them! Come to think of it, when I was in the 2nd grade, I was afraid of the witches in both the Wizard of Oz and Puffinstuff! We've come a long way, baby!

24. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Nov 10, 2005

I have heard the type. But I love reading it in my head better. I make voices in my head when I read the book.
    I'm just not audio type of learner so hearing it does nothing for me. I zone out even if I am trying to follow along in the book.

25. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Nov 10, 2005

I like to use my imagination of what I think the characters are like. I've been lagging behind. I'm only on chapter 17. I wanted to be on chapter 30 by last night. I might take it with me to my conference tomorrow. Those things can be so boring. I always wish I was at school with my kids.

26. Houston Mom

Houston Mom Rookie

Nov 10, 2005

When I mentioned using the Harry Potter Audio Books, I meant for the Class Readings. It's such a long book and would be very hard on your voice.

27. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Nov 10, 2005

It's also a time for me to bond with my students. They get to see me modeling good reading skills. For my reading club (my kids who choose to come in), I only have 25 minutes once a week. It wouldn't really be a problem. We all get comfortable together and read. Next week I'm bringing bean bags out of the dugeon (our storage room) and having them read with a buddy. The next week after that I plan on having a good book that I wont read in class.

28. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Nov 15, 2005

Okay. I finished reading it last night. It was pretty good up until the last few chapters. It seemed that she was just trying to get to the end of the book. I was shocked to see how low it was written. I was expecting it to be written at a little higher level. I don't think my kids would have a hard time at all reading this. I have decided that I will not read this book to my Reading Club. It will just take too long to read it once a week for 20 minutes. I may begin to purchase the series for my classroom though.

29. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Nov 28, 2005

Finally found book 5 and began reading it Friday night. No one was carrying it. They either had book 4 or 6. Anywho.. I'm on chapter 15. It's going kind of slow.

30. pamms

pamms Comrade

Nov 28, 2005

When you are reading the book yourself it allows you to stop and make comments or ask questions much more easily. Plus, I know I tend to use body language and facial expressions when I read. If each child has his/her own copy of the book, I suppose a tape would be good, but if not, then I think they benefit from 'watching' the reader. One other benefit is you have total control of what is read allowed. I know I frequently edit a word or a phrase here or there that just seems a little questionable for the kids.
    PS: I agree, Harry Potter is not appropriate for a teacher led read in 2nd grade. The material is too advanced and the controversy is simply not worth it.
    My latest favorite chapter book to read aloud is "The Tale of Despareaux" it has action and adventure (about a mouse) but is more grade appropriate for oral reading. Probably too advanced for most 2nd graders to read themselves.
    Pam

31. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Dec 14, 2005

Okay, I read book 4, then 5, then 1, then 2. I'm looking for 3 and will probably have to check out 6 from the library. I don't want to have to pay $20 for that one. I can get it for $15 at Sams, but can really wait for it to come out on paper back. I'm enjoying them so far. They are very quick reads.

What's your favorite book so far? Please don't give away the ending for book 6 since I haven't read it yet.

32. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Dec 14, 2005

They're way cheap on Ebay and Amazon. I never buy books in stores for full price!

Last Christmas I had enough Scholastic points to get several complete boxed sets of HP for FREE.

33. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Dec 14, 2005

Wal-Mart and Target are pretty cheap too. I was surprised how much cheaper they are than Barns & Noble, if they have the book in.

34. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 14, 2005

I did the pre-order thing at Books a Million with one of the books. What a mistake! It was all over Sam's at almost ten bucks cheaper! It's sad how much a difference there is in the price between the two!

35. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Dec 15, 2005

Funny huh!?! I bought book #3 last night at Wal-Mart for $4. Now I just have to find a cheap book #6 and I will have been caught up. I just haven't been into them till now.