Harry Potter- Book 7 Discussion

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Kat53, Jul 25, 2007.

1. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Aug 3, 2007

I wondered too what kind of role he played in Teddy's life. She mentioned him having dinner at their house but that was all.

2. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 7, 2007

Anyone out there still want to talk about the story? I know I'm a bit late at this party. I finished it yesterday and reread the ending from The Prince's Tale to the end. The chapter with all of Snape's memories hit me the hardest. I have suspected Snape having been in love with Lily since book five, but the fact that he was so violently in love with her to the very end...well I don't know how to say it...I was really moved. I didn't cry at any point during the book, but came close a few times. I almost lost it when Voldemort shot Harry. I kept saying "There's more story left. It's not over just yet. Keep going.":(

3. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 7, 2007

Oh, and about the quote I didn't respond to. Yeah, it may be "Just a book" but many of us have lived and adventured with Harry for the last 10 years. His whole world is like part of us, and watching the characters die is almost like losing real friends.

4. mrs.sparker

mrs.sparker Rookie

Aug 7, 2007

Absolutely

exactly how I feel.

5. teacheratheart

teacheratheart Companion

Aug 7, 2007

I know I was pretty disappointed in the ending. You don't really know who raised Teddy but I don't think it was Harry because they mention inviting him over for dinner and then inviting him to live with them. If Harry had raised him, wouldn't you assume that he already lived with Harry?

And in interviews I've read by her she says Harry and Ron are aurors and Luna and Neville might be together, and Hermione is way up in the Magical Law Enforcement agency but that just all seems kind of made up to me. I would have rather read about them making their way in their jobs than hear her talk about it in some interview.

6. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 7, 2007

Harry and Ron Aurors? I can see Harry doing that, but Ron has never seemed quite sharp enough. He's lovable and all, but not the sharpest knife in the drawer. What is Hermione up to? What does Ginny do? I can't see her staying at home full time. She likes to be in the thick of the action. Jo said on her website the Luna and Neville would never really get together. They had a kinship because of their loneliness, but really weren't much alike in other ways. I don't know. I'm guessing Andromeda (Tonks's mother) raised Teddy since she was his nearest living relative. She'd have done it in a heartbeat. I have so many questions after reading the epilogue. I thought it was really cool that Ginny and Harry named their son Albus Severus-he really came to forgive and even deeply admire Snape in the end. Despite the fact the Snape never really felt anything other than loathing for Harry.

7. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 7, 2007

Hermione said point blank at the begining of book 7 that she was not going into magical law, that she was "going to make a difference in the world." So I really have a hard time with this just now.

8. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Aug 7, 2007

I read in the paper that Ron was working with his brother in their Joke store. I also said that Hermione had worked for rights for House Elves and was going at the Ministry.

Finding out about Snape was a real surprise but a nice one to know that he was always good.

9. IUSB_Megan

IUSB_Megan Rookie

Aug 7, 2007

I positively BAWLED when Severus died. I mean, big huge tears, the works. My heart broke when he grabbed Harry's robes and said, "Look at me" and their eyes locked. I am still stunned. Just stunned.

10. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 7, 2007

My immediate thought when I read it was that the battle itself was REALLY well done, but I thought that the "final conflict" where Harry finally DOES kill Voldemort was a bit anti-climactic. I mean, he didn't really do it, the wand did. After writing the rest of it so well, it kind of felt like a let-down.

That said, I like the way she wrote the epilogue. Yes, a bit cheesy... BUT here's why I like it. When asked if she'd write more in the series, JK has said "never say never." I can TOTALLY see (eventually... not immediately!!!) some other books that follow, for instance, Albus, or Teddy, or some of the other kids... where Harry and Ron and Hermione and them are background characters... integral ones, yes, but not them ain characters. She left herself WIDE open to do that if she so chooses, but also gave it a bit of closure. You knew from at least the 2nd book that Ron and Hermione were going to end up together at the end :) And I'm still not convinced the Malfoys are good ;)

And I positively LOVE making Neville the Herbology professor. That was the only class he was ever any good at, and it's fitting to me that he's still at Hogwarts.

11. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Aug 8, 2007

I actually think it was fitting that Harry did not kill Voldemort. It seemed symbolic of the integrity of his character. It also was symbolic of Voldemorts, as in " you did this all to yourself- you only have you to blame." I really need to re-read because there were parts that I think went over my head. Such as when Harry said the Elder wands true master was Draco. ?

12. IUSB_Megan

IUSB_Megan Rookie

Aug 8, 2007

I think the wand belongs to Draco because of the Unbreakable Vow Snape made with Sissy - he killed Dumbledore FOR Draco. I know it sounds odd, but I think the vow has something to do with it

13. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Aug 8, 2007

That's interesting. I didn't even think of that. When Snape made the unbreakable vow with Sissy, I thought, " what is going on!!" I always thought she would make Snape out to be good, but I wasn't sure.

14. SpaceAngel

SpaceAngel Comrade

Aug 8, 2007

Back in HBP, Draco used Expelliarmus on Dumbledore and got hold of his wand. SInce he "took" the wand from Dumbledore, I think that is why he was the master of the wand.

15. IUSB_Megan

IUSB_Megan Rookie

Aug 9, 2007

YES!!! That has to be it! I completely forgot about that! That has to be it.

16. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 10, 2007

I din't quite understand this. The wand belonged to Draco because he was the person who disarmed Dumbledore on the Astronomy Tower. But then later in Book 7 Harry disarmed Draco and Draco was holding his hawthorn wand, not the Elder wand. So why does Harry get both? Why would the Elder wand belong to him as well? It does explain the wand Rond gave Harry not working-it would have recognized Ron as its owner.

17. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Aug 10, 2007

I thought that Dumbledore asked Snape to kill him
    because he had put the ring on his finger and it made him ill(my DH is reading the book at nights and that was the update I got last night)..... can some one clear up if I'm wrong?

18. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 10, 2007

Dumbledore asked Snape to SAVE him from whatever the curse was in the ring. Snape did the whole "stoppered death" thing and limited the curse to the bad arm, but that night they did make arrangements for Snape to kill Dumbledore sometime in the future. D knew he was living on borrowed time and that the curse in the arm would leak out and kill him. He just wanted to go on his own terms. That's how I understood it.

19. Lysander

Lysander Companion

Aug 10, 2007

I think I read on JKR's site that she is thinking about writing a more complete epilogue with chapter long "bios" on each of the characters, to flesh out what she only just started in Deathly Hallows.

The part that got me was Harry's son's name, Albus Severus. His explanation was just too cool.

20. SpaceAngel

SpaceAngel Comrade

Aug 10, 2007

Maybe if a wizard is disarmed, any wand in his "control" is lost to the wizard who disarmed him?

21. Amers

Amers Cohort

Aug 10, 2007

I heard about the bios too. I think JKR said she was going to write a sort of "dictionary" of the characters giving more background on them as well as where they end up in the future-not just the main characters either. I think she specifically mentioned Dean or Seamus having a great background story. She also said it will be awhile before she writes it. Still, I can't wait!! I'm so buying it!

22. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 14, 2007

I hadn't heard that about the bios. It doesn't surpise me though. After I read the epilogue and thought about it, it occured to me that JKRowling likes to write little books and sell them for children's charities. She did that with Quiddich Through the Ages and Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. I can see her doing the same with a more in-depth future of the characters from the series.

23. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2007

I just finished book 7 wow!! I loved it! I cant wait to see how they make that movie , there is so much important stuff that I'd hate to see cut out!!

24. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 20, 2007

I know. I am guessing the first half of the book (when they are just wandering around getting nothing much accomplished) will be severly condensed. The battle scenes will be really cool though. I am thinking of how Disney did the battle scenes in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe movie a couple years ago.

25. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Aug 20, 2007

quick question ....are we supposed to know who Victore is? The one who is kissing Teddy? Becuase I have no clue who that might be!

26. jaruby

jaruby Companion

Aug 20, 2007

Its been a couple weeks since i read the book but I believe its bill and flures kid.

27. Amers

Amers Cohort

Aug 21, 2007

Yes, it's Bill and Fleur's son. I don't think they tell us that in the book, but JKR mentions it in one of her interviews when she expands on the epilogue.

28. jellokites

jellokites Rookie

Aug 21, 2007

I heard that JK is going to write another series, this one being Mystery.

29. Amers

Amers Cohort

Aug 21, 2007

I bet it will be hard for her to write another successful series. Everyone will be comparing it to HP.

30. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Aug 21, 2007

hold on i might be very confused or i am reading the book wrong ..teddy is lupins son and victore is bills daughter ..? not bills son right :sorry: lol

31. Amers

Amers Cohort

Aug 22, 2007

LOL. Yeah, sorry. That's what I meant. It was early....

32. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Aug 22, 2007

its fine ..lol i was gonna say wow , i wasnt expecting jk to throw that one in at the end HAHA

33. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 22, 2007

son? I thought that sounded like a girl's name. I hope so if Victore was kissing Teddy Lupin!

34. Bitsy Griffin

Bitsy Griffin Companion

Aug 22, 2007

Victore was a daughter ;)

35. Amers

Amers Cohort

Aug 22, 2007

:blush: I know, I know....My brain doesn't work too well before I've had my coffee. I meant daughter, but my when I read "Victore," my mind thought "Victor," hence the son comment.

36. Bitsy Griffin

Bitsy Griffin Companion

Aug 22, 2007

Doncha hate those before coffee moments ;)

(I have way too many of them!)

37. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 23, 2007

Not a problem. I understand where you're coming from 100%.

38. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 1, 2007

Sigh. I just finshed the book. I cried for the first time while reading the book. I was VERY upset when Hedgwidge was killed, and I cried while Harry was walking to Voldemort. I had to stop several times. I never cry, but wow, that got to me. I woke up last night from a nightmare and figured I might as well finish the book. Oh my goodness. What a great book. I am so sad that it's finished, done, no more to look forward too.... I too am confused about a couple of things. I think, after a time has passed, I will go back and reread all of the books. Right now, I just want to enjoy the feeling and the memories of this last book.

39. roamer

roamer Companion

Sep 1, 2007

I finished it last week. I got stopped at book 4 and hadn't read any since. When movie 5 came out, my 15 year old son wouldn't let me see the movie until I read the book. So, I read 5, 6 & 7 back to back.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who loved Snape. I always knew he was good. I agree that the epilogue was cheesy, but I liked it anyway. That part actually brought tears to my eyes. I'm a hopeless romantic, I guess, but getting to that point was what the whole series was all about...defeating evil so love can reign supreme.

I wanted Draco to turn good. I really did. I could see him wavering, but I wanted something big, dramatic and good from him. I loved the part where his mother lied to Voldemort and said Harry was dead.

I have to say that I was a little disappointed in the book on the whole. I expected it to be a bit flashier. The first half was just plain boring, and when the action did happen, it seemed like it was more luck than skill or planning on the part of Harry, Ron & Hermione.

40. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 1, 2007

I actually really enjoyed the book. I also cried during the part when we learned that Snape really did like Harry and that his patronus was a doe. I don't know why, but that really made me cry. This was the first book I've ever read that made me cry.

They did spend some time in their tent- but they had to PLAN and that takes a while! :D I don't think it was boring. I was hooked from beginning to the end. I would have finished the book sooner- bought the book the day it came out- but school started and was too tired to read it.

Anyways, I'm SO glad Snape turned out to not be evil. I was so upset when he killed Dumbledore. I knew there was something more to it.