Harry Potter- Book 7 Discussion

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Kat53, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jul 25, 2007

After reading the seventh book I couldn't wait to get onto the forum and discuss- yet, I can't find any posts for the new book. Have I missed them? I don't want to spoil anyone's reading and give away any hints but I would love to discuss the book.:)

3. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 25, 2007

We've not had any formal discussion of the book; we've just talked about finishing it and wanting more!

I would like to have a discussion about it, too! I'm ready!

4. teacheratheart

teacheratheart Companion

Jul 25, 2007

Good, let's talk about how many unanswered questions there were!! And how she killed off SOOOO many people. It almost seemed a little unnecessary.

5. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Jul 25, 2007

I'm ready!

6. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jul 26, 2007

Also ready to discuss the book!! :love:

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2007

Who read the ending first? I really enjoyed the book but was very disappointed when I was finished because I knew there wouldn't be any more!

8. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 26, 2007

I didn't read the ending first, but I did rush through it to get to the ending! I had to go back and reread the last half to catch the details! LOL!

The death that upset me the most was Dobby's. I was just devastated! I did love how Harry completely changed after that moment though--so much calmer and more mature.

Did anyone see JKR on the Today show this morning? I missed it, and saw J'Lo instead. Yeah.:mad:

9. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Jul 26, 2007

My Husband went strait to the end first. He is reading it from the beginng and gives me and the kids the updates (he doesn't have time to read it all the way through at one time but sees how you all did).

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2007

I absolutely sobbed/wept twice during the book: the first time with Dobby, and the second time as Harry was walking to meet Voldemort. :( I had to put the book down both times to compose myself before I could continue on.

I found myself reading very slowly and deliberately (although I still had it read by Saturday night!) because I wanted to savor every moment of the book knowing that it would be the last.

I liked the epilogue, although I wish it had been longer. I think I needed to know that Harry was going to be okay after all.

11. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 26, 2007

I was okay with knowing that Harry was safe and Voldemort was really gone, but I thought the rest of it was kind of cheesy. The idea of high school sweet hearts marrying and living happily ever after... Come on! It doesn't happen much with *this* generation!

I was very moved by the Malfoy family sitting quietly in the great hall at the end of the battle. For some reason, that made me cry as much as anything else!

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2007

I really thought that Draco would have a bigger part in this last book. It surprised me at how few times he was mentioned.

13. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 26, 2007

Yeah, I think she really had set him up to be a bigger character, too. Do you think she just ran out of room? LOL!

Whose death surprised you the most?

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2007

Hedwig's death startled me and had me rattled. I should have known that something would come at us quickly, but I wasn't prepared for it. It bothered me that she was stuck in her cage and didn't have a chance to get away.

Dobby's death was the worst because I hadn't previously considered him a main character, yet I grieved for him like he was the most important one in the series.

15. teacheratheart

teacheratheart Companion

Jul 26, 2007

Hedwig's surprised me also. I was also really upset when Fred died. I thought it was kind of cruel to kill off one of the twins, especially since George had already lost an ear. ;-) I took Dobby's death really hard also.

I didn't like how you don't really find out how Fred, Remus, or Tonks die. You are just kind of left guessing. Especially with Remus and Tonks. It felt like she felt like more characters should die, so she just killed them off without any explanation.

16. Bitsy Griffin

Bitsy Griffin Companion

Jul 26, 2007

I had to read the chapter about the 7 Harrys -- the scene where Hedwig died several times -- too much was happening.

I cried too when Dobby died -- actually I just boo hooed.
    I did read the epilogue after just a few chapters.

17. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 26, 2007

Bitsy, did you read the epilogue because you were afraid for Harry? Do you think it affected how you read the rest of the book?

I've been debating this in my head. I saw a you tube video of some jerks going around bookstores with bull horns the night of the book release yelling out the endings. At first, I thought I'd be really upset, but then, I know how Romeo and Juliet ends, but I read it every time-- still hoping that it will end differently.

Here's the jerk who ruined it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL5NltsDWX8

18. Bitsy Griffin

Bitsy Griffin Companion

Jul 26, 2007

I have a bad habit of reading the last chapter first. I try really hard not to -- which is why I read a few chapters and then read the epilogue (I also read the real last chapter). BUT I just seem unable to help myself. I think it cuts down on the suspense that builds when I'm reading. I can take real life suspense but seem incapable of take fictional suspense. I'm a fiction wimp.

19. Bitsy Griffin

Bitsy Griffin Companion

Jul 26, 2007

I watched the you tube -- he's lucky someone didn't slap that stupid grin off his face when he was in the store. That little gal dressed up like hedwig could have pecked him to death and would have been cheered. Did you SEE the LOOK on that poor girl's face in the black and white outfit? poor thing.

IF I choose the read the end, that's one thing, but someone forcing it on me is another matter.

20. Bitsy Griffin

Bitsy Griffin Companion

Jul 26, 2007

I'm reading it again. I read it too fast the first time and missed things. I've also found a chatboard called Harry Potter Chat if anyone is interested in that. People all ages are talking.

21. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 26, 2007

Can you post the link to the chatboard?

22. Bitsy Griffin

Bitsy Griffin Companion

Jul 26, 2007

Ha -- sure, I didn't know if that was legal ;)

http://www.harrypotterchat.org/

I'm mcdirector there

AND I was hesitant to register because I thought it would be full of kids. It is, but it's full of grownups too.

23. mrs. dub

mrs. dub Companion

Jul 26, 2007

I read finished the book a few days ago, and then re-read it the next day starting from Snape's memories. I'm glad I did, because I had missed a page involving Draco, so the end makes more sense to me now.

Couple of twists in there I didn't expect, and I don't think too many died. I am very satisfied with the ending of the series, but like the rest of you I was sad that it's the last one!

24. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jul 27, 2007

I loved book 7.

I just wish it had been Neville to finish off Bellatrix and not Mrs. Weasley. Like it was sweet and all her defending Ginny, but I've always been a huge Neville fan and thought it would've been cool to see him kill Bellatrix.

The epilogue was sweet ~ a little predictable w/ Harry & Ginny married and Ton & Hermione married... but it was nice to know that "all was well." I wish we had heard how Luna was doing, too. :hugs:

25. Bitsy Griffin

Bitsy Griffin Companion

Jul 27, 2007

I don't think too many died either -- it was war and it was to be expected, but some of the deaths were hard to take. Lupin and Tonks -- very hard. Just understanding Snapes (even after death) and knowing he would not be back. I loved him just because he was so consistently wicked. Now I wonder when I reread the series will I read him differently.

26. brandit929

brandit929 Rookie

Jul 27, 2007

I really enjoyed the last book, but I could have lived with out the epilogue (It was just cheesy). I read the book all day Sunday after it came out. I cried to many times to count, but it was hard to think "this is the last book". I give credit to Rowlings, she did a good job ending the series.

27. mrs. dub

mrs. dub Companion

Jul 27, 2007

I agree with wanting Neville to finish off Bellatrix-it would have been more fitting. I always thought he would play a large role in the finale, so I'm glad he was the one who killed Nagini.

Did anyone get the impression that Luna and Dean were "together"? I thought I read something about them holding hands, and that made me happy because I love the character of Luna and wished we could have seen something about her in the epilogue.

28. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jul 27, 2007

I too need to re-read the book because I felt like I missed too much. The whole hallows thing didn't make sense to me until I had someone explain it.
    I hated having Hedwig die. That is the first part in the book that shook me up.
    I had two favorite parts. My first favorite was when, at Hogwarts, Voldemort said they have one hour to hand over Harry or they all die. Pansy said,"there he is" and all the different houses stood up to protect him. I loved that part.
    I also liked Mrs. Weasley fighting Bellatrix. Reading the above posts I can see how it would also have been really good to have Neville finish her off!

29. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2007

Not that I liked that Tonks and Lupin were killed, but I thought that with the way she wrote it, we got the same startling shock that Harry did...just my opinion, though!

30. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2007

yeah, i liked how she wrote that part but i think it was too much like the potters and harry. i think that she should have left either tonks or remus alive, if not incredibly injured or something. .but i cried a lot during this book. my only main question.... what the crud happened to the dursleys??? where did they go? did they ever come back? what happened to them? did they live? did they die?

31. Miss Steele

Miss Steele Companion

Jul 30, 2007

32. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 30, 2007

I want to know about the Dursleys, too! I especially want to know what those dementors did to Dudley!

33. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jul 30, 2007

I would have also liked to know about the Dursley's. Through Snape's memories, we get a glimpse about the rift between Lily and Petunia, but I would have liked to have known a little more. For example, when Dumbledore sent the Howler to Petunia in book 5 (?) about keeping Harry until he turns 17, I would have liked to have known how much she knew about the magical world.
    I think that is why J.K. Rowlings is such a good author- even with the conclusion of the series she still leaves so much to the imagination.
    I saw her on Dateline last night and it was really good.

34. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Jul 31, 2007

I cried when Snape died.

He was one of my of my favorites all along. I thought he must have been "good" - even a little. :)

Kelly :)

35. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 31, 2007

I was angry at first when she killed him off. From the beginning I have fought to believe in him. Even knowing why he did what he did, though, it would be hard for him and Harry to still live together. And they never would have known what he did if he hadn't been dieing. I am re-reading the book and finding details I skipped in my rush to finish. I cried more in this book than the other 6 all put together.

36. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 31, 2007

I loved Snape, but I knew he had to die in book 1. It's classic archetypal literature. If you sleep with the devil, you have to pay the price, even if you redeem yourself, ESPECIALLY if you redeem yourself... it's the only way anyone will ever really believe you.

37. apple25

apple25 Comrade

Jul 31, 2007

This was the first book that I have ever snuck a peek to see the ending!! I just couldn't bear to read it only to have him die. I thought it was great, but all the deaths during the final battle were hard to take. I like how Neville finished off Nagini - I thought it was neat how he had been mentioned for the prophecy at one time, and ended killing part of Voldemort.

I loved the epilogue, but I'm one for having "happily ever after" in my books.

There was a lot going on in this book - I know I'll have to reread it at some point to catch all the details. Expecially the three hallows - that was a plot that I wasn't expecting, and I had a hard time following it at points. But, overall, I loved being able to sit down for the entire day and read it!!

38. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 31, 2007

I like that she told us what happened to everyone, but I wish there was more detail there, more about how everything was pulled back together. I also wish Neville had found out about the prophecy possibly being about him. Overall I really liked the book, but at times I felt like she was rushing through things or skimming over them. I really was expecting a larger book and thought that it should have been larger to include all the details.

39. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 31, 2007

I really enjoyed reading this one. Like many of you, I felt like she was rushing the story, too. Unfortunately, though, she is the multimillionaire author, and I am not! LOL I just bought the book last Saturday, read it all evening Saturday, and all day Sunday after church. Finished it off just before 6pm! Again, my main critique is that it read like she was rushing to finish it off.

Anyone hear anything about what she will write next?

40. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Aug 3, 2007

I just finished the book last night. I loved every minute of it but was sad it was over. I cried when he was walking to see Voldermort and when he was talking to his parents and Sirius.

41. mrs.sparker

mrs.sparker Rookie

Aug 3, 2007

me too. My husband looked over at me and said, "It's just a book, honey." I fought back the urge to explain that it wasn't just A book...

I wish that she had done a 5 years later, 10 years later, then 19 years. I really want to know what role Harry played as a god-father. Was he as good as Sirius? Was he better?